Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my firearm experience has been with rifles so I have come to the wise folks at the shotgun forum seeking knowledge. I have an M6 Scout in .22lr/.410. Here's a picture:
M6Scout.jpg
The .410 barrel is 18" smooth bore with a full choke. It seems like everywhere I read about the M6 someone mentions slugs for situations where shot or the .22lr are inadequate.
http://www.cylindersmith.com/M6.html
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html
But it was my understanding that slugs should not be fired from a fully choked barrel. And that at best doing so would result in poor accuracy and at worst a damaged barrel.
Perhaps someone can clear up my confusion? Can I shoot slugs from my favorite little survival gun?

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Everyone I've ever spoken with agrees with what you said, full choke - no slugs.
I tend to agree though I've never tried it; it stands to reason that when the powder ignites and pushes the slug (I'm assuming a rifled slug), the slug will expand a tiny bit. Then it will meet the choke and friction will increase a great deal. Steel is stronger than lead but I think the long term result would be a badly worn barrel.
I don't know if this would effect accuracy. 0, 00 or 000 may be the answer.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah, older models were made without the choke. I cut open a Winchester slug to see if the lead would fit through the end of the barrel and it doesn't. Can't remember if it was the same story with the 45 long colt round (probably). You could get the barrel bored out, if you don't mind having the gun modified and aren't concerned about changing it's value as a collector's piece...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose it could be the case that people reporting accuracy with .410 slugs were using older, cylindrical barrels. I don't think I would ever bore out the choke because I think shot would be more valuable in a survival situation and the pattern is a bit thin already. I will probably keep a slug round in the stock anyway for emergency use at very close range.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
i tried shooting slugs outta mine and the accuracy was beyond horrible. stick with Federal's new .410 buckshot loads they made for the Tarus Judge. i also use the 3 and 5 shot lead buckshot from winchester, you would like those. heres a pic of my M6

now i use Uncle Mike's rifle ammo wallets to store the .410 shells. i also use aftermarket folding knife sheaths to store a silva matchbox/compass, a Cold steel Mini-Bushman folder and a magneseum firestarter, all this fits on the sling. i also made a spare linch pin for it just in case the original gets lost. ive hunted with it with success for squirrel with both the .22 LR and the .410. built up a large survival kit around this gun.
------ Eric

·
Old Soldier
5,069 Posts
Wow, this is an old thread.
Yes, Foster slugs, AKA "rifled" slugs, can be fired thru a full choked bore with no problem. The skirt on these slugs is thin enough to compress suficiently.
I fire slugs thru my full choked 410's (a single shot and a double barrel) with no problem whatsoever. But remember, the 1/5 oz ones are only 88 grains, at, I believe, 1800 fps. They lose velocity rapidly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts