Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
True Spec. There my favorite pants. They really remind me of carharts. The weave is so tight it stops wind. I have a brown pair and a green pair. I bought my dad a pair for his Birthday and he says there now his favorite pants. I have one pair of 5.11 in tan and they stained right up and I dont wear them anymore. Also I really think the true specs are better built. JMHO:thumb:

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
I've never used True Spec but have a boat load of 5.11. It holds up very good over the years. I have vest that was round robin which was before they changed to 5.11 and it looks like the day I took it our of the bag. The OD green pants seem to loose color abit with washing, but I have not had any problems other wise. They have been through the ocean a few times, been trough 130 degree temps, even the swamps a couple of times.

I'd give them a 9.5 out of ten. Either way, both True Spec and 5.11 are great products and I dont feel you can go wrong with either. IMHO

·
Registered
826 Posts
It depends...

It all depends on the fabric content and weave. Both 5.11 Tactical and Tru-Spec generally make quality garments, with the fit and finish on the 5.11 stuff perhaps a little nicer, albeit at a somewhat higher MSRP.

I have Tru-Spec BDUs in both (65-35) poly-cotton and mil-spec (50-50) nylon-cotton (genuine Crye Multicam fabric). They all get a good hard workout season after season playing vigorous woods paintball, as well as pulling utility duty on weekends around my property.

Poly-cotton is usually sturdier and more stain-resistant than ny-co, even when untreated. Rip-stop weaves tend to handle abrasion and holes better than twill weaves.

I recently took four days of tactical rifle training, and wore different BDUs every day. I managed to tear a small hole in one knee of my SKD ny-co twill BDU trousers during one particularly rigorous exercise. Conversely, even after grinding my knees on rocks and rough ground for the first two days, my 5.11 Tactical TDU pants, which were poly-cotton rip-stop, wore like iron and showed no abrasion or stains (even on light khaki fabric). The TDUs are constructed Teflon-impregnated fabric, which really helps them to stay clean.

On the flip side, I have some 5.11 tactical pants that are 98% cotton and 2% Spandex for stretch; they fit great and are pretty tough for all-cotton canvas, but they are heavier, dry really slowly, and stain easily in the lighter colors. The all-nylon (no-stretch) version I have of the same pants is tough, dries quickly, and breathes pretty well, but it was more expensive.

Both 5.11 and Tru-Spec make good stuff, and I wouldn't necessarily give up the comfort, ease of movement, and breathability of ny-co just for some added durability, but poly-cotton rip-stop is definitely more abrasion- and tear-resistant, and the stainproofing is a nice feature if that matters to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not sure about the True-Spec, but I have a pair of the 5.11 and Blackhawk Tactical pants. Hands down the Blackhawks are the best. They are extremely durable, comfrotable, and in my opinion worth the $40. I will be purchasing more in the future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a pair of 5.11 pants (the Desert Digitals that LA POlice Gear was clearancing) and a pair of the 5.11 OD shorts from the NRA store. Like another poster indicated, the green color fades fast. However the material is rugged and holds up well. I don't believe that the digi-cam pair faded at all.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I am not sure about the True-Spec, but I have a pair of the 5.11 and Blackhawk Tactical pants. Hands down the Blackhawks are the best. They are extremely durable, comfrotable, and in my opinion worth the $40. I will be purchasing more in the future.
Reply]
I have a bunch of Kaki 100% cotton ripstops I bought over 10 years ago. They are STILL the toughest pants i ever owned, and only in the last year started to wear and rip...after nothing but abuse hiking and camping and being used as my out door training pants when i do several hours of Kung fu prior to my hikes.

I paid $16.00 each for them back in 1997 or so. Today they are $23.95 at BQM

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/ta...C4.ctx=BDU/Uniforms&backto=/store/level3c.tam

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,679 Posts
Proctor BDU's American made. 511's are made in a communist country.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
5.11's.
My tru-specs are fine if I want to wear a a pair of comfy, faded out BDU's...but if I want to look sharp and wear a heavy duty pair of BDU pants, it's 5.11. I have navy and black, and neither have faded or taken on the worn out look of my tru-specs. I also like the expandable Thanksgiving Waist...AND the knee pad pockets AND included knee pads (I was the envy of my EMT class when we were doing trauma packaging drills and we were on our knees all night).

·
Registered
589 Posts
For daily wear I actually prefer Dickies, Carhartt, and Wrangler Riggs work clothing. I don't stick out amongst the crowd or look like the Tactical Ted model from the front cover of the lastest good guy gun gear magazine. In public I can always spot this clothing being worn by others, which tells me this person is either a cop or armed civilian. If I can spot this, then others who are "in the know" can spot this as well. Since I carry a concealed handgun daily I prefer to have the grey man approach and look like your average blue color working stiff.

·
I Engineer
52 Posts
Both work

I have had a few pairs of 5.11 and the tac lite or not very good for me. I hate the pocket layout. I did find the jean cut pants are pretty good and I love the stryke pants but they are expensive. I got the tru spec recently for less than half of the stryke and I find the pocket layout better so far. They might not be as well fitted as the stryke but for $30 I'm hard pressed to complain vs the $75 for stryke.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Be The Gray Man, Carhart, Duluth Trading Co.

Tru-Spec and 5.11 scream mall ninja cop wannabe prepper.

You may as well wear a sign that says I HAVE STUFF, FLASH MOB ME!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I ave a True Spec Cap, which is OK, and a True Spec Softshell jacket that is much less than desirable. I also have a 5.11 fleece hoodie, and their nylon web belt, as well as a pack from them. I would go with 5.11 over truespec, as the quality seems to be less hit or miss w/ 5.11.

·
Registered
144 Posts
From someone that travels the world, from Pakistan to Paraguay. I hide in plain sight in 5.11s. The Stryke pants are the best all around for office field and travel.

·
Officer Friendly
1,157 Posts
I have a couple pair of each. I wear the 5.11 daily at work and they have held up great.

No real complaints about the truspec, but you can feel the superior quality of the 5.11

I also have two 5.11 web belts that are great for CC and a Rush 72 pack that is the nicest ruck I've ever owned

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Went to exclusively wearing 5.11 Stryke pants 10 years ago. Work great for business casual, weekends, gardening, etc. Black colors fade a little after 5 or 6 years, but still look nice. The stock # I wear is 74369 (I think they are called TACPANTS). I like these because the cargo pockets are a little bit higher, and thus easier to reach, than the other pants I have from 5.11. My oldest pair is still soldering on just fine.

I like them far better than jeans, and I love jeans.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I have both. The 5.11 are good quality and last a while. I like the cargo pocket in the TrueSpec better, and quality wise they are close to the same.
The TrueSpec cargo pockets have two inner pockets (that conveniently carry a pistol and extra magazines). I wear the TrueSpec for work daily, and have the in Blue and Khaki. When they are new, they keep stains off of the fabric much better than the 5.11. Both of them seem to fade some with darker colors, the 5.11 hold the color longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts