Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Henry is the quality choice. Though the Marlins are better still not up for preremington quality. If you can live with no loading gate the Henry is the better choice. Though most people (me included) can't. For me it's because I can't afford more than 1 or 2 rifles at once so I need it to do a lot of other jobs and limiting it with no loading gate is a no go. It isn't hard to find a gunsmith to work it over. Ranger point precision has some good pqckages I really like their lever on all weather hunting package. I WILL be getting that done eventually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
45/70 will work on anything in the lower 48, maybe even Alaska. I picked up a Marlin Dark Series 45/70. It’s 16.25” barrel makes it a really handy rifle.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Marlins are lighter than Henry's for all day carry if you are stalk hunting. Hope someone buys Marlin and keeps making them since Remington has filed bankrupcy and sold their ammo manufacturing to Palmetto State in S. Carolina. It would be nice if someone like Ruger or Smith and Wesson bought the Marlin brand. Ruger pistols and Marlins would go together with the same calibers for those who like western rifles and pistols. Colt would also be a good one, but Colt may not have the money that Ruger does.

I too prefer the Marlin loading gate. I like that Henry is not introducing loading both ways. Loading a single round or two in a pinch with a loading gate is quicker. Loading with the tube is easier beginning a hunt, but not in the field. I have an old Marlin 1894 44 mag. Quick, light, and can kill a deer under 150 yards. I have a friend who shot a 9 pointer and 192 yards measured. He aimed about a foot high. Bullet dropped right where he wanted it.

I had a 45/70 but sold it due to high cost to reload. Took a lot of powder and bullets were more expensive. I live in the deep south where it really isn't needed. I have a 35 Whelen and a 30-06 and a .308 for hunting out west if I ever get to go. I make the Whelen ammo out of 30-06 brass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just picked up a Marlin 1894 Trapper and am in total love with it. Simple sights and stainless build. I intend on fitting it with a midwest industries forend, weapon light and a sling. I believe that the 45-70 will be a great urban fighting rifle for minimal opposition. Hard hitting round, and good for urban areas that an ar15 will draw unwanted attention in. As a commiefornia resident the 45-70 is my second go to behind my 870.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
A while ago, I built a 45-70 on a mauser action. 19" barrel. Nice rifle. Dropped a 2-7X scope on it. It was a deer rifle. then California made lead projectiles illegal for hunting. I bought some Barnes lead free projectiles and loaded them up. Never shot them, they just don't look right. Little short light rounds. I'm not a lever guy so my vote is for bolt action. maybe time to hunt out of state. Our forest is on fire and closed to recreation anyway.

·
Bugged out already
3,930 Posts
45/70 will work on anything in the lower 48, maybe even Alaska. I picked up a Marlin Dark Series 45/70. It’s 16.25” barrel makes it a really handy rifle.
45/70 will more than handle anything up here. I love my 45/70s. Something about the lever action and the old tried and true round pushes all my buttons in just the right way. I’ve not yet drawn a Buffalo tag, and if I do I will likely take my 45/70 lever verses my 338 bolt action for the hunt.

·
Texas chooses people.
2,374 Posts
I traded my Desert Eagle for a JM 1895g (with reload dies, and a bunch of ammo) last year. After a few rounds, I was absolutely in love.

But find an older one, before Remmy purchased them. Mine is 1998. and prestine.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts