1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
5.11 gear has always been good so i'd guess it'd apply to there backpacks. Imo, for my needs there a bit too pricy but if money isnt an object it'd be a good choice.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this backpack? I want to use it as my BOB...
I have been looking at the slightly larger three-day Rush 72 pack from the same series as an upgrade for my own BOB, so I'm also anxious to hear about anyone's first-hand experiences...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one and love it. I have a few videos on YouTube detailing it. I setting mine up as a GHB. I dont know if its big enough to be a full BOB but it may fit your needs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this backpack? I want to use it as my BOB. How important is it to have MOLLE straps available?

I got to 'play' with one at a local store and found it to be of high quality construction but lacking a waste strap and kidney pads. I know these are usually found in alice frame rucksacks. The amount of storage seems nice.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Accessories/Bags-Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10900:10905/I/58601
I don't know a lot about that bag save for some time handling one that my buddy has. It would be too small for me personally as a BOB because I have two small children to think about as well. I use a large ALICE pack.

Another to consider is the Voodoo stuff. It's excellent quality with a good price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=471435

·
Registered
826 Posts
Another to consider is the Voodoo stuff. It's excellent quality with a good price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=471435
Unfortunately, the Voodo Matrix is only around 1200ci, while the 5.11 Rush 24 holds over 1800ci in the main compartment and nearly 2000ci all together. Personally, I am looking to get more capacity. I don't want to add much more weight to my BOBs (30-33 pounds for at least a week camping and traveling on foot), but I would like them to be roomier, with stuff currently in MOLLE pouches on the outside of my pack transferred to the inside, more room to get at the contents without unpacking anything, and space to carry something I gather along the way...

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
ok- I personally go back and forth between high-tech, cutting edge backpacking gear and good old tactical gear concepts. I LOVE 5.11 Tactical series and I own a lot of the gear as well as the clothing. HOWEVER, when I considered the backpack scenario, I opted for a very light-weight Granite Gear internal frame pack. I wear a duty belt. I throw my molle system pouches into the backpack as I wear the belt. WHY? I move with the rucksack to set up base camp. From basecamp I empoy the belt with molle pouches for dayhikes. This gives me a vast amount of options/efficiencies. Often the tactical/military stuff is just a little behind the 8-ball on weight, innovative design, as well as use of hardiest and lightweight materials.

REMEMBER: with a BOB scenario, weight is going to wear you down fast!!!! Pounds count!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts