Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service

FCC

Another Link of 3G going Dead
Tracfones, flip phones, Jitterbugs and even older-style smartphones will no longer be able to make calls once the networks are taken down, Davidson said. Many people, especially senior citizens, have kept older model phones they are comfortable using,
This will effect other stuff that relied on 3G older Security Networks and even some medical equipment

3G

Reactions: Fonz

·
Paleoconservative
1,608 Posts
I had looked into this with my recent switch from the GARBAGE coverage experience I had been dealing with on AT&T's network in the semi-rural area I live in.

From what I could tell, here is how you can tell if your phone will still be supported, but first a little needed background info..

In continental US at least, the cellular network infrastructure is comprised of the 3 major networks: Verizon, At&t, Tmobile. And thats it. Every other cell service provider is piggybacking off of one of those 3 networks.

The larger cities and metro areas are given priority in terms of coverage and quality of service including available bandwidth for data use. Its far more variable and less reliable in rural and semi rural areas, so network choice becomes THE most important factor if you want to actually use the phone in these areas.

Based on my own experience and extensive reading of other's experiences across the US, Verizon's network seems to provide more coverage to more rural areas than the other two to an extent that it is painfully obvious if you make the wrong choice.

Now, for the changes. Up until recently, the three major networks had 4G coverage in the cities and most urban areas. The 3G coverage served as the fallback for coverage areas not supported by 4G. If you had a 3G phone, it would work on the 4G network but was self-limited to a 3G service experience for the user. Mostly a data thing.

With the 5G rollout, the fallback will be 4G in areas where the 5G coverage is not yet supported. I expect it will be a LONG time before 5G is a reality in Nowhere, Nebraska. So...3G is no longer the fallback, its being kicked off the systems entirely, hence 3G phones going to be paper weights.

If you have a 4G phone, even several years old, it should still work fine on the updated 5G and 4G networks. All new 5G phones will still use 4G if operated in rural areas where the 5G support has not yet made it to, because 4G is all thats available there.

ETA: Just my own theory, but, because the priority for the big 3 is on upgrading the network's cell towers to 5G starting in the most populous areas..the rural areas are going to be a LONG ways down the priority list in having towers out there upgraded to handle larger volume of call traffic AND the increased demand on bandwidth capacity for internet use.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
All the more reason to go with two way radios as a back up. While the current wireless networks are quite robust, it wouldn't take much for them to go down. Cell towers have generator back ups but that's only good as long as the engineers can keep feeding them gas or diesel. Once the cell site loses power, coverage goes down. There's also the issue of network operation centers. Even if the cell sites are unaffected by a shtf scenario, if the NOC's go down then so does functionality for a whole region.
We are conditioned to go through life depending upon our modern conveniences. If there is some sort of shtf scenario and cell phones don't work, that will be the first panic.
Just look how people can't get through their day if they forget their phone at home or these lose it. So I don't understand why people balk at investing in at least simple two way radios for their family when they will buy $900 phones for themselves and their kids and pay hundreds per month to use them.
Come on people....

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service

FCC

Another Link of 3G going Dead
Tracfones, flip phones, Jitterbugs and even older-style smartphones will no longer be able to make calls once the networks are taken down, Davidson said. Many people, especially senior citizens, have kept older model phones they are comfortable using,
This will effect other stuff that relied on 3G older Security Networks and even some medical equipment

3G
Biden phones anyone?

• Haha
Reactions: BrianWorf

·
Registered
665 Posts
All the more reason to go with two way radios as a back up. While the current wireless networks are quite robust, it wouldn't take much for them to go down. Cell towers have generator back ups but that's only good as long as the engineers can keep feeding them gas or diesel. Once the cell site loses power, coverage goes down. There's also the issue of network operation centers. Even if the cell sites are unaffected by a shtf scenario, if the NOC's go down then so does functionality for a whole region.
We are conditioned to go through life depending upon our modern conveniences. If there is some sort of shtf scenario and cell phones don't work, that will be the first panic.
Just look how people can't get through their day if they forget their phone at home or these lose it. So I don't understand why people balk at investing in at least simple two way radios for their family when they will buy $900 phones for themselves and their kids and pay hundreds per month to use them.
Come on people....
..........but 2 way radios do NOT have web capabilities....just sayin. I web surf a LOT more than I would actually make a phone call to a person....
When the Big One hits and we lose all coverage, ALL BETS ARE OFF. Every man for himself.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Uplevel and backlevel phones here.
The backlevel is an LG that came into my hands free-of-charge.
Anyway I pay Tracfone for three-month charge cards that work out to about $7/month.
Problem is that I bought some of these in advance when the supply
dried up last year. Ha~! Nine month supply on hand now, I think.

I really only use this phone for receiving text messages with codes for
logging on to financial sites. I'll be holding out until it quits.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
..........but 2 way radios do NOT have web capabilities....just sayin. I web surf a LOT more than I would actually make a phone call to a person....
When the Big One hits and we lose all coverage, ALL BETS ARE OFF. Every man for himself.
Correct, two way doesn't offer what your cell phone does and it's not meant to. However, two way was here before cellular and will be here after. There are handhelds that can do packet data and there will be FRS radios that will eventually have packet data available commercially. Right now that's a bit complicated but if it's profitable you will eventually see it in handhelds.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,193 Posts
Dagnabbit!! I'm still angry they took away my party line and rotary phone.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” Frank Zappa
and to piggyback on “progress”.

”Everything, at one time, was considered progress until it wasn’t“, Author Unknown.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,329 Posts
Dagnabbit!! I'm still angry they took away my party line and rotary phone.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” Frank Zappa
Frank was an expert in deviating from the norm. Brown shoes don't make it. Quit school, why fake it!
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Paleoconservative
1,608 Posts
My 2G Verizon phone still works. Verizon has been threatening to cut me off for over 3 years and it hasn't happened.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Verizon has slow walked and delayed the 3G shutdown alot more than At&t and Tmobile. The reason they publicly put out there is to give people time to obtain more recent phones of 5G compatibility, or at least 4G.

But, I suspect that in large swathes of rural and very rural areas...that when they shut off the 3G, the people in those areas will find themselves with NO service even with the newer phones. Because the towers in those rural areas never even got brought up to 4G, forget 5G. Out there, its 3G or nothing.

Whatever the case, I do think they will be shutting it down sometime in early to mid 2022.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Even though they were 4G capable, AT&T shut down our Galaxy S8's last month.
They were not willing to do software updates to them to allow them to stay on the pay as you go network.

Hello Verizon....
We had the same thing happen with Cricket, which uses AT&T towers. My Wife's Samsung S8 Plus will not work after Feb. 2022. Cricket has a web page listing the phones that will work on their network.

My S8 Plus will not be useable on Verizon at the end of 2022.

We were not ready to upgrade our phones, but.....

Forum Watcher

1 - 20 of 28 Posts