Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering how useful a .45-70 levergun would be in a SHTF situation. There's a lot to like about the round, as it's powerful enough to do anything we could possibly need it to do within its range limitations, which are ameliorated somewhat by new developments in ammunition (e.g. Hornady Leverevolution). My question is, does anyone make low-powered loads for the .45-70 that would be appropriate for self/home defense? Are there any tried and true reloading formulas that won't blow a hole through your house and your next two neighbor's houses?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
To answer your question no except for those of us who hand load for it. I have a Marlin 45/70 and would not consider it for home defense unless there were 4 or 5 zombies lined up in a nice row.
Fantastic round for big game but not for home defense.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Some companies such as Ten-X sell lighter loaded rounds for cowboy action shooting. But, 405 grains of lead at about 1200fps is still pretty potent.
I've got a New England Firearms Handi Rifle in 45-70, just in case any grizzly bears show up around this part of Florida.:D:
And at close to $50 for a box of twenty, handloading is in my future.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Although it may be entertaining to think about what my marlin 45-70 guide gun would do to a home invader, I am going to stick to the 12ga for such needs. Don't wanna waste my 45-70 ammo.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
A 300gr LFP turned backwards for your first shot is brutal on whatever it hits.
It won't feed for snot though.

I shot a whitetail a handful of years back with one and you wouldn't believe the damage.

I call it a "WOG-cutter".

There was an article back in an old Handloaders Digest (author Robert Sherman) about the .444 Marlin that showed how to make multiple ball loads and the data can be extrapolated for the .45-70, I made some 3 ball loads that were quite effective on various critters.

Do a web search and you'll find the article.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts