Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some 30-30 ammo on Ammo to Go. It had a sabot with what I think was a .223 round inside the sabot. It said that it had a velocity of over 4000 fps.

Why would someone want a velocity that high?
What are the downsides? For instance, it seems that since the .223 round is nowhere near the diameter of the barrel, the rifleing would not do any good, so the round would not spin and accuracy would be lost.

So why do people want a 30-30 cartridge, that shoots a .223 round, that has a velocity of 4000fps, that might also not be that accurate?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
Never heard of it and I doubt a 4000 fps 30-30 round exists.
No polymer sabot could take the pressure.
The .220 swift is the only .22 cal bullet I know of that approaches 4000.
The C.U.P. pressure whould have to be around 53,000:xeye:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. It is 30-06. The 30-30 is 3600fps.

See here, or the link below.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/...ccelerator-55gr-sp-ammo&cName=rifle-ammo-3006

That makes sense that the sabot would transfer the spin.

I don't think the pressure would be any higher. It is just that the same pressure is applied to an object of less mass. F=ma. F is the same. Mass is decreased. Therefore acceleration, and consequently velocity, is increased.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Yep, but one downside is it doesn't do very well in cross winds. It's ok for a varmit buster in the field and as a defensive round inside a house for it shatters in flesh real easy. It's one of three rounds in .30-30 Winchester thats able do that.

Rifleman 336

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
yet more tacticool crap

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The site mentioned the penetration capability.

Why would this round be any more susceptible to wind than any other round of .223 caliber?

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
They are called accelerator rounds produced by Remington. Designed to turn a big game rifle cartridge into a varmit hunting cartridge.
The idea was to extent the usefulness of standard .30 cal. ammunition by using a plastic saboted .22 cal bullet. Accuracy will vary between rifles some like the sabots some don't.
Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts