Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the total length of cord used to make one of those?

·
Plants don't run!
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just out of curiosity, what's the total length of cord used to make one of those?
The inner black string is about 2 feet long, the OD Green is approximately 14 feet long.

It's 550 cord, there are 7 inner strands, but with closer inspection there's actually 14 (2 wrapped around each to form the one). The casing is also fairly strong as well. I'll try and find the numbers for the weigh loads on each separate piece for you.

·
Simple Man
152 Posts
I have made several bracelets of paracord and I have yet to use more than 6 or 7 feet no mater how tight I get those little knots with a single cobra knot. If I double that and make a king cobra knot I can get double that at 12-14'. How on earth do people get 25-30' of paracord wrapped up in an 8" bracelet? Im sorry but I have to call B.S.

·
Plants don't run!
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have made several bracelets of paracord and I have yet to use more than 6 or 7 feet no mater how tight I get those little knots with a single cobra knot. If I double that and make a king cobra knot I can get double that at 12-14'. How on earth do people get 25-30' of paracord wrapped up in an 8" bracelet? Im sorry but I have to call B.S.
I don't know how they get 25-30' of it either. No clue. I have about 15 ft total. I don't know where 10 extra feet goes. I don't have the largest of wrists, but I'm agreeing with you. I don't understand how to get that much.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts

Well it is really easy to get 30 foot in one....I use all one piece not 2 or 3 and instead of just being 1 center line there are actually 8 (the more center pieces the wider it will be...the most i got was 40 but took it apart cause hubby said it didn't wear right for him...he doesnt like bulky and it was borderline for him)which in its self takes up about 6 foot then how tight i pull it makes the difference too.......check back in a day or so and I'll have a vid of me unraveling it and showing you how much it holds. :thumb:

Made the vid tonight..uploading it to photo bucket now...this was hubbies lol...it was 8 1/2 inches long since I dont use plastic buckles I use the bracelets ends to close it. This one had 6 inner circles so it was only 25 feet and 5 inches using one round of cobra stitches.

BTW here it is before I took it apart...hubby was not thrilled but I promised him another one fresh and new lol...this was the second one I had made and I now know how to get it tighter and more compacted so my amounts have increases some....the most I have gotten so far is in a bracelet I made for a member here from Texas his was 33 a few inches....of course his wrist was also about 9 1/2 inches too.

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
bracelet is kind of a lame way to store cord . I don't like things on my fingers wrists or around my neck . working on machinery it's just too dangerous.
However wearing a belt is standard practice , and it would be possable to make a belt from shock cord in multaple stages, so that portions can be extracted with out breaking down the whole belt at once.
Let me work on that a while

·
6,173 Posts

·
6,173 Posts
bracelet is kind of a lame way to store cord . I don't like things on my fingers wrists or around my neck . working on machinery it's just too dangerous.
However wearing a belt is standard practice , and it would be possable to make a belt from shock cord in multaple stages, so that portions can be extracted with out breaking down the whole belt at once.
Let me work on that a while

You can use an existing belt as the center core and just do a large cobra over the width of the belt...use a narrow belt or make your own from 1 inch wide webbing a buckle....unravel the paracord and you still have a belt :thumb:

·
paracordoutfitters.com
369 Posts
All of the paracord bracelets I make use around 6-12' of cord. It all depends on the wrist size. You can figure about 1' of cord per 1" of bracelet using the cobra knot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.