AK - whimp guhrl
AR - sissy bouy

700 gr cast lead - 48.0 gr AA 5744 - 1529 fps

nuff said

please adjust your sarcasm detector to ON

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Well in a way it's not too far fetched. It will down all game on the continent, can be loaded with simple cast bullets and black powder( try that with most modern rifles!). Accurate at long range. Worked for lots of plainsmen just avoid any pitched battles with modern armed adversaries but for game gathering it'll work.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,381 Posts
It makes some sense to have at least one cast bullet cartridge rifle that can be loaded with black powder if necessary. I do not consider mine to be primary rifles as I greatly prefer to reload with smokeless. But I have several that I currently load with cast bullets.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
It makes some sense to have at least one cast bullet cartridge rifle that can be loaded with black powder if necessary.
What he said ... at least one you can cast using a Lee 2 cavity mold, and reload using a Lee Classic kit. Or a large bore rifled flinter with cast minis. :thumb:

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
That's why I have one in .458 Win Mag, I how ever prefer the expanding hollow point for my big girl.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i thought about getting a high wall or a sharps in 45-120 but the price for ammo is ridiculus but it would be awsome to have something no one else does

Reactions: larryp

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
At 35 miles per hour a 1972 VW Super Beetle doesn't hit that hard. Wow.

Seriously though. Cabela's has a sale on some BP rifles in 50 cal. I'm thinking about "Pulling the trigger" on one.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
what would be really really awsome would be to get a 2 bore rifle like the ones they used for safaris

The historical two bore fired spherical balls or slugs of hardened lead or, in the modern metallic cartridge, additionally a solid bronze projectile. The gauge is 1.32 inches (34 mm), and the projectiles generally weigh 8 ounces (225 grams; 3500 grains). The velocity is relatively low, at around 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) at the muzzle, but hits with approximately 17,500 ft·lbf (23,700 J) of energy.

The largest size ever created for a shoulder rifle, and used mainly in the 19th century for hunting large and potentially dangerous game animals, this caliber was used by the European hunters, notably the British, in tropical climates of Africa and India. Meant to be used with black powder due to its size, it was unpopular due to the problem of thick smoke and a powerful recoil. The rifle was meant to be fired from the shoulder by one person; larger guns existed, such as the punt gun, but these were only fired supported and generally from a prone position. Sir Samuel White Baker, a notable British explorer and hunter of the Victorian era, was impressed by its power, but he heavily disapproved of the recoil. He narrates dashing adventures with his two-bore rifle, which he affectionately referred to as "Baby":

Among other weapons, I had an extraordinary rifle that carried a half-pound percussion shell; this instrument of torture to the hunter was not sufficiently heavy for the weight of the projectile: it only weighted twenty pounds, thus with a charge of ten drachms [270 grains] of powder and a HALF-POUND shell, the recoil was so terrific, that I spun around like a weathercock in a hurricane. I really dreaded my own rifle, although I have been accustomed to heavy charges of powder and severe recoils for some years. None of my men could fire it, and it was looked upon as a species of awe, and it was name "Jenna-El-Mootfah" (Child of a Cannon) by the Arabs, which being a far too long of a name for practice, I christened it the "Baby", and the scream of this "Baby" loaded with a half-pound shell was always fatal. It was too severe, and I seldom fired it, but it is a curious fact that I never shot a fire with that rifle without bagging. The entire practice, during several years, was confined to about twenty shots. I was afraid to use it, but now and then as it was absolutely necessary, it was cleaned after months of staying loaded. On such occasions my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter) and the "Baby" flying some yards behind them. This rifle was made by Holland & Holland, of Bond Street, and I could highly recommend it for the Goliath of Gath, but not for the men of A.D. 1866.[1]

Reactions: davis

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,381 Posts
i thought about getting a high wall or a sharps in 45-120 but the price for ammo is ridiculus but it would be awsome to have something no one else does
Since I had a 375 grain cast bullet mold in .458 dia, I rebarreled a Brno CZ-24 in 458 win. That rifle cost about $150 for the receiver and $89 for the extra barrel.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Would you rather be holding a Sharps in a SHTF situation or a knife? Any gun is better than no gun. If your proficient with it. That is all that matters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts