Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was a misprint.....

The 'light my fire' version next to it on the shelf was the 'scout' model for $14. This version was longer and a larger diameter for $5!

A quick test at home against my well used 'army' model from 'light my fire' makes it look like a DANG good deal!

I picked up two......

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Ok, I can see that some of the fire steels on eBay are actually a rod inside a rod.
Idk what the outer rod is, but I'm guessing it's a cheaper material so that they can reduce the price. The difference is so great that I might get a few of the cheap knock offs to lay around in case I 'lose' my nice one! ;)

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I went to your link. It's a great deal, but can you tell me if they work the same as the 'Light My Fire' ones?
I'm guessing it's all the same, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used the eBay ones.
Thanks
Well, no, I can't say if they work the same as the 'Light My Fire' ferrocerium rods, as I've never used the 'Light My Fire' rods.

Put it this way tho'...I don't have problems lighting fires with the rods I buy on eBay. My primary source for lighting fire tho', is the good old Bic cigarette lighter.

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...672197&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2052wt_929

Thanks again SamboRoberts! I just ordered these (3) from eBay. When they come in, I'll let you know how they stack up against my Army Swedish Fire Steel that I paid $ 13 for!
For the price, I thought to get extras just to kick around with.
Likewise, just grabbed two myself. oO great find. seller is highly rated, pays the shipping, the two cost me $4.98 total. Was just looking at one to go with the flint and steel pack I have, it was over ten bucks at the Dik's sporting goods. should see it next week sometime.

Thank you =D

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Fire Steels just came in! They're a little smaller in diameter, but actually longer than my Swedish Army FireSteel (lightmyfire). They spark great!
For the huge price difference, I don't see it.
They cheap one wins in this case!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts