Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 403 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a joking sort of way, I am in my 50's and I am shooting to get the body back, that I had in my 30's. (With obvious concessions of course! Two knee surgeries on the left leg.... yeah, I ain't going to be doing 1/4 Iron Man Comps like I did in my 30's). But, I do want to be lean and mean and fit.

Yep, I was the guy that started the BLOG below, 50 LB Challenge. At best, I think I made it to 34-35 lbs lost. Not bad, but never hit the goals for a myriad of reasons, including a severe motorcycle accident.

Time for a restart..... And I do know that keeping a regular BLOG and the associated accountability is a very good thing for me.

Three times I have lost a ton of weight on Adkins. Once, I lost 40+ lbs on HCG. Here and there I have been able to be very disciplined and dropped 10-15 lbs. But nothing has stuck. Super low Carb diets do not work for me in the in long run and I certainly can't do them while working out.

So I stumbled upon this book......

Glycemic Load Diet, by the Cardiologist, Dr. Rob Thompson.

Makes a lot more sense for a long-term nutrition plan that the wife and I can stick too.

The advice is really, super simple. Just avoid starches, to keep blood sugar leveled out. No calorie counting. No carb counting. Zero attention to macro-nutrients. Simply don't eat starches... and eat as much as you want and need for the activity you have on a daily basis.

AND!!!!..... walk. Dozens of studies have shown that the most successful exercise for long-term weight loss is walking. Walk for 30-60 minutes at least once every 48 hours.

It might be boring for some, but I am going to post what I do (and don't do) and how it is going. I hope to pay attention to my own posts, so that I can look back, reflect and learn more.

Cheers!

Edit.... We bailed out of the Glycemic Load Diet and moved to a Keto Diet after two weeks. We weren't loosing the amount of fat that we wanted on GLD. On Keto, we are loosing like crazy. I suspect once we loose weight to our target goals on Keto, we will move to the more balanced GLD.

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last three weeks, I have made some HUGE changes.....

1. Cut back on Alcohol consumption dramatically.
2. Lifting free weights every 3rd day.
3. Either walking with the wife for 60 minutes, or Elliptical.... or strenuous manual labor around the house all day.
4. Slowing cutting carbs out of my diet.

Yesterday, Monday the 13th of April, the wife and I started our "Starch-free Nutrition Plan".

I lifted yesterday and am doing 3 sets of Bench and Squats, along with 2 sets of dumbbell rows, 'Good Mornings' (back extensions), dumbbell Military Press and Curls. I am getting pretty strong, with 10 reps of 185 on Bench and 6 reps of 185 on Squat.

This morning I stepped on the scales and weighed 278. I won't post body weight all the time, but will post when I feel I have hit a milestone.

I just turned 52 years old and I am 6'4". I was a 4 sport High School athlete, eventually playing Div. 2 Basketball at the Collegiate Level. For 5 years in my 30's I was training for Marathons and I competed in 1/4 Iron Man Competitions. Here in the Rockies the wife and I ride motorcycles on the trails and road. We hike and camp and explore. We are also season holders of Ski Passes and usually get about 15-20 ski days a year.

It greatly behoves me to drop about 60 lbs..... for the lifestyle I desire in my 50's, 60's and beyond.

No walking today, as it was 7 degrees this morning and 8" of new snow. And no Elliptical, as I am working on the floors of our house all day.

Cheers!

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who has heard of the "Carb Flu" (Keto Flu)?

For the last week, the wife and I have both been dealing with..... Complex Carb/Processed Carb/Sugar Withdraw. When I was younger, it would manifest as a blood sugar headache. Now in my 50's it is nausea and some joint aches.

I'm ready to get past the adjustment phase!

Also, in my labor on the floors yesterday, I hit the wall regarding a lack of energy, feeling really weak. I shouldn't have let it go this far, but I was focused on my work. I immediately grabbed a Pear and ate half of it (sharing the other half with the wife). Within 15 minutes, I was ship-shape and feeling great.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I’m 53 and your posts resonate. I would note that 50 may be the new 30 (or so people say) but 9:00 is also the new midnight! In other words, recovery is crucial. I don’t recover like I used to. That doesn’t mean that I can’t do an amazing amount and build up to more but I can’t do it two days in a row. I still do some tough pack outs during elk season but I take two or three days after one before I try something like that again. I think back to my army days and I really think I could go to Afghanistan right now and hang with any unit there on combat operations for 24 hours. But after that I’m not going to be any good for several days.

Sort of like Toby Keith singing, “I ain’t as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was.”

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
Rather than extreme diets
Consider a Mediterranean Diet

It is high glycemic carbs that cause problems
Not complex carbohydrates

The longest lived populations are are startch based
Check out the Startch Solution by John McDougall M.D.

Or just study the longest lived populations
In the Blue Zones
See what they eat
A lot of the right carbs = longest life and the least health problems

Good for you to keep trying to find the right lifestyle for you

Just read another study that finds that walking = health and longevity
I try and walk for two plus hours a day and add in other exercises
The new study thatbany for of walking works
Strenuous or leisurely as long as you just walk or as they say, just do it

"Steps For Longer Life: The More You Walk, The Less Likely You’ll Die, Study Finds"

https://www.studyfinds.org/steps-fo...u-walk-the-less-likely-youll-die-study-finds/

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glycemic Index Values are flawed because there isn't a consistent serving size. Glycemic Load corrects for this and that is what Dr. Thompson's book is based on. An example is Watermelon. On the Glycemic Index you wouldn't eat it, but on the Glycemic Load Value you can. It is all about the quantity.

I honestly don't know the difference between the Glycemic Load diet vs the Mediterranean diet, but I bet they aren't far apart.

We do not feel deprived. Matter of fact we just feasted on Fajita Burritos (used a high fiber, low carb tortilla). For lunch we had a great German dish of cabbage, onions, pears and sausages for lunch. I had a spectacular omelette for breakfast.

Sure, I would like Pancakes and Sandwiches, etc..... But I know my body well enough to know that "the whites" are completely off limits. No starches and no sugar......

Today I did the Elliptical for 30 minutes. I slowed down to keep my heart rate right around 120bpm. I could tell it was effective. I would like to increase to 60 minutes, but I had a busy day in the office today, so 30 was all I could do.

Also......

I found this table, which has been awesome.

care.diabetesjournals.org Glycemic Load Values

Rather than extreme diets
Consider a Mediterranean Diet

It is high glycemic carbs that cause problems
Not complex carbohydrates

The longest lived populations are are startch based
Check out the Startch Solution by John McDougall M.D.

Or just study the longest lived populations
In the Blue Zones
See what they eat
A lot of the right carbs = longest life and the least health problems

Good for you to keep trying to find the right lifestyle for you

Just read another study that finds that walking = health and longevity
I try and walk for two plus hours a day and add in other exercises
The new study thatbany for of walking works
Strenuous or leisurely as long as you just walk or as they say, just do it

"Steps For Longer Life: The More You Walk, The Less Likely You’ll Die, Study Finds"

https://www.studyfinds.org/steps-fo...u-walk-the-less-likely-youll-die-study-finds/

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew!!! First good night I have had since I started this program. Except for a little hollowness, I felt good and I slept good.

Thankful that my body seems to be adjusting and leveling out.

#HateCarbFlu

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weights today....

Ok.... When you are in a calorie deficit situation (which is required to loose weight), it is hard as hell to really have a great lifting working. Pretty quickly I get weak and nauseous if I push myself too hard. I just don't have the energy to get through all the reps and sets with heavier loads that I have been doing the last month before the 'No Starch Diet'. But, I want to keep the dynamic that lifting creates within the muscles, where they are.... more aggressively burning fat throughout the day, and even night.

So, I am scaling back on my number of sets and down on load a little. This all I did today and it was OK.

Straight Bar Bench
12 Reps w/135lbs
10 Reps w/185lbs

Good Morning/Back Extensions
1 x 15 while holding a 25lb plate on my chest

Straight Bar Parallel Squats
6 Reps w/115lbs
6 Reps w/165lbs

Dumbbell Rows
15 Reps each Arm w/60lb Dumbbells

Overhead Press
10 Reps w/40lb Dumbbells

Thats all for today.....

Once I get to my target weight and body composition, I will start to take in more energy and can increase the lifting workouts. My end game is to NOT Body Build or Power Lift. But I really like the way I feel.... the way I carry myself.... and my capabilities when I am squatting and benching 225 lbs for my workouts. Just something very, mentally positive and inspiring with four of those 45's on a bar.

But for now.... and for the next 6 months or so.... I will just lift to keep the muscle fibers cranking away with a strong metabolism.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
But I really like the way I feel.... the way I carry myself.... and my capabilities when I am squatting and benching 225 lbs for my workouts. Just something very, mentally positive and inspiring with four of those 45's on a bar.

But for now.... and for the next 6 months or so.... I will just lift to keep the muscle fibers cranking away with a strong metabolism.

I couldn't agree more, feeling good, feeling strong, knowing what I can do makes all the difference mentally. Your mental well being, overall confidence, it just can't be had any other way. :thumb:

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wife and I got up early, fixed and drank our smoothie and then headed out on a quick-paced walk, up and down hills for 55 minutes. It was taxing but really good.

Still sticking with the diet and can tell I am thinning down.

As for the smoothie....

Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Mango
Heaping Scoop of Collagen Peptides Powder
Two heaping table spoons of unsweetened yogurt
Almond Milk

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
If you're feeling weak, sore and like you came down with the flu in about 30 seconds, only to recover in 15 minutes after eating some fruit, you are experiencing hyPOglycemia (blood sugar too low). Very common with those of us who take metformin for diabetes. A condition (not a disease) that everyone suffers from occasionally, but those with diabetes a bit more often. High blood sugar is hyPERglycemia.

I was diagnosed at age 58, no symptoms, felt fine. My lovely wife has insisted I get a physical and blood test once a year, and that's when they picked it up. Year before, I was fine, but after that year, TILT. Before you go too long with your no-carb diet, you need to be checked for it. Diabetes is no joke and will kill you. If you go after a month or so of no-carbs, your diet will skew your A1C values (measures blood sugar for the last 3 months and averages them). Get off of it for a week and go see your doc (I guess you can't). An alternative would be to go to a pharmacy and get a blood test meter and strips and test yourself in the mornings when you are fasted. Good luck.

WW

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe.

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My father was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia when he was in his late 40's. If he ever ate anything with sugar, he would get a massive headache and feel sick for a day or two. He found a love for Diet Dr. Pepper and always carried around some sharp cheese, that he would eat if he started to feel weak.

To the contrary, I have had a few times in my life where I struggled with high blood sugar.

If you're feeling weak, sore and like you came down with the flu in about 30 seconds, only to recover in 15 minutes after eating some fruit, you are experiencing hyPOglycemia (blood sugar too low). Very common with those of us who take metformin for diabetes. A condition (not a disease) that everyone suffers from occasionally, but those with diabetes a bit more often. High blood sugar is hyPERglycemia.

I was diagnosed at age 58, no symptoms, felt fine. My lovely wife has insisted I get a physical and blood test once a year, and that's when they picked it up. Year before, I was fine, but after that year, TILT. Before you go too long with your no-carb diet, you need to be checked for it. Diabetes is no joke and will kill you. If you go after a month or so of no-carbs, your diet will skew your A1C values (measures blood sugar for the last 3 months and averages them). Get off of it for a week and go see your doc (I guess you can't). An alternative would be to go to a pharmacy and get a blood test meter and strips and test yourself in the mornings when you are fasted. Good luck.

WW

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe.

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sunday found me being pretty lazy.... I did nurse a couple of pork rib slabs on the smoker all day. But I did find time for a trip to the weight room.

1 x 12: 135lbs Bench
1 x 8: 185lbs Bench
1 x 15: 10lbs Back Extension
1 x 6: 115lbs Squat
1 x 6: 165lbs Squat
1 x 12: 60lb Dumbbell Rows

I did step on the scales this morning and am 3.7lbs down from last Monday.

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yesterday (Tuesday) I did 30 minutes of Elliptical and then worked on the property. I am certain I burned a lot of fat, as I expended a lot of calories, yet I stayed on the diet. When I am going to have a very active day, I snack on fresh fruit. When I work at the desk, I try not to snack, but if I have too... It's nuts... maybe a pickle.

Today I lifted and it was good. I enjoyed the workout with plenty of energy.

1 x 12: 135lbs Bench
1 x 9: 185lbs Bench
2 x 15: 10lbs Back Extension
1 x 6: 115lbs Squat
1 x 6: 165lbs Squat
1 x 12: 60lb Dumbbell Rows
1 x 12: 30lb Dumbbell Overhead Press

After the workout and a couple of conference calls, I put on the work duds and continued the cleanup of my property, picking up broken/fallen limbs, etc... So that I can start to mow in 2-3 weeks as the grass starts to grow. Once again... burned a lot of calories, doing this for about 5 hours.

Then after 4pm, the wife came down from the office and said... "Let's go for a walk". It is a 35 minute round trip at a brisk pace to the mailbox and back.... which is what we did.

Breakfast: Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, Collagen Protein and Almond Milk Smoothie
Lunch: Baked Chicken Breast on a bead of Lettuce with Low Cal Dressing
Snack: One Slice of Turkey Lunch Meat and 8oz of Almond Milk
Dinner: Baked Salmon and Green Beans
Libation: One glass of white wine
Bedtime Snack: Peanuts

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in for lunch and have been working in the shop all morning. Whew.... hit the "no energy wall" right at 11am. All I had for breakfast was a small omelette.

For lunch the wife made us a big, fat wrap with one of those flour tortillas that only has 4 net grams of carb. We cut it in half and share it, so its just 35 calories and 2 net grams of carb for the tortilla. Chipotle Mayo, Smoked Turkey, Fresh Spinach, Tomatoes, Red Onion.... it was delicious.

I'll eat an apple about 2-2:30.

Today is our 60 minute walk.

I will enjoy a Bourbon on the rocks tonight, as I watch the NFL Draft.

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wife and I decided to shift a little more toward Keto.... Whew, energy issues. I have read that once the body adjusts, energy will be less of an issue.

We did our breakfast smoothie, but limited the fruit to strawberry only and only 5 of them. Our previous smoothies had probably 3x more fruit and 5x more carbs, cause we used Mango, which is higher in sugars.

The Weight workout was a challenge, because of a lack of energy. But I was able to complete what I did last time. Then the wife and I did a brisk, 30 minute walk.

Then I went to work on the property, raking and gathering up pine needles and broken branches from the winter. 90 minutes into that work I hit the wall. I came in to help the wife prepare some lean chicken sausage and cabbage for lunch.

For dinner it was cream cheese and smoked brisket Jalapeño halves, wrapped in bacon and cooked over some Mesquite. I ate four of them along with a tossed salad.

There's nothing easy about weight loss boys.... At least with body and lifestyle I have. But I am confident I am doing the right things.

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hummm......

Left-over Jalapeno, Bacon, Smoked Brisket Poppers off the grill......

Slice and dice one of those, throw in a skillet with a little butter and scramble with an egg or two and it is absolutely delicious!

Stepped on the scales this morning and I am down 8 lbs in two weeks.

2-A-Days..... That's what the wife and I are doing when the weather is nice and we have the time. We are either lifting or doing 30 minutes of cardio in the exercise room in the early morning and then we are going on a walk in the evenings. Evening walks beat the hell out of sitting in front of the TV listening to more crap about COVID!

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,338 Posts
In a joking sort of way, I am in my 50's and I am shooting to get the body back, that I had in my 30's. ........
Somehow I read that as you are in your 50's and want to date a 30 year old.....

I guess my mind was elsewhere. Or maybe that's what you are trying to accomplish...

·
That'll be the day...
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somehow I read that as you are in your 50's and want to date a 30 year old.....

I guess my mind was elsewhere. Or maybe that's what you are trying to accomplish...

HA! No, I am fitfully in love with my High School Sweetheart, who is 51 years old. I am a very blessed man, as she truly looks in her late 30's and has an athletic body. She's given me four awesome kids.... who in turn, have given me eight grandkids.

1 - 20 of 403 Posts