Survivalist Forum banner

Would you ever / could you see yourself ever using a 44 magnum to defend your castle?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'm all in for both if that is what you want and do.

Reactions: ForgedInTheFlame

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wouldn't be my first choice. Limited capacity and the recoil would make it very difficult to operate with a light. Which is essential for a home defense system. As an open carry option during the day it would be decent but I would prefer something with more capacity. The 44 Mag is designed to penetrate large game animals. Not really needed for home defense.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
I like .44 a lot. Probably shot more rounds of .44 than any other caliber except .22

But the low capacity makes it hard to justify for serious use.

I used to open carry one regularly but as I got older, busier, etc all the weight and bulk just became more than I wanted to deal with.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,089 Posts
I live on a ranch in the Ozarks.

I own and use several big, heavy, magnum revolvers. Have been forced to use them at times to destroy large animals. I am very confident I can protect myself against any threat during daylight because I've already done that.

Otoh, I have several encounters here with black bears and panthers at night. My open sighted revolvers are not great after dark, so I purchased a Sig 220 in 10mm, and mounted a Streamlight.

You can't hit what you can't see, and controlling a magnum power handgun takes both hands.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,813 Posts
I can put 6 Factory .44 Mags in a pie pan at 25 yards and I know how to use speed loaders and speed strips so I wouldn't feel out of sorts with mine. Still, my first choice is and has been my .30 Carbine with folding stock.

I carried a Model 10 for years on the job and managed to somehow survive. The trick is not to reload but to draw another gun if needed. :D:

·
Better Looking Than You
745 Posts
I fired a qualification course at my first agency with a 4" Smith Model 29 for a couple of reasons...mainly "just cuz" I wanted to see how I would do. I fired a 296/300 but almost timed out. I was using 240gr JHP Federal 44 Magnum ammo. Accuracy was great, but the time between shots (splits) were about 25% greater than with my normal Smith Model 19 fired with 125gr JHP Federal 357 Magnum ammo (300/300), and 40% greater than when I shot the same qualifier with my Smith Model 19 loaded with 110gr Federal +P+ 38 Special, which was also a 300/300 score.

The Smith Model 29 is a great revolver...but not a great 44 Magnum revolver. Even with the alleged improvements, it is not a revolver to handle a steady diet of magnum ammo. They tend to shoot loose, out of time, and the cylinder will begin to develop an end shake. SO...the 29 really is a "44 Special that can shoot magnums sometimes". Honestly, a warm 44 Special in the 180 to 200 gr LSWCHP configuration at about 1000fps makes the Model 29 shine. You have to look, but you can find loads like those from Buffalo Bore and CorBon.

If you're a reloader, then the problem is solved though some will freak ALL the way out at the mere mention of using reloaded ammo for self defense...within a VERY narrow set of circumstances...it is explainable. Of course, if the S has HTF, then you don't need to be able to explain or justify your choice of ammo to anyone.

I have shot IDPA and USPSA with a Model 629 Mountain Gun using a pet load of 5.9gr of TiteGroup under a 180gr Cast LRNFP that hits 850fps over a chronograph and hits 1" high at 15 yards and dead on at 20 yards. It feels like a 38

A) You have developed a load that is very accurate, and primarily used for hunting or "critter defense" and that happened to be what you were primarily doing, then "I was using reloaded ammunition because I was hunting (insert innocent animal you want to slaughter here :rolleyes: ) and when I was attacked by (insert attacker here), I was forced to use what I had available".

B) You primarily use the load for harvesting potentially dangerous nuisance animals such as coyote or feral hogs. "I developed this particular load because I have a feral hog problem on my land, and it is accurate and takes them humanely and it happened to be the ammunition I had with me when I was attacked by (insert unarmed minority here)".

Of course, I do NOT recommend the use of reloaded ammo for urban, home defense when all other factors are "normal".

Nuts and bolts...a 44 Magnum revolver is NOT an amateur's revolver. Unless you are really good with a 38, or a 357...and I mean really good...you need to get really good before you strap on a 44 and think you will be as capable as the gun is. If you start your revolver journey with a 44 using full power magnum ammo, then you're going to develop flinches and horrible habits that will make you second guess the entire nature of the universe.

I am a Smith & Wesson man. I own a few Colts, mostly variations on the Python and a couple of Detectives Specials and a WWII vintage Police Positive, and I think I even have a 6" Trooper around here somewhere...so when I say this, you can believe it is a shock to me too:

The BEST choice in an all around 44 Magnum revolver is the Ruger Redhawk 4". It is bull strong and will handle a steady diet of full power magnum ammo that will shake a Smith Model 29/629 apart, and will make an Anaconda cry like a little girl. As a bonus, the Redhawk has a very simple action that is relatively easy to smooth out and make very nice.

The front sight blades are easily interchangeable to whatever configuration floats your boat, and the heft of the gun itself really dampens the felt recoil of the 44 Mag.

I can't recommend against a 44 Magnum in principle...just be aware of your own limitations as a shooter and recognize that it takes a lot of work to master it.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough and good point, I will take this into consideration for future polls.

:thumb:
See a lot depends on how the survey is phrased. At first I was gong to answer "yay." But the choice was "Not for me."

My not for me vote has nothing to do with the gun not being a good, "Home - Property Self-Defense / Open Carry" weapon. I just will not add another ammo sku.
Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very informative post here, thanks for sharing your experience!

:thumb:
I fired a qualification course at my first agency with a 4" Smith Model 29 for a couple of reasons...mainly "just cuz" I wanted to see how I would do. I fired a 296/300 but almost timed out. I was using 240gr JHP Federal 44 Magnum ammo. Accuracy was great, but the time between shots (splits) were about 25% greater than with my normal Smith Model 19 fired with 125gr JHP Federal 357 Magnum ammo (300/300), and 40% greater than when I shot the same qualifier with my Smith Model 19 loaded with 110gr Federal +P+ 38 Special, which was also a 300/300 score.

The Smith Model 29 is a great revolver...but not a great 44 Magnum revolver. Even with the alleged improvements, it is not a revolver to handle a steady diet of magnum ammo. They tend to shoot loose, out of time, and the cylinder will begin to develop an end shake. SO...the 29 really is a "44 Special that can shoot magnums sometimes". Honestly, a warm 44 Special in the 180 to 200 gr LSWCHP configuration at about 1000fps makes the Model 29 shine. You have to look, but you can find loads like those from Buffalo Bore and CorBon.

If you're a reloader, then the problem is solved though some will freak ALL the way out at the mere mention of using reloaded ammo for self defense...within a VERY narrow set of circumstances...it is explainable. Of course, if the S has HTF, then you don't need to be able to explain or justify your choice of ammo to anyone.

I have shot IDPA and USPSA with a Model 629 Mountain Gun using a pet load of 5.9gr of TiteGroup under a 180gr Cast LRNFP that hits 850fps over a chronograph and hits 1" high at 15 yards and dead on at 20 yards. It feels like a 38

A) You have developed a load that is very accurate, and primarily used for hunting or "critter defense" and that happened to be what you were primarily doing, then "I was using reloaded ammunition because I was hunting (insert innocent animal you want to slaughter here :rolleyes: ) and when I was attacked by (insert attacker here), I was forced to use what I had available".

B) You primarily use the load for harvesting potentially dangerous nuisance animals such as coyote or feral hogs. "I developed this particular load because I have a feral hog problem on my land, and it is accurate and takes them humanely and it happened to be the ammunition I had with me when I was attacked by (insert unarmed minority here)".

Of course, I do NOT recommend the use of reloaded ammo for urban, home defense when all other factors are "normal".

Nuts and bolts...a 44 Magnum revolver is NOT an amateur's revolver. Unless you are really good with a 38, or a 357...and I mean really good...you need to get really good before you strap on a 44 and think you will be as capable as the gun is. If you start your revolver journey with a 44 using full power magnum ammo, then you're going to develop flinches and horrible habits that will make you second guess the entire nature of the universe.

I am a Smith & Wesson man. I own a few Colts, mostly variations on the Python and a couple of Detectives Specials and a WWII vintage Police Positive, and I think I even have a 6" Trooper around here somewhere...so when I say this, you can believe it is a shock to me too:

The BEST choice in an all around 44 Magnum revolver is the Ruger Redhawk 4". It is bull strong and will handle a steady diet of full power magnum ammo that will shake a Smith Model 29/629 apart, and will make an Anaconda cry like a little girl. As a bonus, the Redhawk has a very simple action that is relatively easy to smooth out and make very nice.

The front sight blades are easily interchangeable to whatever configuration floats your boat, and the heft of the gun itself really dampens the felt recoil of the 44 Mag.

I can't recommend against a 44 Magnum in principle...just be aware of your own limitations as a shooter and recognize that it takes a lot of work to master it.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Raptor SVT for daily driver, yay or nay?

Well...what you gonna be doing with it and where you gonna be going daily?

It's not a "yay or nay" so much as a "does this tool fit the mission?" question. The .44 revolver is legal, likely in your area, and I like guns, so...auto-yay?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
In the been there, done that crowd.
Would have zero problems doing so again.
But then I also qualified regularly with wheelguns in .44 and.41 Magnum. Just in case I wanted to go retro or something.

Funny thing happened, we went to qualify one day. Got a bad batch of .45 ammo and literally every officers gun choked and failed.
I got a call, being the on duty officer, I just pulled out the .41 I had already qualified with and buckled it on. Finished the shift and part of the next day with the.41 until I could go through everyone's guns and have them reshoot. This was in 2009.

Capacity is nice, but reliability is king.

As an addendum, when I lived in the city, I kept the .44 Mag at bedside loaded with MagSafe ammo, thin apartment walls were a concern.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Overpenetration concern?

In the been there, done that crowd.
Would have zero problems doing so again.
But then I also qualified regularly with wheelguns in .44 and.41 Magnum. Just in case I wanted to go retro or something.

Funny thing happened, we went to qualify one day. Got a bad batch of .45 ammo and literally every officers gun choked and failed.
I got a call, being the on duty officer, I just pulled out the .41 I had already qualified with and buckled it on. Finished the shift and part of the next day with the.41 until I could go through everyone's guns and have them reshoot. This was in 2009.

Capacity is nice, but reliability is king.

As an addendum, when I lived in the city, I kept the .44 Mag at bedside loaded with MagSafe ammo, thin apartment walls were a concern.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
.44 Magnum wouldn't be my first choice unless my concern over bear encounters outweighed the likelihood of dangerous human ones.

I routinely see black bears (and the rare lion) in my yard and while out walking dogs at night. For quite awhile, I belted on a Model 58 or 57 Smith 4", but (as others have mentioned), most of my bear encounters are after dark. No light on a .41 N-Frame and I'm not even attempting to hand hold a tac-light while managing big magnum revolver recoil.

.44 or .41 hunting loads are ideal for the bruins, but the lack of a rail for a light is a problem. .44 or .41 with manageably recoiling anti-personnel loads are ideal for people, but not the penetration I want on a 300# bear.

I finally just switched to a railed .40 HK USP and some stiff Buffalo Bore loads. Plenty of rounds on tap, right bullet weight/velocity/construction, I have a light, and the combination suffices for people or cars as well.

I agree about the positive comments on the 4" Redhawk. I love 29s/629s, but the Ruger is just right for a tough and durable hand cannon.

I've always been partial to 4" S&W .44 & .41 mags. I just prefer them to the longer barrels. Since I don't handgun hunt with them, I'm not losing anything. They're just a hoot to fire with the shorter tubes.

When I was a boy, I fired my first 2 handguns the very same week. A .22LR/.22 WMR Colt New Frontier. Much fun and seemed quite powerful. Followed a few days later by a blued 4" Model 29 in .44 Remington Magnum. 50 rounds later, the web of my hand was shredded and bleeding, I was deaf, my wrist was sore, and I had a mile-wide grin on my face. Been hooked on the big bores ever since.

Anyway... I'd be OK with a .44 DA revolver for home/property defense, but it wouldn't be my first, second, or even third choice... unless the threat was primarily from large animals.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I love my .44 magnum lever action saddle carbine. It is a great, compact carbine for closer range defensive work. The .44 magnum and .44 special ammo will punch through walls, doors and glass when or if I need it to do so. Years ago, in the eastern U.S., people hunted small brown bears with .44 magnum lever action saddle carbines because they were that powerful.

As for home defense, I think that I would pass on using it for that. I would rather have something that works better with my home defense tactics. My .44 magnum lever action is too powerful for me to feel comfortable using it when I am more used to precision shooting and using good, level headed tactics. I don't need to punch through 4 walls and my neighbor's refrigerator in order to take down a bad guy.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Love my .44 mag Redhawk, 5.5 inch barrel. I'm a better shot with it than anything else I own.

Capacity doesn't matter if you hit what you aim at the first time.
That's only true to a point. If you have ten of 'em crowding your entryway, and six rounds, it's about to become one of them 'adventure' thingies....

I'm running a 10mm, influenced greatly by HickIndustries in the reasoning, and a 1911 chambering .45 ACP because it's what I've run for several decades now. Finally retired the Redhawk about a year back when the recoil just got too much for my wrists to handle.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts