Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 55 gallon barrel to add to my current water supply, just had a question for those that already use these. I am using public water that is treated, I have done some research and people still generally add bleach to this type of water for long term storage. My question is, is it better to go overkill with the treatments and change out the water every 6 months if possible. Just wondering how people maintain these supplies? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah It's highly recommended you cycle your watersupply every few months orso. Don't just throw out the water, you can always still use it to wash your car something like that.

Or have a plumber tap it into the waterline. If water is used in the house, it will cycle it automatically...

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 55 gallon barrel to add to my current water supply, just had a question for those that already use these. I am using public water that is treated, I have done some research and people still generally add bleach to this type of water for long term storage. My question is, is it better to go overkill with the treatments and change out the water every 6 months if possible. Just wondering how people maintain these supplies? Thanks for any input.
How much did they charge to ship it?

I would change your water about every six months to a year just to be safe. Use it to water plants etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah It's highly recommended you cycle your watersupply every few months orso. Don't just throw out the water, you can always still use it to wash your car something like that.

Or have a plumber tap it into the waterline. If water is used in the house, it will cycle it automatically...
Hmmm, never though of having it put in the water line, that would save a lot of work.

·
THE 1000yr LIGHT BULB
20 Posts
I went on craigs list and bought 55gal drums for $15 and 30gal for $10. I cleaned them with bleach (they were used for soda syrup ) and they work great. I use spa shock to treat them and they should be good for years. If you use bleach to treat them you have to retreat them every year.Just remember that the 55gal ones are HEAVY like 500lbs the smaller ones 2 people can lift if you need to BO.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I agree treat with bleach and switch out every six months. I also agree with Dragon there are way cheaper places to find water barrels from. I love Emergency Essentials but some of their products are way over priced. We picked up our water barrels from craigslist as well for $15 a piece.

·
What ya got theh cap??
47 Posts
The 30 gallon barrels can be bought for about 10.00 each at a Marine store. Just bought 5 of them for 50.00. washed with some bleach. Air dried them and now working on a storage area for them. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Got my barrels for $15 off Craigslist; cleaned em out good.. bought a R/O filter system and hooked it directly to the tank w/float valve.. tank tops its self off automatically.

put a garden hose spigot/bulkhead on bottom and raised it a bit off the ground.. Its 0ppm water; needs no treatment and I use it all the time for garden & houseplants since my tap water kills sensitive plants. When my son was on forumla it was also our nursery water.

I do cycle through it slowly, but I am thinking of getting another barrel, filling it w/RO, perhaps treating it concentrate hydrogen peroxide and sealing it off for LTS.

-R

·
Learner
2,457 Posts
I went on craigs list and bought 55gal drums for $15 and 30gal for $10. I cleaned them with bleach (they were used for soda syrup ) and they work great. I use spa shock to treat them and they should be good for years. If you use bleach to treat them you have to retreat them every year.Just remember that the 55gal ones are HEAVY like 500lbs the smaller ones 2 people can lift if you need to BO.
One gallon of water is 8.5Lbs roughly, so multiply the gallons by the number and add in the weight of your container and that will give you the weight of your barrel.

Our 55 gallon fish tank weighs close to 800lbs, with the glass, rocks(55 pounds for filtering) and the stand. For having a place to put it, make sure you have the measurement for the distributed weight. If all of it is sitting on one square foot of the house, then you have that much weight per sq. ft. You can mitigate this by putting it on "skids" Wood placed underneath it that spread out to make 3 sq. ft. will cut the weight of the water on the floor by a third.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
I treated 3 barrels with long-term-storage-preserver. It's suposed to keep the water for up to 5 years. I figured I swap mine out in another couple years. 3 other barrels I treated with bleach. All 6 about a year ago. I just went through the untreated ones to see if there was any mold/algae and they were still good. Keep them in a cool area and away from sunlight and city water should be just fine for up to a year.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I rotate my water at least once a year if not every six months. I use the 30 gallon containers since i find them easier to move at 275 pounds. The 55 gallon drums weigh in at 500 pounds and you will need a big dolly to move them. You will also need a barrel pump and get good bung wrench to open the spigots and to seal them back. Good to see you buy from good folks. I use Emergency Essentials a lot. I usually go by their stores in UT.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I change mine on the spring and fall solstices and use the water for my garden. I also add bleach to my barrels and various other water containers because it's better to be safe than have to drink stuff that's green. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts