Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever tried building a PSP (post shored polyethylene) underground house here? Im looking for practical experience here.

I'm looking at the idea for its obviously defensible, earth sheltered design.

here's a link to what I'm asking, if anyone isn't familiar...

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Nice web site. I have worked on some underground housing before with friends but most have used concrete tech like from Monolithic folks. Not really familiar with this guy. If it works do it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If you have a budget for it a sea freight container buried will do the trick but the steel will rust so it must be preped with epoxy paint like they use on river barges. The inside can be foamed with the spray stuff this seems to stop all rusting as the air has a hard time getting to the steel. Sometimes they can be had cheep but you gotta shop for them. Allot of companies will deliver them to your site.
I would need a big one because I can't stand small places :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
While I don't have any personal experience, I have his book and it does sound very reasonable. He goes into further detail on a few of the posts which had problems and how they were corrected in his book and a few other places on the Internet. Mother Earth News has a good series of articles on both his projects an other underground building tech. $50 and up is a little deceptive, as that price was what it cost him in the 70's but you get the general idea.

Newer methods of coatings for posts are more environmentally friendly then what they had going in the 70's. His garbage bag method of protecting posts might not work as well now as I hear that the bags are supposed to break down quicker in landfills, could be all hype though.

If nothing else a root cellar for a initial test might be a functional way to test the concepts, the author has a sample green house made the same way, well worth a look at that too.

Nom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts