Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you on here know that i'm a 13 year old prepper, the only prepper in the family, stockpiling and buying food, water, gear, ammo, etc. a little bit at a time, and that i'm currently trying to find a handgun for my dad. I've decided to go down the revolver route, because : 1.) My dad prefers revolvers 2.) There is less to go wrong and it requiers far less maintenence and 3.) It's more reliable and harder to stop. Oh, and because when you lose the mags (it is possible) to pretty much any semi-automatic pistol it becomes a paperweight:D: So, wer'e on a budget of preferably below 350 dollars, no more than 400. I looked at the Taurus Model 82 .38 special. Well within our price range and ammo is cheap so we could spend the remainder of the money on ammo to practice with, but I realized that the .357 Mag would be a better choice because of the versatility. I could use .38 spec. for practice and .357 mag for self-defence/hunting. But there seems to be a general hate for .357 mag. in my family. Both my Dad and Uncle claim that it's far too loud and that it's not nearly as acurate as .38 spec. And it isn't just because of a gun that was bad, because my dad had a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and my uncle had a S&W model 66 .357, and they have both shot other .357s with the same results. While I think that they should give the .357 a chance, my Dad still feels the same about .357's. So I guess that option is knocked outta the water... So, my father has said he wants either a .44 Mag or .41 Mag. Note that he once had a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag and loved both the gun and caliber. (at I talked him out of .41 because, while it is a great caliber and a "happy medium" the ammo is too darn expensive. While I know it would probably be overkill, how would a .44 mag do as a Self Defence/SHTF handgun that could also be used for hunting? Are there any good options out there with atleast a 4 inch barrel in our price range? I would call myself pretty stout, and I've shot a Mosin Nagant with the original steel buttplate and surplus ammo 100 rounds without stopping at all except to see where I was hitting, and I've shot a 12 gauge all day long while skeet shooting before, but would I be able to handle a .44 mag? Are there any other calibers out there I could consider? And one more question, where is the cheapest place I could find .44 Magnum ammo in bulk? AS always, any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Keep in mind that with the .44 magnum you can also shoot .44 special ammo (just like the shooting .38's in a .357).

However, the price of .44 magnum ammo or .44 special ammo is somewhat prohibitive for someone attempting to develop a stockpile for a disaster situation. Most people I know that shoot much .44 magnum reload for it. Not sure if you guys are set up for reloading yet or not, but if the .44 magnum is what you settle on I'd at least consider it.

As far as noise, any .44 magnums I've shot have been louder than a .357.

Keep in mind also the weight of the gun and ammunition. I carried what many would consider a lightweight pistol today and it still weighed me down. A stout .44 magnum and ammo would be a little bit physically taxing after a few hours.

Ultimately, 44 magnum and "budget" usually don't go well together, but if it is all your dad will get, it is nothing to scoff at.

In this situation, though, if it were me & my money, I'd look for a different option.

Perhaps you and your dad could go to one of the local shooting ranges and rent some of the different guns, just to get a better feel for the various calibers & which guns you shoot the best with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Really isn't anything a 44 does that a 357 can do. (donning nomex) I'd go for a 38/357 just for the fact that 38 is the least expensive of all the ammo. Maybe you'll be able to shoot your revolver more. Maybe look at that Ruger Blackhawk that can chamber and shoot 9mm ammo.

I have a 44 Mag, S&W 329PD. Awesome fun gun to shoot, carry and own with either 44mag or 44SPL. Ammo is expensive and I don't shoot it much. Really wish that my 329PD was a 357 because I would shoot it more often.

As far as a prep, no one really needs a 44 unless they are living in big bear country. If that is the case, I'd get a 44. If your like the rest of us, where we generally are on top of the food chain. Your only going to be using a handgun as a secondary defensive weapon or for game collection. 38/357 is going to take plenty good care of you.

If you want a 44 for a toy. You don't even need to ask us to justify that. I purchased myself a brushed chrome 44mag Desert Eagle on my 18th birthday. Did I need it, No. Did I want it, yes. Was it burning awesome, **** house hot, yes. So do what makes you happy.

Because neither a 357 or 44mag revolver are great prepper/survivalist guns. Best spend your money on a 22lr or 410 shotgun.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Like the .357\.38, the .44Mag will also shoot .44. So you have the versatility of cheaper rounds for practice, though much more expensive than .38. For hunting, many use it to hunt and would be my personal preference over a .357. If you want to use it for hunting now you probably need a 6" barrel to stay legal. For hunting in SHTF, that probably does not apply for obvious reasons. As for self defense, it all comes down to how well the shooter can handle the gun. It is more powerful than a .357, but that means nothing if you miss. I wouldn't use a single action for self defense, I'd want something I could use a speed loader on. And if you handload, you can work up a cartridge between .44 and .44Mag if anyone has problems handling it. For home protection, I would not want to use mag loads inside as the sound and pressure may cause damage to your hearing.

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad's only arguement left is that a .357 "ain't accurate". He won't even give one a chance. My Dad and Uncle are the only two people I have ever saw that don't like .357's..... is there anything I can do? Oh and BTW, i've tried to get my dad to get into reloading, but 1.) We have no quiet space in the house for him (we don't even have a basement) 2.) He claims that reloading is "too dangerous" and that "there's too many things that could go wrong". You'd think a man that has had guns since he was 7 would know more than his 13 year old son.....

There's only one shooting range remotely close to here. And it's pretty far away. And you have to be a member to shoot there, and a membership is expensive. In other words, it's for rich people, and that's something we aren't. Does anyone know of a good shooting range that doesn't require that you pay to shoot there in the extreme northwest part of NC, Extreme Northeast TN, or extreme Southwestern VA?

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, forgot to mention. We've (or rather, i've) collected a full areseanal of SHTF guns, consisting of:
Stevens Model 200 .308 for reaching out there
Type 56 SKS as MBR
Ruger 10/22 for backup
For right now, my dad's Remington 870 Express Mag 12 gauge with 26 inch barrel (yikes) until I can get a Mossy 500 Combo
Browning Buckmark "Camper"

I would use my Marlin 336 30-30, Marlin Model 60, Rossi .410, Charles Daly 20 gauge, and H&R Handi-Rifle .223 as "handout" weapons for a few less prepared friends. Only they'll have to produce their own ammo for the guns above ;) (except for the Marlin M60)

The only pistols i've ever shot is my dad's Buckmark .22 and my Uncle's Ruger Mk.2 .22

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect the reason they think the 357 aint accurate is because they are probably flinching when they shoot it . You said they think it's too loud which is probably making them flinch .
I've never shot a 44 mag but I'd bet they are just as loud or louder than the 357 .
Well, he said his Ruger Redhawk wasn't nearly as loud. And he's a very good shooter, so I doubt it was flinch. However, I think we've decided to go down the semi auto route now. Looking at inexpensive 1911's right now, namely the Rock Island Armory. But I guess that'll be another thread :thumb:

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I suspect the reason they think the 357 aint accurate is because they are probably flinching when they shoot it . You said they think it's too loud which is probably making them flinch .
I've never shot a 44 mag but I'd bet they are just as loud or louder than the 357 .
Two total different reports. The 44 has a loud boom while the 357 has a sharp crack (ear splitting I might add). I have a bad ear and can not shoot a 357. The 44 on the other hand is loud but much more dull.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was shooting a 44 at your age its mainly about conditioning not just strength conditioning but how much you have shot and what you have shot. As far as the 44 goes they are very expensive to stockpile and heavy if you are carrying a lot of it. I would go with the 357 just because the ammo is much more common and cheaper. Also as far as accuracy goes either your dad had a inaccurate gun or he can't shoot.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was given a Ruger Blackhawk .357 as a gift by my father-in-law. I shoot goats with it. Not much chance of failing though I'm not crazy about single action.

That said...if you reliably want to take out mutants in a car the .44 mag will do better any other thing mentioned handgun wise.

And to scoff at a revolver shtf is silly. I keep the Blackhawk on the computer desk at all times where it is available to my wife while she's online. I keep a variety all within not too many feet in about any direction. SHTF can be tonight if a person would consider a home robbery.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
I have one of each. While the 44 is a joy to shoot, it takes time to stock ammo at prices of today, and not much better reloading. The 357 is very accurate. Not sure why they think it isn't. But the 44 is gtoing to weigh more in most cases along with trying to carry the ammo for it.
As far as price, you might check out the pawn shops in your area. Just be sure to look the firearm over very well if you go that route.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your dad will love it.

Look for a used Ruger Security Six or a S&W, Pair it off with a Rossi Lever Action Rifle and use 38's and .357's. Stay away from Rossi and Taurus revolvers unless you want REAL HEAVY TRIGGER PULLS!!!!!

Cliff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts