Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well without even framing it in these terms I’ve been collecting knowledge of how they do things in the 3rd world or at least other parts of the world for several years now!

I’ve added in several good bits information from how things were done historically here in the US as well as some forest service’s books on how they are still doing things in the outback/remote areas they deal with!

When I first experienced this first hand many I was with were laughing about the situation folks there found themselves in rather than admiring the ingenuity of the problem solving abilities of those involved!

I have found myself using several bits I gleaned during construction/remodeling and emergencies that limited the functioning of whatever building I was in!

So I guess I finally jelled what I’ve been doing for years into finding out how the various parts of the world accomplish common human task!

SD

·
Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
1,989 Posts
My grandmother who raised me was a frontiers woman. She was also a rare and antique book collector way before it was fashionable. She passed a library to me with many of the books about how to do things from the 1800s and before. So far I've found none of them are from other countries however. Might be interesting to see different techniques.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
it was called cd3wd or CD for the 3rd world development. I downloaded it back in early 2000 and it is still available online BUT and this is a biggie.. What you will find is most often only the PDF's from the project. At the time a large portion of it was done the old school way and the author put the material up as HTML pages. IF you can find the entire CD collection then you can recreate the entire site on your laptop or computer.. ITS LARGE just a warning and rebuilding it isnt simple but its out there if you wan tit.. TONS of info on low tech solutions to survival in 3rd world countries

·
Bugged out already
5,006 Posts
My wife grew up in one of those third world countries and she has a wealth of useful knowledge. There is also indigenous knowledge that I have found useful. I think it’s wise to become familiar and proficient in these areas. For those who live in the northern boreal forest, a good book is Hunters of the Northern Forest: Designs for Survival among the Alaskan Kutchin is an anthropological treasure trove of old world knowledge of how to thrive without any technology.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
SD
Well without even framing it in these terms I’ve been collecting knowledge of how they do things in the 3rd world or at least other parts of the world for several years now!

I’ve added in several good bits information from how things were done historically here in the US as well as some forest service’s books on how they are still doing things in the outback/remote areas they deal with!

When I first experienced this first hand many I was with were laughing about the situation folks there found themselves in rather than admiring the ingenuity of the problem solving abilities of those involved!

I have found myself using several bits I gleaned during construction/remodeling and emergencies that limited the functioning of whatever building I was in!

So I guess I finally jelled what I’ve been doing for years into finding out how the various parts of the world accomplish common human task!
,SD,

I still reply on methods and techniques used in the second and third world.

My oldest sister in law visited us here in my retirement shack here in Virginia.. She grew up in China from being a small child at end of WWII through all the other eras. She showed me how to dry clean a garment with a couple of drops of gasoline.

Much 3d world stuff I know about because parents were products of Great Depression, WWII , Korean War and father a reserist during much of Coldl War. One example: No bent nails discarded. Thet were hammered out for later use. Another example: fishing hooks can be sharpened for further use by using a stone.

"Where one can live, one can live well." Anon.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
There is far more 3rd world info that was given to these countries than many realize. Water is a prime example. Pre UN missions to these countries the people just drank what water they had. They seldom worried about sanitizing it and as a result waterborne pathogens killed large numbers. Low tech solutions to the problem were invented then taken to these countries. Tech such as slow sand filtration and water rams wasnt invented by some villagers in a 3rd world country. American taxpayers paid the bill for these programs, go get the documents and consider them a return on your investment

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bent nails reminded me of something I’d not thought about in years!

As a teen I worked at a place this old guy I knew of, but never worked with had just retired from.

When putting on a roof the 3rd nail that got away from you would earn you a trip down the ladder to retrieve them! He was a cranky old bastard by most accounts and would come at you snapping his pliers at you if he thought you were moving too slowly! He never got ahold of anyone and no one ever figured out if it was just show or he’d actually get you as everyone involved didn’t want to take the chance.

His crew gold plated a pair of 420’s or 430’s for him when he retired so they did like him, but he put up with very little BS by most accounts!

SD

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
It's always good to see how people live who don't have the luxury of much money. They make do with what they have and the resources around them. It might be food, water, clothing, shelter, or all of that and more.

We have pockets of people here in the US who are familiar with being poor or using the old ways. Hunting, fishing, growing food, living on small amounts of money, recycling (the real thing, not the alternate trash bin thing), preserving, maybe living without certain conveniences if one doesn't actually need them.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Knowlage on third world living can be helpful. But many of there solutions are illegal here.

And many others took thousands of years to develop to that speceffic area, resources and culture and would not work with our laws and cultures. Many places have shared common land that people can live on and harvest from in ways that aren't acceptable here.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
here is a link to a portion of the orignal CD3WD project. The original guy passed away and the project fell into non status. Now someone else has picked it up, his son I think?? there is talk of reviving it but for now here is a link to some of the info..

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Since I was a kid I loved learning from older folks, how they lived and what the world was like in their time. Some folks allowed me to read letters written in the 1800s, they were real eye-openers, especially during times of war, and the 1929 depression. Some were immigrants from Europe coming in steamships and sailing vessels working their way to freedom.
I have some old how-to books written in the early 1900s I peruse from time to time they are really fun. In that book I found the technique my grandfather used, making knives, he was my inspiration for blacksmithing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My Mom survived Dresden as a teenager and then grew up in East Germany before escaping to the West. My Daddy was a Hillbilly out of West by God Virginia who fooled the Army recruiter into believing that he was old enough to enlist. He was over six foot six at sixteen. I grew up in half a dozen different countries and "hollers" and I saw ways of doing stuff that to us, were normal but to modern Americans was unknown.

·
Swirl Herder
4,312 Posts
Always interested in things like this. I'd much rather have this knowledge than rely on modern technology.
Ironically......the vast majority of people in the third world, aspire to possess first world technologies and conveniences.

They spend their whole lives working towards that goal - they are just several decades behind us in that progression.

But there have been several studies that have suggested that the poor in third world places are mostly happier than ordinary people in first world nations.......so maybe it won't end well.

Perhaps it is that grass is always greener thingy.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I think what people want is a simpler life and they confuse a life without technology with that simpler life. Tech isnt what makes our lives complex and fast paced. We have lost touch with our own humanity and the relationships with our kinsmen. We long to be back with the tribe and we blame technology for that hole in our being...

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
the knowledge wasnt traditional 3rd world stuff. it was from projects and pamphlets ie field manuals put out by NGO's and universities to help transfer low tech knowledge TO 3rd world countries. The info was in printed format and microfiche which were digitized by the CD3WD project to make disseminating it easier. Subjects such as building dams, making slow sand filtration units, animal husbandry of non native animals, small industry, crops and irrigation. Basically humanitarian efforts to improve or "civilize" if you prefer the 3rd world peoples

1 - 20 of 85 Posts