Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have an ar-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and 30-06 bolt. I have an opportunity to purchase a 270 x-bolt, fair scope and sling for $600. Not a steal but a fair deal. What does the 270 do that a creedmoor or 30-06 or 308 or Grendel can’t do. Or should I say where does the 270 excel over the others?

·
reluctant sinner
17,022 Posts
It shoots .277 bullets, of which there is less selection than either 6.5mm or 30 caliber. I'd rather add a 7mm Rem Mag or buy more stuff for the rifles you have YMMV. The 270 is fine other than being somewhat of an oddball.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
I already have an ar-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and 30-06 bolt. I have an opportunity to purchase a 270 x-bolt, fair scope and sling for $600. Not a steal but a fair deal. What does the 270 do that a creedmoor or 30-06 or 308 or Grendel can’t do. Or should I say where does the 270 excel over the others?
Speed, the 270 is going to send a 130 gr pill between 2900-3100 FPS depending on load and barrel length.

Outside of this, at ethical hunting distances the game won’t know the difference.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
If you're talking pure ballistics

The 270 has the edge in drop, not by much

6.5 has the edge in wind drift, not by much

270 has better Maximum Point Blank Range

With a 270, about all you need is the 130gr bullet for everything, except for maybe elk, then a 150 will do

If I'm going hunting, I'm taking a 270.

Its more of a personal choice though

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd only get it if you really enjoy the X-bolts. They're great guns. If it's purely a caliber concern, skip it.
My 30-06 is an x-bolt. Beautiful rifle. It would cost an extra $500+ because I reload. Dies, brass, new projectile size, maybe new powder. It adds up.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,220 Posts
I recently wrestled with this on the flip side. I'm deep in .270 and ran across a good deal on a 6.5 CM. I wouldn't have bought it but for the really good price.

I've never shot 6.5 CM, but I did a lot of reading and I understand they are close peers.

I don't mind having overlapping calibers and it ensures I have diversity in ammo/calibers to shoot.

So, I bought it knowing that they are close in abilities.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
The Creedmore is just a case. The ballistics that if offers comes from the high ballistic coefficient bullets, only the long (heavy) ones, the short (light) ones don't really do any more or less than any other bullet of like weight/length in other calibers

For example, the .257 120gr bullet has a higher BC than the 120gr in 6.5

If you really want great ballistics, get 6.5-06 or a 264 Winchester Magnum, 6.5 Norma or even a bunch of others

The good thing about it is that its a short action case.....thats it!

There's about an inch difference in a 20 mile an hour wind at 1000 yards between it and a 270 or a 25-06 IIRC

A 6.5 Creedmore was developed for target shooting, the 270 Winchester was designed for hunting

Most any modern rifle cartridge at medium pressure will effectively put down a deer at deer ranges

Dead is dead

·
Registered
333 Posts
The CM may have been initially developed for long range target shooting, but it is just a modern, more efficient rehash of the 6.5x55. Which happens to be one of the most successful hunting cartridges in history.

The Creedmore is just a case. The ballistics that if offers comes from the high ballistic coefficient bullets, only the long (heavy) ones, the short (light) ones don't really do any more or less than any other bullet of like weight/length in other calibers

For example, the .257 120gr bullet has a higher BC than the 120gr in 6.5

If you really want great ballistics, get 6.5-06 or a 264 Winchester Magnum, 6.5 Norma or even a bunch of others

The good thing about it is that its a short action case.....thats it!

There's about an inch difference in a 20 mile an hour wind at 1000 yards between it and a 270 or a 25-06 IIRC

A 6.5 Creedmore was developed for target shooting, the 270 Winchester was designed for hunting

Most any modern rifle cartridge at medium pressure will effectively put down a deer at deer ranges

Dead is dead

·
Swirl Herder
3,626 Posts
Most 6.5CM rifles have (medium to heavy profile) barrels with 1:8 twist.

Most 270Win Rifles have (light to medium profile) barrels with 1:10 twist.

Fast twist rate barrels make stable flight of the long/heavy projectiles required for high BC and long range accuracy much more likely. Combined with the heavier profile barrels, 6.5CM has much better very long range accuracy potential.

for those interested in the influence of barrel twist rate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_George_Greenhill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_twist_rule

·
old gunsel
513 Posts
The Creedmore was pioneered by Ken Waters decades ago.
It’s a useful round in long range competition and hunting,
but I’d call the 270 a better hunting round just because of
it shoots a bit flatter at longer range. That being said,
a magnum cartridge shoots flatter than that.

All things considered, as was said, dead is dead.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
Maybe it would be better to compare platforms

As a good hunting rifle platform doesn't necessarily compare with a good target rifle platform

When talking about hunting, it also depends on "what" we're hunting as neither the 270 nor the 6.5 CM are considered adequate for elk, even though they have the capacity to kill given the right situation

Magnums destroy a lot of meat in most deer hunting situations, plus again, it doesn't take a whole lot to kill a deer and at most "deer ranges" accuracy is kind of moot considering a 30-30 has probably killed more deer and its probably the least accurate of all

There's a lot of great cartridges, a lot of great rifles.....pick one and enjoy it

The rest of it is just arguing like Ford vs Chevy or 9mm vs 45

I own both a 25-06 and a 270, in the real world, there's not a nickels worth of difference between them

One is a 12lb target rifle, the other a 7lb deer rifle, there's a world of difference when carrying them in the field!

Again, pick one and enjoy it!

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Maybe it would be better to compare platforms
This^^^^^^^

I was looking at a $400 Weatherby Vanguard the other day. Never been scoped, doubt that it was fired, but it’s “used”. Excellent trigger, the cool skull stock, in 7 mm Rem Mag.

If I wanted another rifle of that type, I’d get it, despite having no 7 mm Mag in my safe or ammo boxes, and having 6.5CM, .308, 30-06, 303 Brit, 6.5 Swede, 7.62x54R and 7 and 8mm Mauser galore.

Simply because the rifle is solid, priced decently, the rest are all wood and steel or semi-auto, and this one offers another option in my portfolio.

It helps that my SIL has a BAR in the caliber, so we could share a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts