Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
im after tha new Henry

I own a Henry and they are amazing but $$$$. I may end up going that route anyway.
long ranger in .308 caliber,lil over $1000. but when ya buy quality ya only got to buy it once. some times, i agree, it does take a lil while.
seen the older 1894 marlins 44 mags,, pre-Remington buyout, sell for between 400$ and 700$

the 10 year old thing is pre-Remington buyout guns i believe. theres a 1971 44 mag Marlin on gun broker right now with a bid around 400$
#789321513 lil bit of wear marks.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,251 Posts
What I like about my RUGER 44/77 is that it has integral optic base built into the receiver. I carry a scope with WARNE quick release rings in my pack. The rifle has basic fold-down leaf sight, that I am comfortable with to roughly 85-100'ish yards. If I can't stalk closer and need to make a longer shot, the scope mounts in seconds, with just two leavers to throw.

Note: If anyone duplicates this you have to get the rings direct from WARNE........as they have the take a front and rear from other sets.......as regular Ruger M-77 rings will not work. You have to make it clear it is for Ruger 44/77.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
long ranger in .308 caliber,lil over $1000. but when ya buy quality ya only got to buy it once. some times, i agree, it does take a lil while.
seen the older 1894 marlins 44 mags,, pre-Remington buyout, sell for between 400$ and 700$

the 10 year old thing is pre-Remington buyout guns i believe. theres a 1971 44 mag Marlin on gun broker right now with a bid around 400$
#789321513 lil bit of wear marks.
I agree about quality and appreciate the heads up.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I like about my RUGER 44/77 is that it has integral optic base built into the receiver. I carry a scope with quick release rings in my pack. The rifle has basic fold-down leaf sight, that I am comfortable with to roughly 85-100'ish yards. If I can't stalk closer and need to make a longer shot, the scope mounts in seconds, with just two leavers to throw.
How is it without the scope? Decent to 50 yards?

·
Bugged out already
3,930 Posts
I love 44 magnum for both handgun and rifle. I know they are not the most popular rifle on SB, but I love my Marlin and Winchester 1894‘s in 44 magnum. I keep them well maintained and I’ve never had an issue with either. With this stock iron sights you are good to go at the effective range of the round.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love 44 magnum for both handgun and rifle. I know they are not the most popular rifle on SB, but I love my Marlin and Winchester 1894‘s in 44 magnum. I keep them well maintained and I’ve never had an issue with either. With this stock iron sights you are good to go at the effective range of the round.
Definitely leaning toward the Marlin right now. Any disadvantages for game at 75 yards or less? 100 yards?

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,251 Posts
How is it without the scope? Decent to 50 yards?
It is a quality bolt action rifle. The rifle will not be the issue for group size, that issue will be with the ammo. If someone wanted small groups I would think that ammo with the pointed plastic tip would group the smallest.

You can also get a peep-sight / aperture-sight / Ghost Ring sight that mounts on the built-in receiver. That would give a longer sight radius.

Because I live with Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in my front and back yard, I use the 320 gr. hard cast.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is a quality bolt action rifle. The rifle will not be the issue for group size, that issue will be with the ammo. If someone wanted small groups I would think that ammo with the pointed plastic tip would group the smallest.

Because I live with Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in my front and back yard, I use the 320 gr. hard cast.
That's a big grain for a .44 but I understand the need with the bears. I'd hate to shoot it with my revolver though LOL. What's the capacity?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts