Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
locomotive jockey
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason i should not use 55 gal. drums to store fuel? been locking for something other than 5 gal cans and dont want to spend $1000s for a bulk tank. are there any precautions i should take to vent/prevent fire ect?

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
1. Keep it/them in a relatively temperature stable environment.
2. Use a fuel stabilizer.
3. Don't build a bonfire near it/them, and you should be OK.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
i have a 55 gallon drum set on its side on a platform that feeds a kerosene heater. has been the same way for over 10 years without a problem. my dad did have it vented. the small hole is on bottom with a valve to feed line and the large hole is on top with a 90* elbow facing up to fill it. he "t"eed in a 1/4 inch line on fill neck to vent but turned it down so water would not get inside.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,591 Posts
55gal steel drums work fine. I've stored treated unlead in them for two years in desert heat and the gas still ran fine through both my jeep and my pickup.

I did not have the same good result storing gas in poly drums. They seem to allow some of the more volital components of gas to leak out as vapor. The jeep did not run well on the gas after two years in poly.

Not a real scientific comparison, but I'll stick to metal drums and fuel tanks for extended storage.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
this setup supplied a semi permanent kerosene heater with a chimney to the outside of garage. tank was outside behind garage and feed line came in back wall, passed through wall mounted changeable filter and into heater.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would keep them covered as well, either an overhang or a tarp. Maybe a WELL ventilated shed. Thats how we got through the "Gas Crisis" of the 70s.
Dont forget the Sta-bil/Pri-g!

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Insurance - Local Codes

You might want to check on your insurance coverage ...... especially if storage of a large amount of gas violates a local code ..... any problems and puff no cha cha cha from the insurance guys ........

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts
I store my fuel in 55 gallon oil drums. Always have. It works just fine, and they're designed to be sealed with petroleum products inside, so no evaporation, moisture absorbing, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You might want to check on your insurance coverage ...... especially if storage of a large amount of gas violates a local code ..... any problems and puff no cha cha cha from the insurance guys ........
how is a 55 Gal drum any different than having a suburban in your garage and two 5 gallon gas cans?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does EDTA preserve fuel well? It used to be said that EDTA would make gasoline preserve for 5 years... but I can't find any verification on the web.

·
Anyone?
3,586 Posts
I use them.

Make sure you get the steel kind. Plastic will flex as the contents expand and contract and will eventually leak.

Also, you'll need to vent them because petroleum products expand and contract A LOT with temperature change.

With my kerosene drums I just thread the bung plug loosely, to allow expansion.

With Gasoline, I use a special vapor lock bung plug that will release if the pressure gets too high. The reason for this is that you want to keep the vapors in unless venting is absolutely necessary with gas.

You'll also want to ground out your gasoline drums. File a bare spot on the drum, attach a lead with an alligator clip, and run it to a copper pipe you have pounded into the soil.
This is important as it will prevent static sparks when you're working around the drums so long as you ground yourself on the drum first.

As other pointed out, you'll want to treat all your storage fuels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts