Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I dont shop on black friday or for this whole weekend. Just out of pure spite.

Also i have bought them for $8 a case before.

·
Registered
34,378 Posts
Is the sale only today?

I don't do black fridays but I sure could use some of those jars!
I happen to be in town.

I saw this thread, looked online (hoping I could order it) and it was listed (with a countdown to midnight) as "out of stock, in store only"

I went there, (long after the crouds were gone) and they had a island/pallet of them.
(Which I bought much of.)

I just looked online, and do not see it listed online anymore.

Your wallmart may have some left. I think it's worth checking.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Thanks on the heads up, worth a look see. Need to pick up some gun cleaning stuff at a shop near a Walmart today.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I stopped at Walmart yesterday morning. I saw two pallets of the canning jars! It was hard to stop myself, but I already have plenty of jars I scored a while back on a great deal.

But $5 a case is a STEAL!

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't shop Black Friday either. I went to get groceries.

I should have noted the in-store option. There's no way they could offer that online. I really didn't need any more, but I grabbed 4 cases. Usually Walmart isn't picky about they're leftover deals. Many times I will see Black Friday deal islands still sitting days later. I highly doubt the typical Black Friday crowd was snatching Ball canning supplies. My guess is they bought up the years surplus from Ball.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
962 Posts
Picked up 2 cases today. Looks like they will be that price until sold out. Mine have the "Kerr" label, but if I am not mistaken they are the same jars....

·
Registered
34,378 Posts
40 Flats! You making shine and can I have some?
Not at this time. (In all fairness, 2 flats are for my mother... other 38/456 jars are mine.)

Shine is illegal, although next year (or this winter if I get bored) I'll be making wine. (My mother finally turned loose of my great grandfather's capper, and I've been collecting bottles.)

I've got... I'm pretty sure over 700 jars full (I'll count next week when I get home probably) probably a good 400 of those are pints. And with my last push before I left I ran out of jars, had to borrow a few flats, and even (grimaces) Bought 4 flats at retail prices.

I can find (and will continue to buy) quart jars new, but it's very rare to find pints used. So I bought what I think/hope will be all Ill ever need.

I'm not stopping (although except for a few more 1/2 gal jars i think I'm done buying new.) till I get ~ another 2k jars.
-as I've mentioned I have 3k tattler lids (I screwed up and only 500 are wide mouth.... and I only have about a dozen of those unused... which is where I get the 700 jars number. Might even be more.)
So I have the goal of having a jar for every lid. (Although most of them will sit unused in a shed.)

Didn't come by this number randomly. There's been the info posted that ~440 quarts = 1 years food, and at the time a family/kids were.... much more likely than they are now.

And since I like/have the goal of putting up 18 months worth of food every year.... (wife+ a couple kids.... 3k lids.)

I AM getting bees again, (3 hive nukes on order) and the honey will have to go somewhere. But since I plan on keeping rather than selling it it'll be stored in much larger containers.

I know it's a little extreme, but I HAVE been living this for 20 years.
(Watch out bunkerbuster.... I'm gaining!):D:;)

And it's not really that much money.
At $0.458/per it was $220

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Took me about 5 years of living in Missouri before I was offered some real homemade shine. Girl Friend's (friend who is a girl) mom makes it. Was given a jar or peach and watermelon. Good stuff!

·
Registered
34,378 Posts
Took me <1 year !:p

I just work very hard trying not to break the law.
(Although that's where my interest lies. Buddy is an award winning brewer. I've helped him brew beer, and like doing it, but don't like drinking it.)

Other friend made... I'll call it a fortified peach wine.
I'm not much of a drinker, but I sat there on the swing just sipping my jelly jar.... it was AMAZING!

I've some peaches and black berries in my freezer earmarked for it (I have (2) 5 gal setups.)
Just hasn't risen to the top of the list.

Made/making various fruit vinegars first.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
As of this morning (Sunday 11/26) our local Walmart (S Salem Oregon) still had about half a pallet left of Kerr pint regular mouth at the rollback price $5/flat.

Never had a chance to get out on an errand run yesterday, but had time this morning, so figured it was worth a look see. Bought a bunch, thanks for the heads up!

Talked with a stocker, and they never got in any of the Ball, but it really doesn’t matter as they serve the same purpose and lids are interchangeable.

Worth a look see at your local store, as well I’d imagine.

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
Registered
365 Posts
Go to Walmart online and find your local store. You can order and pay with a credit card or PayPal and save money by picking up your item in the store instead of shipping. You can have shipping done but there is a minimum order amount for free shipping. Be sure to click "pick up at store" when placing online order, if that's what you choose to do. I do this all the time, pick up at the back of the store in layaway when the items are ready and no waiting in long lines to purchase. Walmart will contact you by phone or email when your order is ready. You need to show an ID because they are already paid for. They hold the order for about a week if you can't get to it right away. I just bought four dozen pint jars at $5.00 a dozen. Takes a little longer to accomplish the online shopping right now but it will go through or do it later when the system is not so busy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts