Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking about getting one of these. I am leaning toward a Marlin.

Anyone have a .44 mag in lever action and how do you like it?

Am thinking, it'll hold 10+1, lots of firepower. Seems it'd be a great all around gn. Good brush gn, plus good home defense rifle. If the bad guy is standing 80 yards away, my pistol won't be accurate. It's not going to over penetrate like a 30/30 might.

What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had thought at one time of getting one of these myself. However, I opted for a shotgun and use of various ammunition for home defense and game hunting.

Also I thought about after the SHTF and getting ammunition. Easier to get and even reload shotgun shells than .44 mags!

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
Had thought at one time of getting one of these myself. However, I opted for a shotgun and use of various ammunition for home defense and game hunting.

Also I thought about after the SHTF and getting ammunition. Easier to get and even reload shotgun shells than .44 mags!
.44 Mag is very easy to reload. It is a very forgiving and versitile round. All the way from .44 Special plinking loads to elephant stompers in both cast boolits and jacketed bullets.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
My .02

I purchased a lever action a couple years back, I thought long and hard about the purchase. For me, I am always worried about the gun grabbers. When I looked into the history of what guns have been banned of had a bunch of restrictions it occurred to me that lever actions go completely unnoticed and left alone. Mine is a .45LC, and I am looking at getting another in 45-70. Lever actions are highly underestimated and overlooked be many survivalists and thankfully by most people in government.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good one to keep in your vehicle i'm thinking too. Those LEO's at that Kalifornia shootout against the 2 robbers all had only pistols. The fire fight lasted a relatively LONG time.
One guy with a lever action could have popped them in the head at their distances and the whole thing would have been over quickly.

Wonder if a Marlin would handle those powerful Garret cartridges. You know Sardog?

Good info Cupid, thanks. Can't go wrong with a shotgn i'm sure. What's the range on those?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've got Winchesters and Marlins and given the choice I'd take a Marlin.

I don't have a 44 marlin, but I've got the 357, and a buddy has a 41...

Great little guns.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

Am thinking, it'll hold 10+1, lots of firepower. Seems it'd be a great all around gn. Good brush gn, plus good home defense rifle. If the bad guy is standing 80 yards away, my pistol won't be accurate. It's not going to over penetrate like a 30/30 might.

What do ya'll think?

I think you need to get a Savage 99 .30-30, preferably the fwt takedown model.

I trust you understand why.

Other than that. dunno why a .44 is any better than a .30-30 for brush, doesnt make sense it would penetrate brush better but not a house. Bullet selection might make some difference. And you get more range from a .30-30; so better all around hunting round.

As for home defense..how likely is it that overpenetration is ever actually going to be a problem? A 12 ga pump gun is a better choice than any rifle anyhow.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I love my Marlin .30-30, I am looking at the .44mag myself. I have heard alot of good things about them, both for hunting and as a good all around house/ranch gun.

·
Banned
152 Posts
.44 is a good choice you can have a side arm in .44 as well...use same ammo that way....also that with the .44 mag you can carry a lot more ammo for the same weight than you would be able to with the 30-30. I hunted impalas as well as bush pigs back home with a rossi lever action in .357 many years back and the gun/cartridge always preformed impeccably.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I've got a .44 magnum lever action and I love it. Great little saddle carbine to have around the house. Did you know that at one time people used to shoot small bears with the .44 lever actions? They sure did! You hit a bad guy in the chest with a .44 magnum bullet fired from your lever action and that guy's had a real bad day...

·
glock snob
346 Posts
i have a ruger 44 carbine and i would put it up aginist any game in north america i hunt with it and cary my 629 awsome combo , i shot 2 deer with it last year one was at 100 yrds went through both shouiders and didint even slow down !! i load my own and they onily push 1600 fps and they will go a lot faster !! you wont be disapointed . yote killa

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. Soon as i get heeled, i'm buying one.

Brand new at the store they cost $500 out the door. Maybe i can find an almost new one by private owner.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I have one of the Marlins in stainless. It is a great gun. If you can pair it up with .44 caliber handgun you have a good combo. I really want to grab one of the Marlins in .357. If you look around the classifieds for a pistol caliber lever action you will see very few. There is a reason very few make it to the second hand market.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts

As a 1894 Marlin owner myself be aware of having to have some work done to keep the rifle from jamming as where sets in. It's called the Marlin jam or as the factory calls it "letting in Two", It's easy to correct when one glues a piece of hack saw blade to the bottom of the carrier to stop it from happening.

You got it a little reversed. The .44 Magnum has a ton more peritration over the .30-30 Winchester. The bulliet is twice as heavy and modren bulliets are all about weight retention. Where as the are three .30-30 rounds that a notortious for shattering in game thus making a awsome self deafense round. Still if you can put .44 Specials and some common sense on taking shots an you can have a fearsome weapon with magnum power.

As long as you get the above fixed I say go for it it's a graet rifle.

What do ya'll think?

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bought a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum a couple of years ago. It is a very well made rifle and will last my lifetime. While it would not be my first choice for HD rifle it does a nice job on deer, black bears and hogs. Using 240gr JHP it packs a nice punch with Fusion bonded ammo it drives deep and opens up nearly 2x great when you need deep penetration and expansion.
The 1894 has one advantage over some military rifles. You can load it as you go and never have to run on empty. In the political world we live in the cowboy gun draws much less attention than other weapons.
My Marlin is topped with a Bushnell 1.5 to 4x scope due to the fact that my eyes are getting old and I shoot much better with a scope. I have also used this rifle with a Tasco red dot. As a survival and long term rifle you will be doing fine .44 magnum is easy to reload and you can go hot for hunting or mild for plinking.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
my 16inch ported 1894 in 44mag is my to go rifle. Small, light and accurate. I just installed a scout mount and am looking for a 2x scope for it. It also has Brockman sights mounted for back up. I wish someone made plastic furniture for it.

My main load is Speer Gold Dot 44 specials - hit hard and light recoil. Have some full power loads just in case.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've got a .44 magnum lever action and I love it. Great little saddle carbine to have around the house. Did you know that at one time people used to shoot small bears with the .44 lever actions? They sure did! You hit a bad guy in the chest with a .44 magnum bullet fired from your lever action and that guy's had a real bad day...
Thank you for yours.

I very much like the concept of acquiring a rifle which is chambered for the same cartridge as my Super Blackhawk but until you mentioned it, I had not thought of it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

What do ya'll think?
Dont expect alot at 80 yds, It will work but there are better choices, 80 to 100 yds is maximum for the 44 mag. It is a good deer gun for brush hunting since most brush shooting is out to 50 yds, it is a decent defense gun but a short shotgun would make a better choice all the way around, in that you can shoot buckshot as well as slugs and it has equal range with slugs onboard. If the bad guy is 80 yds away, you should be moving farther away rather than trying to engage with a slow loading tubular magazine fed gun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts