Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
.45 LC and .410 shotgun both run about the same pressures (about 12000 to 14000 psi), so with those two theres no real problem. There are a number of guns on the market that can shoot both (Taurus Judge most famous, but TC and NEF sell longer singleshot versions)

If you tried a .44 mag in most .410 chambers, it'd blow up. .44 Mag runs 36000 to 40000 psi. Don't do it.

I've heard of people shooting .410 in .444 Marlin chambers.
.410 wont go into .44Mag chambers, as its much too long.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of chopping down a 410 barrel 5 or 6 inches to accept 45 LC rounds or 44 mag rounds? If so please give details.
I would assume your .410 is a smoothbore... Cutting the barrel to less than 18" gets you in trouble with the BATFE in that you now have a sawed off shotgun regardless of what you're shooting out of it. If the .410 was a rifled barrel, then chopping the barrel to less than 16" gets you in trouble with the BATFE in that you now have a "short barrel rifle", not a pistol.

If you truly wish to pursue this project legally, you might want to contact the BATFE and see about getting the proper permits/licensing etc., otherwise you might not want to discuss it in such a public forum...

Allan

·
Registered
68 Posts
i bought a h&r 410/45 the stock might not be the greatest but it has lots of storage in it they don't come from the factory with scope mounts but mine was drilled and taped for one when i bought it used i put a red dot on it sighted it for 50 yards with the 45 ammo the red dot makes it nice as i can use it for running game with shot shells good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
I own a Handi-rifle chambered for the .410/45colt and Thompson Contender G-2 pistol frame with a .45colt/.410 barrel.The handi-rifle was fitted with a 1" Millet Reddot scope,it has made a excellent little backpacking combo gun,with assorted shotshells from bird shot to slugs and buckshot it has proven to be very valuable.When powerhouse loads are needed the .45 colt brings the rifle up to medium to large game capability, with potent handloads with Hornady 250 grain XTPs on top of heavy doses of H-110 and a magnum large pistol primer,this round anchors game with authority.
Now the G-2 Contender fitted with it's .45/.410 barrel it accompanies me on many hikes and hunts.Using iron sights and heavy handloads in the old 45colt case to me there is no better handgun hunting cartridge,it has taken coyotes,whitetail deer and blackbear.In shotgun mode it has taken many dove and grouse on the fly,also the buckshot and slug rounds have proven theirself very efficient.

·
Custom User Title too sho
400 Posts
I looked into this question and finally decided on a 12 gauge. I did gather a lot of info though. Aside from the question of whether the gun can handle to load, here is some data:

It is properly known as a .410 "bore" not "gauge". If it were given a gauge designation, it would be about 68.

The diameter of the shell / casing is .45". The diameter of a .410 slug is .410". This is why you can in some guns chamber either a .45 LC or a .410 bore cartridge / shell. The thickness of the shell walls accounts for the difference. This has caused some confusion and a flame war or two on other forums, so I thought I would share.

A 2.5" .410 bore shell can hold three 00 buckshot pellets. Ditto for 000 buckshot. That's a mighty thin load of buck.

A .410 bore slug has about as much power as a hot .357 Magnum load out to about 20 yards. Beyond that, power drops like a rock as does the slug.

The .410 can take small game @ < 30 yards. But your shot has to be much more accurate than with a 12 gauge because you have far fewer pellets.

The .410 bore can take deer using a slug, but you have to be very close and a good shot. You should always try to take game of any size with minimal suffering to the animal. Double the penalty if your animal is wounded but dies slowly w/o you ever finding it.

In summary, anything you use a .410 on has to be within 30 yards and you must be very good shot.

Oh, one more note about the H&R Survivor in .45 / .410 bore: it has only a bead front sight and no rear sights. So even though you can fire a .45 LC round through it, it would be difficult to really aim it at anything unless you installed rifle sights.

And another last thing: the T/C Contender in .45 LC / .410 is illegal in California. It's classified as a shotgun w/ too short a bbl.

·
Custom User Title too sho
400 Posts
OK I'll bite who is Randy Weaver
Ever heard of Ruby Ridge. Do a web search for Randy Weaver or Ruby Ridge. Or I'm sure there are a few books on the subject in bookstores or libraries.

I am far, far from an expert, so don't bash me if I get the facts wrong.

Weaver was a survivalist living with his family out in the sticks called Ruby Ridge in Idaho. He had some contact with neo-Nazi groups and probably broke a few gun laws. Long story short, the FBI and ATF raided his home, there was some gunfire where his son was killed.

Later, a sniper shot his wife in the face and a friend and I think Weaver himself were hit. He eventually gave up.

The jury found that he had been entrapped into doing some illegal shotgun chopping or some damn thing. And it was clear the feds really, really screwed up the whole operation.

This happened in I thing 1992.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Ever heard of Ruby Ridge. Do a web search for Randy Weaver or Ruby Ridge. Or I'm sure there are a few books on the subject in bookstores or libraries.

I am far, far from an expert, so don't bash me if I get the facts wrong.

Weaver was a survivalist living with his family out in the sticks called Ruby Ridge in Idaho. He had some contact with neo-Nazi groups and probably broke a few gun laws. Long story short, the FBI and ATF raided his home, there was some gunfire where his son was killed.

Later, a sniper shot his wife in the face and a friend and I think Weaver himself were hit. He eventually gave up.

The jury found that he had been entrapped into doing some illegal shotgun chopping or some damn thing. And it was clear the feds really, really screwed up the whole operation.

This happened in I thing 1992.
And came back into the light (lime that is) when H - S Precision Stocks had that same sniper endorse their catalogue and products with a full page on the inside cover...They lost a lot of business because of that...

In the firearm's industry doing something stupid like that is called "Doing a Zumbo" after the flack Jim Zumbo got after saying that the M16/AR15 is not a hunting gun FOR HIM...

·
Vietnam Vet
116 Posts
My wife has a Tarus Judge for HD. She loves it. Keeps it loaded with .410 (#4 shot) for the first 2 rounds, then alternates .45 Colt Personal Defence rounds with .410 shotgun shells. Rather than gitting into a hassle with the Feds over making illegal modifications to an existing shotgun, just get a gun that is manufactured and legal. The 3in barrel on my Wife's Judge when shooting shotgun shells, patterns 5in at 15 feet - about the distance a Perp would be in a home invasion. Also, the Judge comes with a 2.5 in cyllinder or a 3 in cyllinder. Personally I do not see any need for 3in for HD. The 2.5 in makes a big hole in 1/2 in plyboard - and if ever needed would do even more in a Perps body - it has serious shock value (meaning soft tissue shock - tests that I have seen indicate around 4.5 in penetration (with 2.5 in shells) but the subsequent shock beyond that penetration is devastating to any nearby soft-tissue organs).

·
Registered
4 Posts
i bought a h&r 410/45 the stock might not be the greatest but it has lots of storage in it they don't come from the factory with scope mounts but mine was drilled and taped for one when i bought it used i put a red dot on it sighted it for 50 yards with the 45 ammo the red dot makes it nice as i can use it for running game with shot shells good luck
Hey Hunter1 what ammo did you find to work the best in that 410/45?
Can you shoot 45colt +p safely? I have the same gun but only used 45 cowboy loads with less than desired results, Remington410 sluggers fly well up to 20 yards, looking for a 40 yd ammo for Whitetail for Daughter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of chopping down a 410 barrel 5 or 6 inches to accept 45 LC rounds or 44 mag rounds? If so please give details.
Not Legal but in the 80s I new a Guy who convert a Old H&R 410 to a pistal with a adjustable choke. Very nice gun with 10 or so inch barrel he would only use 45 cowboy loads out of it because of chamber pressure and had to make sure to open up choke. I would measure the inside of barrel throat before shooting 45 cowboy loads, make sure its .454 . Does not shoot very well with smooth barrel. The only reason he did it, is that his dog chewed off the stock. He passed a few years back and never saw the gun again. Agent Orange got him in throat with cancer, bummer really cool guy and a Vet of course. Do all this at your own risk of legal or personal injury to you or people around. Not really worth doing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts