Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My kingdom for a doughnut
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering here, I have a 55 gallon steel drum with lid that was used to ship pineapple juice from some random South American country. Since it's held liquid food stuffs, do you guys and girls think it'd be safe enough to store water for 6 months?

I can get that blue plastic barrels however since I have this one already I figured I'd ask.

If it's not safe then this winter I'm planning on sinking it in the yard as a dry well. Or.. wow I just thought about planting one of these in the back yard and use it to store some goods in. Maybe pack them in thick plastic bags for water proofing then seal the barrel with about 4 inches of top soil covering the lid. Mmm the possibilities.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
It'd be food safe, if that's what you're asking. :)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
As long as you clean it out good, it's plenty safe. Afterall, it held a food product in the first place.

·
My kingdom for a doughnut
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.. I didn't know if maybe there were caveats with using steel "long term". I'd assume that pineapple fluid wasn't sitting in there for months.. Anyway thanks for the advice.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has to be coated on the inside with something. Pineapple juice is very acidic and would have probably corroded bare steel.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
check with a local dealer handling the blue poly water barrels ...... he probably would trade you 2 for 1 .......
That's what I use. I didn't even consider steel drums. Not that I think it's a bad idea or anything. It just sounded funny in the same sentence to me. Steel drum and long-term water storage. I used preservative in my drums so long-term for me is up to 5 years.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Your drum shoud be fine since it was made for food products. However, I find the 55-gal drum too big. I prefer the 15- and 30-gal barrels as they are easier to move around should the need arise.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has to be coated on the inside with something...
When I was entering highschool my parents moved to a new house that has a bomb shelter beneath the basement. When we first moved in there were two 55-gallon grey-green steel barrels of Civil Defense water.

My father was converting the shelter into a wine cellar/tasting room. We were not about to try and get those barrels up the stairs to the basement, so we drained them of water first. They were lined with a poly bag of some sort. I sipped some of the water, tasted flat, but otherwise was likely fine.

Damn I wish I had hung on to those barrels just for kicks :D:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts