Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Lone Wolf
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to get a big bore rifle for awhile now. I want something that I can take with me camping in Grizzly country. I've looked around and narrowed it down to the Marlin guide gun and the Henry all weather. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? If there is a better choice let me know. I definitely want a side ejection rifle, plus Henry and Marlin make good guns. I would want to handload for it so is one better at taking nuclear loads? I'd be using some 405 grain hard cast bullets. Also, how would a 45-70 compare to a 12 gauge with slugs at stopping a charging Grizzly? Let me know what you think.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,433 Posts

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
I have a Marlin, love it.
I think the Henry's are good looking rifles, but I can't get past the lack of feeding gate... if it's a dangerous game gun (or even just hunting) I want to be able to top it off if on the run.
Silliest thing about the Henry's, lack of feeding gate.

·
Lone Wolf
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
45-70 gives you about twice the kinetic energy of a 12 gauge slug. Penetration has to be better, since this is focused on a smaller diameter, usually heavier projectile. Add in improved accuracy and range, and there is a good reason why this is such a preferred big animal defensive guide gun.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.45-70government.html

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-slug-ballistics.html
Looks like the 325 grain bullet works a lot better.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That's interesting info about the 325 grain bullet. I have a 86 winchester my granddad sent to parker ackley and had it bored from a 40-65 to a 45-70 but he had the rate of twist changed for lighter bullets. I still have it, have not shot it much.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,231 Posts
I have the Marlin and can highly recommend it. If you can find one with the ported barrel, it seems to help keep muzzle rise down a bit compared to other guns I've fired in the same weight range. For bear defense, that would help you get a second shot a little quicker.

These things are great for large bear defense, but good Lord do they ever punish the shoulder!

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,184 Posts
Looks like the 325 grain bullet works a lot better.
They are not that accurate in my Marlin and are built more for deer class game.

For dangerous game like bears the old school 500 grain hard cast lead flat point at about 1300 feet per second is hard to beat.

(my $.02 YMMV)

MikeK,
Limbsaver makes a recoil pad for the Marlin levers. Or you can buy the slip on to try it before you change the factory buttplate.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
If you want to punish your shoulder, try 45/70 in a Ruger #3 with some heavy loads. :D:

I have a Marlin 1895G and a #3.

I like the Marlin OK, but its still a Marlin, and the action is kind of crunchy (even after some work), like most of them.

Still, it shoots well, and isnt bad to shoot, even with the heavier loads.

Mine is one of the early "Remlins", and I really lucked out, as I wasnt aware there were issues when I bought it. I got to see what people were complaining about a few months later in a local shop. AK type offset front and rear sights, crappy wood to metal fit, and crappy finish. Mine must have been made by the last Marlin guy working there before he got let go. :rolleyes:

Even after waiting awhile and going over three in the shop, I ended up with another "Remlin" in 30-30, a 336Y, and while it was the pick of the litter of what they had, it still took a bunch of work to get it to work. It wouldn't feed anything, right out of the box, as they never bothered to tune the extractor, and obviously, nobody bothered to check it for function before it left. And its still "crunchy". :rolleyes:

If your looking at anything current, or a few years old, Id be very leery and careful.

The Ruger is light and handy and can be brutal to shoot, but it is accurate, for the first couple of shots, anyway. :D:

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,231 Posts
They are not that accurate in my Marlin and are built more for deer class game.

For dangerous game like bears the old school 500 grain hard cast lead flat point at about 1300 feet per second is hard to beat.

(my $.02 YMMV)

MikeK,
Limbsaver makes a recoil pad for the Marlin levers. Or you can buy the slip on to try it before you change the factory buttplate.
I have the Limbsaver on mine. That's just a damned stout load. It's a 540 grainer at 1550 FPS. And you feel every foot per second of it!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,184 Posts
Like AK said above, Shoot it in a Ruger #3. The #3 seems to have a recoil amplifier. Makes the 1895 seem tame in comparison. Or load a 500 grain FMJ to 1900 and try them.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
Think of the #3's as shooting a 10-22, but in 45/70. Same basic stock. :)

I replaced the recoil pad on my 1895G with a butt plate. I hate recoil pads, as they make the stock longer (unless you trim the stock), which makes the gun awkward to shoulder quickly and naturally. For me, it just makes the gun kick harder, as I don't get it pulled into my shoulder right. The factory stock with a buttplate gives the proper LOP.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Ruger #1, NEF or H&R in 45/70, Winchester Lever 1886, Thompson Contender in 45/70.
300gr triple shock Barnes,TSX-FN, Hornady Leverrevolution 325 GR Flex tip, plus a couple of ones i load for my own rifles. I can vouck for any of the above. I own all the above. Ruger # 1 being one of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts