611 Posts
Corn... 0%
Okra.... 0%
Green Beans.... 10%

Squash.... 3000%
Tomatoes. 2500%
Green Chilis and Jalapenos.... 2000%
Green Leaf and Red Leaf Lettuce... 200%

I will be smart in what I plant next year.

My whole garden failed, to hot to early. (Tomatoes and cucumbers.)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Corn... 0%
Okra.... 0%
Green Beans.... 10%

Squash.... 3000%
Tomatoes. 2500%

You cant be smarter… next year for you it moght be corn 80%
Okra5000%
Beans 50%
squash 0
Tomatoes 250
And peppers 500
Okra the last 3-4 years has been dismal so yhe last two years i havent planted much this year i knly planted 3 and have gotten a couple of gallons…shouldnhave planted 30.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am a permaculturaliast so i have some tips. Play the law of averages. Youll find tried and trues that will work most all years. For me herbs are perinneal bayleaf, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Annual basil and cilantro. I have green onion i leave in ground we harvest freash about 6 months of the year so i just buy some red onion on occasion. Inalso have walking onion which is great. Tomatoes and peppers do better here fall-winter and i to early spring. Try and follow rain cycles. I am banking on a dry fall and winter because spring and summer is so wet.
Save seeds in jewelry bags. Wash wet seeds in ss mesh strainers under warm water and put on paper plates a d into bags. Dry seeds leave on and harvest pods.

·
Proud American Dad
4,803 Posts
I have wondered what's up with the intense UVI stuff this year. I don't remember that from previous years. (I'm in 6b, too, between Knoxville and Nashville.)
A lot of folks in western Ohio, in Zone 6, all had serious issues. One fellow in Napoleon, (10 mi south of Michigan, and 35 mi east of Indiana), had a staggering 80% loss, and the rest does not look good. In his own words, "this is why you make a lot to sustain you over the lean years". One person I know in Bluffton said that the tomatoes on the north side of the fence did better than those on the south side. The sun's intensity was just too much.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Done this been there in zone 5b. As others have said: this is why we plant a lot and a wide variety. We've had storms with 70mph winds rip the plums from my trees! It's raining today. My tomatoes are rather short but my tomatillos have set lots of fruit and I'll be eating squash until perdition! Peas and beans have been terrible. Herbs have been great, outdoor mushrooms have been meh. This is the nature of gardening. Plant, hope, and garden on!

·
Premium Member
Very
1,717 Posts
Corn... 0%
Okra.... 0%
Green Beans.... 10%

Squash.... 3000%
Tomatoes. 2500%

John- depending on your soil, try putting fish in the ground about 12-14 inches below corn beans squash okra.
always Had a crop

·
Proud American Dad
4,803 Posts
We've had storms with 70mph winds rip the plums from my trees!
Part of the problem in our neighborhood were the loss of trees with ice and violent thunderstorms. I would estimate 70%. So now the areas where we would grow would get sunlight nearly all the time, rather than the slow ramping up due to shade in the morning and afternoon.

·
That'll be the day...
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What happened?
Water issue?

Our little town sits on a river, where we have nearly unlimited water rights. The river water is pumped by the town and is free water. I have never had a shortage of water.

Corn was a weird one..... My corn plants grew tall and healthy, but no ears of corn.

It took my Okra plants about two months to grow up about three inches. Then they just wavered....

Maybe it was a temperature issue this year. It seemed to take a really long time before our overnight temps climbed above 50 degrees and then.... within about 2 weeks, we were over 95 degrees in the heat of the day, upwards of 100-102 on some days. There just weren't days with temps that were moderate.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My garden seems to just tolerate my well water . We had a long dry spell in the midwest that slowed many plants way down.
Definitely need/want to use some shade cloth for the raised beds.
Not sure how durable it is as we have some winds at times.

·
Proud American Dad
4,803 Posts
@Big_John .... I can't speak for your area, but this year in western Ohio the heat and UVI was off the scale. As I'm replying, my weather station shows at 1PM a UVI of 8, which is very high. Light level is well over 825. But what a lot of people have been saying is that the nights don't cool to the point where temps drop below 75. Most nights have been hanging in at 80 or more. The plant doesn't have a chance to cool down. All the tomato plants I've seen have their leaves curled in stress.

On nice thing about moving north is cooler days, but the U.P. is known for several months of 90, and more than a few of -20. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Herbs are weeds that happen to taste good, I defy you to screw them up 😆. Chilis (peppers is a misnomer) are just about foolproof but are not cold tolerant at all. Some things, like corn, require a certain number to pollinate each other and grow well. Others are right, some years some things just don't thrive.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
My garden is about the worst in a long time. Started out to wet to plant, then 6 weeks behind and to warm to plant the cool crops.
Then the heat hit. Hard to keep enough water on it.
The big 0 plants that didn't make it or turned bad....Beets. Turnips. Zukes. Beans.
Course every year there is something I'm not happy with.
Thats another reason I overplant tomatoes and peppers. They are the bases for our canning.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts