Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first post.

I personally went through ~50 pages and searched to no avail. The price on this weapon seems fair, but I am worried about what exactly to look for. Via google and this board, I know the front sight and gas chamber are hot spots; Are there any other points of interest to know about before dropping my dime?

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts

I personally went through ~50 pages and searched to no avail. The price on this weapon seems fair, but I am worried about what exactly to look for. Via google and this board, I know the front sight and gas chamber are hot spots; Are there any other points of interest to know about before dropping my dime?
There is no WASR on the face of God's green earth that I would pay more than $250 for, personally. There's a thread a gentleman started on this forum recently that states Saigas are selling for $300 but I have not checked it out yet. Older Russian SKS's at gunshows are going for $350-$400.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
you can do better for your money now that prices are on the decline again

try classicarms.us, jgsales.com, centerfiresystems.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
if it helps for comparison, my favorite gun shop/range had 'em for $549 last weekend (as for regional differences, i'm in MN). they used to retail for $400 for a long time. haven't seen 'em return to that price yet, but they have come down a lil' since last year.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts

They are about $490.00 in my area of S.D.....Soon as you look at the weapon you will notice the front sight if it is off and most of them are..That is a fairly easy fix..Here is another site that can help you www.AR15.com once there look in upper left corner and click on AK47.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone; sadly they have the best price around by a long shot. (One store was asking ~$950!) Looks like I will just have to wait it out for the next gun show. Am I correct in thinking that outside of a misaligned gas chamber, everything else can be fixed one way or another?

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone; sadly they have the best price around by a long shot. (One store was asking ~$950!) Looks like I will just have to wait it out for the next gun show. Am I correct in thinking that outside of a misaligned gas chamber, everything else can be fixed one way or another?
I have a WASR10 and i shoot Brown Bear ammo thru it..I sighted it in and no problems after hundreds of rounds...I purchased another one and it was so inaccurate at 25 meters that i traded it in....For the most part they will be fine but a person has to realize they are put together here in the U.S. with parts so you can get a problem one...Then you would have to send it in for warranty ect.I am not that patient....Look it over real good but even then you can get a problem one...Good luck....

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Canted sights, mag wobble, trigger slap, gas block...if you know that, you're covered.
By all accounts, the trigger slap issue was resolved a while ago. Century did some sort of change-up with the TAPCO fire control group components. Mag wobble is annoying, but it does not affect accuracy or reliability. The gas block and sights are the main issues. The entire assembly process can produce less-than-desirable accuracy as well.

CenterfireSystems.com is running 7.62x39mm Saiga rifles for $300. They're great quality rifles that are built at the Izmash plant in Russia. You'll have to convert them in order to bring them back to their AK glory, but its well worth it. A true Russian AK-47 is not even close to being in the same league as a Romanian.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A Century built WASR-10 is not worth more than $300.00 IMO.
It's equivalent to the "wal-mart" brand of something. If you're just looking for a cheap ak, go for a Norinco. They're not the best, but much better than the WASR-10.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
A Century built WASR-10 is not worth more than $300.00 IMO.
It's equivalent to the "wal-mart" brand of something. If you're just looking for a cheap ak, go for a Norinco. They're not the best, but much better than the WASR-10.
The problem with finding AK's like Norinco's or Maadi's is that they're scarce. It's easy to say to go look for one, but do you know any retailer who sells them? WASR's are about the only affordable, plentiful AK-47 type rifle on the market. The Saiga's are there, but the conversion looks tough.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
You are going to find the WASR'S are like redheaded stepchildren on this board. Some folks love them, other hate them. I had one and loved it. All parts were straight, shoot good groups right outta the box.
AS far as price. That is still the going price around my area too {Ga} BUT, if you have a chance..look at Saiga AK's. You should be able to find one around the same price and you will be getting a Russian built AK. If you can find a dealer and use his FFL to have one shipped, you can find them online around $300 give or take. Then do the conversion.
The conversion would be around 150ish, if you can't do it all at once due to the money then do a piece at a time. Good luck and if this is your 1st AK..welcome to the darkside :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
Anyone know if I.O. Inc makes a good AK47?? I'm thinking of getting 1 off gunbroker,

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I think it was century arms that had WASR-10 for less then $400, but your going to have to have it shipped to an FFL.

My personal opinion, $350 - $400 should be about the maximum price for any AK47.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
I think it was century arms that had WASR-10 for less then $400, but your going to have to have it shipped to an FFL.

My personal opinion, $350 - $400 should be about the maximum price for any AK47.
I agree, even most high end AK-47's are not as refined or ergonomic as an AR-15. It eventually boils down to the design, regardless of the quality. AK's are meant to be reliable, low-cost rifles.

I'm considering a Saiga conversion, but I'm worried about screwing something up. I'll have to read the conversion guide a few times to make sure it's do-able.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Welcome aboard, TimeConsumer :thumb:
As stated above, the "trigger slap" issues have long been resolved since they started building them with the Tapco G2 single hook trigger group.
The other infamous issues have also been addressed, as the recent builds coming out seem to have tighter mag-wells and straighter gas tubes and front sights.
I've had a couple WASR's, and they were both great rifles. I have several "nice" Ak's, but I'd have no reservations about buying another recent-production WASR.
It's also cheap,easy,educational, and fun to do your own refinish job on the wood.
All that being said, I also agree with those recommending the Saiga. Very nice rifle at a great price. I'd recommend you get one of these even if you also get the WASR, while they are available and cheap again.
The price you're being quoted is way high,Classicarms sells them for $389, and that's with the whole party-pack : 2 mags,cleaning kit, oiler bottle, sling,bayonet,etc. Classicarms is a great operation that I've dealt with several times, with both the previous and present owners.
http://www.classicarms.us/

·
Registered
31 Posts
The problem with finding AK's like Norinco's or Maadi's is that they're scarce. It's easy to say to go look for one, but do you know any retailer who sells them? WASR's are about the only affordable, plentiful AK-47 type rifle on the market. The Saiga's are there, but the conversion looks tough.
They maybe scarce in Illinois, but in Georgia they are plentiful. I see at least a dozen every weekend at gun shows for the same price as the thread starter's AK. I guess it all depends on where you live. Gunbroker has plenty of AK's from WASR-10's to pre-ban polytech underfolders.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I just finished converting my .308 Saiga and it was much simpler than I expected. The x39's are cheaper than the x51's (.308) but the latter is more of a long range gun than the former.

Very accurate, too. With a Bushnell 6-18x50 scope and a bipod, my 13-yo sister blew up a coffee can at 350 yards (first time she's ever shot). Diznag (or is it Dinzag?) Arms sells a drop-in trigger group for the S.308 that makes the whole endeaver extremely simple.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts