Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have no military training.

However I have dropped 2 pigs (2 separate incidents) hauling butt at me inside of 15 yards with a scoped rifle.

Rifle was sighted for a 100 yards, but I don't even remember seeing the pigs through the scope. I just swung down on the pig and pulled the trigger. Both pigs dropped in their tracks.

Know your rifle, inside of 50 yards its probably point shooting anyway.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
OK guys I'm a bit confused here.

I'm shooting a 1X red dot out of an AR-15. A lot of what I read says do a 50 yard Zero but here is my question.

If you have a 50 yard zero and you shoot at 25 yards...the bullet will hit 1 to 1.5 Low. So at 15 yards is it what? 2.5 low?

If you are really close let's say 5-10 yards and you have to take a precise shot and hit within 1" do I still need a 50 yard zero....and what not a 25 yard zero?

A 1X is a fighting optic....so wouldn't you want all the accuracy to be 50 yards and under?

Thoughts?
HK
I zero everything at 100 yards. I once did a distance test with my DDM4 16.1" using 75gr Gold Dot and my 1.54" mounted NXS 1-4. At 100, it was within 0.5" of POA (1.2moa gun/ammo). At 75, same thing. At 50, same thing. At 25, it was about 1.3" low. I also find that weapons zeroed at 50 tend to have a lot more lateral drift pushed out to 200 or so. Might be enough to miss an 8" plate, completely, even. People typically shoot 3-5 shot "groups" and call it "good enough", but it isn't, especially when you're only at 50, and the zero is very weak. If you insist on a 50 yard zero, shoot no less than 10 round groups, and if you aren't shooting 1.5" or smaller groups at 50, then it's going to be really tough.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
I have no military training.

However I have dropped 2 pigs (2 separate incidents) hauling butt at me inside of 15 yards with a scoped rifle.

Rifle was sighted for a 100 yards, but I don't even remember seeing the pigs through the scope. I just swung down on the pig and pulled the trigger. Both pigs dropped in their tracks.

Know your rifle, inside of 50 yards its probably point shooting anyway.
No it's not. Weapons have sights. Unless you have the muzzle jammed into your target, you use them. You can't even get away with what you suggest playing PUBG, much less the real world, unless it's a very well fitted shotgun and a clays course, lol

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
< 50 yards...Center of Mass...who gives a ****

Butt stroke the mofo

This question is serious overthinking
Thing is, people getting shot at (as well as animals simply making their way through the woods) often do not present in full-on profile. Targets of opportunity are a thing. A food or knee behind a bumper, a half face behind a gun peeking around a corner, you name it. High contrast full frontal B-27's are not the real world or we would not have such a push for the SCO.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
The one I had to make to pass the carbine final, half of the hostage takers head visible from behind the hostage's head at 37 yards. (missed the warden's ear by 1/16", hit the inmate in the eye. Okay I got lucky.)
Exactly. Real world use. Could be a hostage, could just be a racoon peeking out from behind your coop, but what I am confident in, is that it will never be a naked Black guy in front of a white wall with invisible lat syndrome.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Exactly. Real world use. Could be a hostage, could just be a racoon peeking out from behind your coop, but what I am confident in, is that it will never be a naked Black guy in front of a white wall with invisible lat syndrome.

Godddaaammmn , that was not coffee safe. Warn me next time you do that , but hell the monitor screen is now clean.

Thanks for the laugh.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,437 Posts
I am no AR expert even though I have one. It seems to me like everyone mounts their scope up high enough to clear that silly carrying handle some ARs have on top.
My AR has no carrying handle, and I mounted a scope nice and low atop the barrel. So most of this close range offset issue goes away.

To me, it is a rifle, like any other in that I will be accurate with it and use the scope.
At close range I am more than competent to hit the target without the scope.

My AR also did not come with iron sites (I know, I know, I am going to tactical hell for that), so no need to have the scope higher to clear them either.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just picked up a sig sauer tango6 with the m855a1 SFP reticle for my URGI build. I was debating zeroing for 100. Decided to go with 36yrd zero like my other ARs
1 same zero on all my 5.56 ARs
2 36yrd zero is IMO hands down best zero from 0~300
3 ran the math for the BDC for 36yrd zero vs recommended 100m zero and came out to about a 50yrd diff so the 300 line in reticle is actually 350, 400=450 and so on.
4 not for precision work.

I like the SFP for this use, the reticle stays the same size regardless of magnification.

but as has mentioned a few times 36yrd zero for me started using it 2+ years ago and really like it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
OK guys I'm a bit confused here.

I'm shooting a 1X red dot out of an AR-15. A lot of what I read says do a 50 yard Zero but here is my question.

If you have a 50 yard zero and you shoot at 25 yards...the bullet will hit 1 to 1.5 Low. So at 15 yards is it what? 2.5 low?

If you are really close let's say 5-10 yards and you have to take a precise shot and hit within 1" do I still need a 50 yard zero....and what not a 25 yard zero?
50 yard zero then LEARN YOUR HOLDOVER. Its a training issue, I can put a round in a 1" box at 5-10 yards with a 50 yard zero because I train to it. Generally your hold over with a 50 yard zero is the same 25 yards and in so you aren't hitting much different at 10 yards than you are at 20. It also teaches you the HUGE weakness of most bullpups. The optic ends up crazy high over the barrel so your hold overs get in the 3.5-4" range with a 50 yard zero. Most know too little about shooting accurately to understand this.

·
Registered
571 Posts
< 50 yards...Center of Mass...who gives a ****

Butt stroke the mofo

This question is serious overthinking
"Center mass" is taught to the military because they teach to the lowest common denominator. Its a bad place to put rounds if you shoot well enough to hit where you want and plan to be effective. This is lazy advice, accuracy matters in a world where there are people around that you're trying not to shoot.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
This is lazy advice, accuracy matters in a world where there are people around that you're trying not to shoot.
Plus more and more military threats universally issuing body armor. Minute of Man ain't good enough.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts