Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why ask, just follow the "YouTube" crowd. . . (I'm not one to recommend viewing some YouTube material, either, but)

Seriously though, it's not cheap to shoot. . .I just did a quick check over on MidwayUSA 12/$40? 20/$50 were just two quick looks, and that was for the 500 S&W Magnum, not the 500 S&W Special stuff. . .

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
How much is a 500 S&W and how much recoil does it have?
Depending on barrel length they run between $800 and $1100. They have a poop load of recoil,so much so ,that they are really just about useless for anything other than compensating for a small penis.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Got to agree a lot with Apoc'

This is a pretty hot round to shoot from a pistol for all but the skilled recoil tolerant shooter with more money than sense of practicality. To my way of thinking its a lot like a Desert Eagle in 50 AE, a great gun to take to the range and shoot while your hommies look on from behind and score cool points with as you boost your ego. The gun is pretty pricey in pistols, the manufacture is pretty proud of the ammunition and its not as versital a round as many others are. The only way I would get a gun in this caliber is if I reloaded and the gun in question was the H&R Handy Rifle.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Depending on barrel length they run between $800 and $1100. They have a poop load of recoil,so much so ,that they are really just about useless for anything other than compensating for a small penis.
How true, the barrel on my 500 is longer than my willie, it shoots a heavier load, and has much more recoil!:D:

·
Registered
189 Posts
well my 500 cost $1150 and ammo is like $60 for 50 rounds and the recoil aint so bad if yer used to it, but if u aint it will knock u on yer a*s

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
When you pull the trigger the clapping you hear is not the onlookers applauding a great shot...its your shoulder blades...

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have never shot one, but I tend to agree with others who have said it is kind of a useless round. Get something a bit more practical ie a .357 magnum or a .44 magnum if you must. Personally I like the .357 because it does anything a normal person needs a pistol to do, and it doesnt kick that bad. Might I recommend a ruger gp 100, it is about 1/2 or less the cost of the S&W 500, and has plenty of power.

If you must go with the S&W 500, all I can say is...i'm glad its your hands and not mine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In grizzly country 44mag is considered the minimum FYI.
I've been in the market for the S&W 500 for quite some time and have read and learned a lot about this gun. Prices are spot on and they are quite nose heavy with the longer barrels and they are definitely a two handed gun not just because of the weight but of the risk of injury. One man said it best two hits with a 44mag are better than one miss with a S&W 500. You hit a grizzly in the head with it and you'll drop it in it's tracks!

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
How much is a 500 S&W and how much recoil does it have?
At Scheel's in Rapid City S.D. they had a 500 for $995.00 in nov.08....At Gander S/W of Chicago in early jan.09 they were $1,400 !!!!!!:eek:At a gun store S/W of Chicago on 01-26-09 they were $1,095.00..........I forgot to add these were all with the short barrel stainless with orangr rubber grip...I beleive they call it the Survivor..It comes with a rubber case ect..

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Sorry, a 50 cal handgun is definately too big to be tactical. I would argue that even a .44 is too big if you're not a big fella.

Biggest round for me would be .357, need more power? Get a rifle.

I've hold a 50 cal S&W revolver once. It was relatively light, I expecte it to be heavier. So I guess it gives a nice punch back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts