Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure somebody has already done this.....

I recently purchased a piles of 55 gallon plastic drums. These drums held imported olives from Greece and are absolutely 100% water and airtight.

The lid has an insert with a rubber gasket that makes it this way.

I am looking at the possibility of storing what I estimate to be about 250lbs of bulk beans and rice in this barrel which will be stored on my garage.

Dude to heat cycles I do not expect these particular preps to last beyond 3 years.....which is ok by me.

My question. Can I just slightly open the bags of beans and rice with no pre-prep and dump in a large amount of O2 Absorbers and call it a day?

Normally I would mylar bag this.....but because of where I am storing and the limited time.....I want to take a pass on that.

Thoughts?

HK
Sky Plant Tree Road surface Fluid
Automotive tire Fluid Rim Liquid Gas

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
The bags are going to interfere with the oxygen absorbers dong their job unless you put one inside each bag plus some extras in the barrels for the dead space. In opened bags, nothing is going to keep better than if you just poured the stuff in loose, so that's probably more sensible.

The buckets are semipermeable, but that shouldn't matter much if the stuff is going to die of the heat in just a few years.

PS: If storing in a hot garage, make sure you pick varieties of beans least likely to turn hard-to-cook. Although in 3 years, that may still happen. Heat is one of the triggers. Hot garages and food storage really just don't mix.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,595 Posts
I have 55-gallon steel drums, food-grade. Originally used to shipping shortening, pineapple filling, vanilla, etc.

I use them to storing grains. Barley, oats and corn.

I use desiccant, the kind that changes color when it is saturated.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,666 Posts
First, plastic drums are not air tight. Oxygen, and fuel vapors, will penetrate right through the plastic wall of the drums, so using air tight mylar is strongly suggested.
If you chose direct burrial, your plastic drums would survive just fine, and the lower soil temps would allow the food contents last longer.
Finally, heat is not the worst environment. Moisture is the worst. Exposure to fuels and ag chemicals is next. Oxygen slowly degrades foods, and heat accelerates this chemical reaction.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts

I recently purchased a piles of 55 gallon plastic drums. These drums held imported olives from Greece and are absolutely 100% water and airtight.

I am looking at the possibility of storing what I estimate to be about 250lbs of bulk beans and rice in this barrel which will be stored on my garage.

Dude to heat cycles I do not expect these particular preps to last beyond 3 years.....which is ok by me.

My question. Can I just slightly open the bags of beans and rice with no pre-prep and dump in a large amount of O2 Absorbers and call it a day?

Normally I would mylar bag this.....but because of where I am storing and the limited time.....I want to take a pass on that.

Thoughts?

HK
View attachment 442232 View attachment 442233
I’ve never stored food in something that big, so I can’t help, but they sure would make nice water barrels!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it sounds like mylar bags are goign to have to be it. Normally....I am fine with preps but finding myself increasingly thinking about a more severe food shortage in the coming months.

HK

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
first off - they make 55 gallon mylar drum liners for food storage - $$ cost VS capacity they are actually cheaper than going the 5 gallon bucket route >>>> Heavy-Duty Mylar Foil Drum Liners

why you aren't making more effort to properly store $100s of food - mystery?? - well worth the extra effort to construct a temp controlled room/cabinet/box for storage - use an independent A/C unit or tie it into home air circulating system ....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just to be clear on the food preps. I'm really not interested in having a giant garage stash. I will rotate this out if need be an donate the food.

I am still buying 55 lbs of rice for $29 and beans similarly.

This is for a "just in case" to top off my food preps in the house.

HK

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,951 Posts
I have a couple of steel drums... I use them for a mixed storage of clothes, hygiene, firstaid, asorted gear, and mylar foods. They are probably due for a restack and organize I had an excel file on contents, but I need to organize my files too LOL. These were done before I put hard copy prints of my stashes like I do in my 5gal buckets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have not used the 55g drums for food storage, only water. BUT I do use 30g and 10g buckets for food storage. I have two 30g barrels with metals rings that seal the top. I don't need for long term or air sealed as these are all 3yr or less storage. I donate to food banks if I don't use them in time. The 10g barrels are my favorite. I line with 3 large trash bags, then pour in rice, flour, beans, etc., tie off the bags with zip ties, then throw in some oxy eaters, then shut them up.

10g are easy to use, move, and a 50lb bag of rice almost fills to the top. Takes 1.5 50lb bag of flour to fill up. They may not be air tight, but they are water tight. I buy them used, fill 1/2 way with soapy water, close, put in back of my truck for a week upside down. The driving moves the water to clean barrels, and I know which leak. So far, none have ever leaked.

Here is a link to 15g version. https://offerup.com/item/detail/1406910761?q=barrells

If you buy used, make sure to smell the barrels. I bought some that had been used to transpo nail polish chems. The smell never left. I use them for non food storage, and also when going to the river, they make great gas cans.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
First, plastic drums are not air tight. Oxygen, and fuel vapors, will penetrate right through the plastic wall of the drums, so using air tight mylar is strongly suggested.
If you chose direct burrial, your plastic drums would survive just fine, and the lower soil temps would allow the food contents last longer.
Finally, heat is not the worst environment. Moisture is the worst. Exposure to fuels and ag chemicals is next. Oxygen slowly degrades foods, and heat accelerates this chemical reaction.
They are airtight by design , but are somewhat permeable- worse than Mylar, less than a 5 gallon bucket. You also have to wonder if the used barrel is still airtight.

put O2As in the bags, tape over the slit, and more O2As for the annular space ( that space which is not bagged product but inside the drum.

I package a lot of stuff like this in 5 gallon buckets- say 10 lbs of lentils in abgallon ziplock and pour corn, wheat, rice or quinoa arround it. I don’t need 35# in one bucket of split peas, or lentils, or aromatic rice (I’m the only one in the family who likes Basmatti or Jasmine rice- and I’m no rice lover). I allways try to pick something that will not render the food unusable if the bag pops- so no salt or sugar,

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
. I will rotate this out if need be an donate the food
Who's going to take a "donation" of 2yr expired beans/rice or food not in the original packaging?

I think your nearing panic mode. Calm down and stay the course. Think of more renewable sources for food or better packing/storage of the stuff your going to buy even if it means buying less.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Do you really intend to cycle through 250lbs of beans and rice in 3 years? Opening and closing it to use it would also lower it's shelf life unless it's sealed in multiple smaller containers of something else like mylar, inside the barrel. I really hate when preps go bad because of not being used, feels like such a waste.

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts

Thoughts?

HK
View attachment 442232 View attachment 442233
Yes, I've done it.. I first cleaned out our barrel soap and water, after it dried we poured in pinto beans and literally forgot about it. 6 or 7 years later I rediscovered it at mom's house in a corner of the shed with the usual crap piled on top.. Opened it and the Beans were a bit red in color
washed some, soaked overnight, put on a pot although they took awhile to cook and i changed water once through because the bean soup was a bit tart they were Ok.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts