Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School was closed yesterday do to a winter storm, which wasn't as bad as they said it would be. We did get 13 inches of snow though so it does qualify as a winter storm.

I have a little over three miles of public roads that I drive to get to work and on the way in I saw 8 vehicles in the ditch. All of them were 4-wheel drives. While 4 wheel drives do well in more conditions than 2 wheel drives, they still cannot drive on snow covered roads at 55 miles an hour. It gets proven over and over after every snow storm. People in four wheel drives think they can drive faster than what they should and end up in the ditch. While people in two wheel drives know that they have to take it carefully so they slow down and actually make it to where they're going. It's no wonder insurance rates are so high.

blt

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,244 Posts
Wow. The same thing happens here in Texas after an ice storm. I think that it is part of the armchair commando syndrome. You know, when there is a light drizzle on the road and they have to conquer a 2 degree incline they have to have the Hummer 4x4 for that rugged Dallas terrrain.

You can tell who will end up in a ditch after a snow or ice storm. They are the ones with the lifted 4x4 without a scratch on it, custom shiny oversized wheels and the undercarriage is clean enough to eat off of.

· I Love Guns
317 Posts
we get that around here....not as much as others but we have a few ppl that forget there is a foot of snow coming down ...i don't stop for ppl that run themself into a ditch cause they can't drive..i had a guy do it right in front of my house last year ...3 in the morning

· Adaptable.
1,973 Posts
when I was down in SoCal for thanksgiving, I pulled up next to a Tacoma that had been fully modded; huge at tires, nerf bars, body and suspension lifts, front and back warn winches... The works. Sitting at the red light, I was admiring his set up and laughing that there were no scratches or dirt on it, then I took another look at the undercarriage and realized it was a bloody 2wd.

At least in the county where I live, there are 3500 miles of dirt roads, so when you see big trucks, they are typically dirty and well used. People around here know what 4wd is for, and it's not ice racing. I bet half of those stuck 4x4s were SUVs and I'd also lay money that they never even put em in 4wd.

Dummies in disco trucks.

· Registered
2,029 Posts
"Asphalt 4-Wheelers".....

Was on my way to Little Tujunga shooting range years ago, and was followed by this lifted Toyota monster. I saw him pull off the road in my mirror, into a muddy patch I had passed, so I stopped to see what was up. He did a 4-wheel burnout rooster in forward, then in reverse, then did a u-turn and headed back into town. 45 seconds to muddy the ting up, and about 4 hours to get it back to spit polish again.

I was laughing so hard I missed the turn into the wilderness range!!

· Nope.
2,095 Posts
Makes me happy with how I learned to drive in hazardous terrain... Wyoming mountains with either an 81 Buick or a 1950-1960s(don't remember the year) 2WD pickup.

And in that pickup, I watched my step-father drive down trails that even his brothers were afraid to take their fancy-dancy 4WDs.

Sometimes it's all about training.

· Adaptable.
1,973 Posts
I will admit to doing thee front and back rooster in my blazer. We have a huge
Mud patch right beside where the road goes from dirt to pavement. After a winter of doing this after every rain, I had nearly a half inch of mud caked on. Of course with all the body rust on the blazer, it's the only way the beast looks decent.

And driving in 4wd every day to get home, you learn the limits. Washboard roads and empty truck beds lead to spin outs in the best conditions, and ice is ice; 2,3,4 or 6 wheel drive.

· one day at a time
2,456 Posts
See it all the time during ice stormes. The only things I have seen actualy be able to go at a higher speed than everyone else on a sheet of ice............ Jeep wranglers. they fly by and dont see them in a ditch. The hummers are funny the look on their faces from being in the ditch.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
The last time I was coming back from Minnesota they got a couple feet of snow. Here I am cruising along at 35 MPH {with my Georgia license plates} on the interstate getting flipped off by nearly every car.

I passed most of those people sitting in the road ditch.

That said, I only drive 4 wheel drives. I have been stuck enough times on some ridiculously small obstacle in a 2wd that its just in not worth the added pain in the ass to me. There is nothing more helpless than a 2wd truck on green grass!

· Registered
125 Posts
Here in Mo we don't get as much bad weather as some of you northern folks but we do get bad drivers when it gets slick out. My wife and I haven't really had any instances where we have wrecked due to bad weather. Growing up we lived 60 minutes from town and had to travel rural blacktop roads to get from point A to point B. We're taught to take our time and use good judgement when driving in bad conditions. We drive a little front wheel drive car and go nearly everwhere in it. Down mud roads, over water covered roads, and threw snow that even the big trucks have a hard time in. In the last 15 years the only close call I have had is back in 93 we had an ice storm and I had to travel to town in the storm. Once I got to the highway and started encountering other vehicals things got scary. Being safe I was driving slower than normal and I had a car pass me. While it was passing it lost tracion and slid sideways in front of my car. Lucky for him I wasn't in as big of a hurry as he was and I was able to control my car to a stop while he was sliding out of control in front of me. People seem to be caught up into getting to where they are going and arriving on time instead of driving safely and getting to their destination alive.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
You see this all the time in MI. Zero traction is zero traction, doesn't matter how many wheels you have turning.

Now that I live in CT I don't see it as much. But even a forecast of heavy snow for the next day has schools closing and people not coming into work. I grew up driving a rear wheel drive car in MI winters. The only thing that scares me during bad weather is the other drivers, not the road conditions.

· Registered
235 Posts
Wow. The same thing happens here in Texas after an ice storm. .....
Thanks Highlander for the memories. When I lived in Dallas, every time there was a ice storm, the highways and road shoulders are full of abandoned cars, literally!

I see it all the time especially up here in SF Bay area when I need to go through Reno or Lake Tahoe. Stupid people who buy 4wd to go up in the mountains so they don't need to use chains figure they can finally out-pace the sports cars! Yeah, until they need to stop, or hit ice. I have seen 20 car pileups to the side of the road around a bend almost every year. Mentioned before, you can't slow down any faster in 4wd.

The best idiots are the built up 4wd with selectable lockers (yes I have them too, but don't use them on ice :)). They lock both front and rear as well as put in 4wd. As soon as they hit a sheet of ice, they instantly turn into a top!

I have stopped to help some people stuck in snow drift and found:

10% are just plain jerks.
10% I will see them again in a snowdrift down the road.
20% Listen and say "your right" or "really?"
60% Say thanks and just slow the %^&* down.

Oh, and bit of advice on snow/ice driving: a 4wd open pickup is the best, I prefer to take my dodge ram instead of my lifted, locked, loaded Jeep with a winch! I have gotten through the worst by piling snow in the bed for weight (2wd can use that trick too) just make sure you always carry a PLASTIC snowshovel with you (If you need to un-bury your vehicle, you will regret having a metal one, I know :xeye:)

· Sugar-free
4,187 Posts
Where I live, 4wd is a must-have in the winter. You simply can't go places in a 2wd when there is a foot of powder on the road, and ice covered hills. 4wd's have their limits, but those limits are far beyond the capabilities of a 2wd.

· Hunter/Farmer
2,031 Posts
No, but some of them down here swim purdy good.:D:

(Disclaimer: When that cut on the beach is flooded, I go way around to keep from soaking my undercarriage in saltwater.)

After Ike I went fishing at the Mouth of the Brazos. My normal access was blocked by a 10 ft wall of sand that the dozers were shoving off the entrance to the beach.
But I knew a backway in. Trouble is the last 200yds are usually deep puffy sand. When I got to it , the sand was puffy but looked passable. I had a shovel and carpet strips, so I locked the hubs and skimmed on over to the beach and began fishing.
About an hour later I see a subcompact low rider come driving up.:xeye:
I had to ask how he got on the beach. Seems those dozers cleared the road shortly after I left there.:rolleyes:

The old adage, A 2 wheel drive will get you stuck, a 4 wheel drive will get you stucker! comes to mind.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.