Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with all the plastic Gas Jerry cans I am seeing. Does the gasoline eat through the plastic after so long? Anyone with experiance with these. I will probably just grab the metal ones but what do you all see as the pros and cons of both?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't think the gas will eat the plastic, but I got tired of them either expanding and leaking, or blowing off the cap or nozzle and I bought some metal ones.

We have some of the hottest weather we've seen in a long time here, and the metal cans are doing fine in my hot garage.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
NATO and all the services has standardized on the plastic ones as they are safer, but they COST, as in MAJOR bucks, around $80 or so.

The plastic is stronger, safer and less likely to leak than metal.

They actually called GERRY cans as named after the GERmans (Gerry's) who developed them.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
I don't like the plastic cans. I buy military surplus metal ones.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Most of the cans you see from places like Walmart are made with plastic that is not UV resistant. After sun exposure you are going to see color loss and some areas can become brittle. the metal cans tend to be very expensive but last a long time. I have some Swiss cans with WW 2 dates on them. Only thing is the seals around the opening may have become dried out. I really like the new safety cans (Metal).

·
Banned
118 Posts
I keep gas in two or three 5 gallon plastic cans year around. I've not had a problem with them ever, had them or 4-5 years no problem. Luckly I still had the old spouts for them. The new can's don't have a vent hole on them so i just poke a hole in them (I plug it with a roofing nail when I fill them) on the top opposite the spout. When setting in the garage I remove the nail and it keeps them from expanding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts