Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone consider the 5 most important items to keep in a bug out bag? As I look through my bug out bag I roughly have 30 or so different items but if I had to pick 5 I could not do without here they are.

Here's my 5 most important BOB items list.
1 - Water
2 - Food
3 - Firearms
4 - Ammunition
5 - Knife

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
The five items... Hmm How about DAILY carry on your person? 1. Good pocket knife 2. Good BIC Lighter 3. Little LED light. I like Fenix AAA. And a BOB within close proximity with 3+ days food, extra clothes, boots, poncho, water. And if you are in a state that permits, a pistol. If not, pepperspray or some defensive tool. 4D maglight is better than nothing.

·
Happy to be here!
4,935 Posts
1) Firesteel
2) Fixed blade knife
3)canteen with metal cup (one right?)
4) Some form of shelter (tent, tarp, covered hammock, ect)
3) 50 feet of 550 cord

·
RKBA SNBI
187 Posts
What to put in your BOB...or your GHB

What can kill you immediately or within hours?
  • Violence
  • Exposure - cold, heat, sun
  • Panic
So put weapon(s) and clothing/shelter in your BOB. And keep your head on straight.

What can kill you in a few days?
  • Dehydration
  • Certain levels of radiation
Bring water, KI pills, breathing masks

What can kill you in a few weeks?
  • Starvation
  • Lots of other stuff
That's a topic for BOL, not BOB

You should also have energy food in your BOB, even though you're not going to starve, you will need it for the energy to travel and or fight.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,134 Posts
1 Water
2 Water filter
3 Source of fire
4 Weather appropriate clothing
5 Multitool/knife

If water and filter count as one item, move everything up and put water and filter again at number 5. It's that important!

I didn't put food in my list, because with most BOBs being aimed at 3 days or so, a person could easily go without food. I feel weather gear is more important. You might start out on a decent day then get rain. Without rain gear hypothermia can set in quickly. In winter, cold weather gear goes in my bag.

It was hard to choose number 5. I thought about putting down salt. Living in the hot desert, I know just how much sweat a person can put out when carrying a load and covering long distances on foot.

I was tempted to put "bug out practice runs" as number 1 or 2. Because without practice runs, the BOB is nothing but a bag of false hope. Some months back we had a thread from a guy making his first practice bug out. He was stopped short by blisters, and encountered fierce insect bites. Important lessons were learned and his second attempt went much better. Imagine if he hadn't made that first practice trip and had to grab the bag and head out for real. Being stalled by blisters could have gotten him killed. People NEED to put serious miles on with their BOB, using the same shoes they would be wearing in a bug out. To make sure blisters don't stall you, and to make sure you can carry the weight the entire way. Also, by living out of the bag, you learn what you really need and don't need. If you don't need it, take it out! Every ounce counts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
interesting answers. Personally:

1. 550 chord
2. tarp
3. .22 pistol
4. ammo
5. canteen/cup

Normally I would have the water filter in there, but I'm limited to 5 and you can boil water. I also carry lighters, matches, and a magnifying glass, but you can always rub some sticks together with a shoe lace (sucks, but works).

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
1. Water kit (stainless steel water bottle, stainless steel cup, water purifier, case)

2. Fire kit (butane lighter, fire steel w/striker, wetfire tinder, Blast Match, fatwood, magnesium powder)

3. Shelter kit (GI poncho w/Ranger Rick liner)

4. Food kit (jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars)

5. Sharps kit (Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife & Leatherman Surge multitool)

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. Water kit (stainless steel water bottle, stainless steel cup, water purifier, case)

2. Fire kit (butane lighter, fire steel w/striker, wetfire tinder, Blast Match, fatwood, magnesium powder)

3. Shelter kit (GI poncho w/Ranger Rick liner)

4. Food kit (jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars)

5. Sharps kit (Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife & Leatherman Surge multitool)
CHEATER. hell if I wanted to break my bug out bag into 5 categories I'm sure I could come up with some creative "categories" as well..... I do believe one of the things I carry in my pocket is a fridge with refried beans, an assortment of frozen foods and, oh yeah, the steak from last night, some asparagus, green peas.... dude, really? 5 ITEMS!!! NOT 5 KITS.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
1. Hultafors Hunter's Axe by Hults Bruk.
2. Swedish firesteel.

If both clothing and boots are taken for granted:

3. Reindeer jerky.
4. Tobacco.
5. Good book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.