Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
two shots from freedom
15 Posts
Those are nice designs. However in a survival situation your best bet is probably an Ugly Drum Smoker. I built one of those and it can hold 250 degrees all day with barely any fuel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got to agree with Survivor and AF-JAY, 55 Gallon drums have many uses.

My UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) gets lots of use. Everything, chicken, ribs, sausage, veggies, and my favorite, tri-tip roast cooked low and slow on this thing can't be beat. My DW said she'd never eat anything I cooked on that ugly thing,....now she's first in line.

I got my build ideas from this site http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/. A lot of good recipes to be had too.

Not sure I would use this Post SHTF, (You smell that?).

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
The rocket stove is a definite step in the right direction if you are looking for efficient combustion. It uses small wood and it uses it efficiently. Where your neighbor will burn four cords of wood to stay warm this winter, you'll burn one, and it won't be the heavy stuff he's having to haul in. Scrib-d has the rocket stove book available for download, and it is worth reading.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I made a rocket stove out of a small 10 gallon metal garbage can. It is extremely efficient and can boil 5 gallons of water in minutes, the thing is ridiculously powerful. A few handfuls of twigs power it for an hour.

I can't see needing a 55 gallon stove unless you are feeding an entire neighborhood, the small ones rock it out, and then some.

·
Registered
638 Posts
where do people find these things?

Its like everyone but me lives in a dumpster!!!:eek::

Seriously though. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these.

The nice thing about a 55 gallon drum cut in half is that its long enough to act as a pig roaster or as a functional forge.

But finding one that can actually be used is a bitch. it's usually full of toxic slag.

Any suggestions?

Log

·
Subculture
1,031 Posts
I learned to BBQ on a drum pit. My grandfather and great grandfather used them as a portable pit. Being from Texas, they used real pits that were huge and permanent. When I moved to Oregon, the pits were a no-no at apartment complexes. They want you to use gas....c'mon! you ca't make BBQ on a hot dog and hamburger cooker. I built a new pit up here and made a few great briskets and smoked hams since. Keep in mind that while I'm smoking the meat, the pit has a dummy propane bottle and hose to make it appear to be a gas grill.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I learned to BBQ on a drum pit. My grandfather and great grandfather used them as a portable pit. Being from Texas, they used real pits that were huge and permanent. When I moved to Oregon, the pits were a no-no at apartment complexes. They want you to use gas....c'mon! you ca't make BBQ on a hot dog and hamburger cooker. I built a new pit up here and made a few great briskets and smoked hams since. Keep in mind that while I'm smoking the meat, the pit has a dummy propane bottle and hose to make it appear to be a gas grill.
Sounds like a neat setup. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its like everyone but me lives in a dumpster!!!:eek::

Seriously though. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these.

The nice thing about a 55 gallon drum cut in half is that its long enough to act as a pig roaster or as a functional forge.

But finding one that can actually be used is a bitch. it's usually full of toxic slag.

Any suggestions?

Log
Scout out food preparation places. For instance the Hershey plant had tons of them. The place I knew that made herbal tinctures, bought their alcohol in them too.

Keep looking!

·
Subculture
1,031 Posts
These are the only pics I have from that day. No real pics of the pit. I can try and pry the camera from her hands again. (It's fall leaf season).

Here's a couple of the Brisket though.
After around 6 hours smoking

After 12 hours...nearly done.

I robbed the side shelf off of an old gas grill that was being thrown out. The cast iron grates I used for the racks were salvaged from a project at work that the customer never picked up. The Expanded metal racks I'm used to only last a couple of years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts