Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A bit long ....

So today is the 39th anniversary of the Lubbock Tornado.

I knew it was going to be a strange day that day. I had been bragging to friends on the playground that since I was part Indian I could do an effective rain dance. I spun in circles like a dervish until I got into a strange head space, not just dizzy but actually altered. All the while I chanted in a mock native cadence that sounded about right to me. Later that afternoon the air took on a heavy feeling as the horned toads looked for cover.

That night my mom had dropped me off at an all night day care while she and my soon to be dad and his brother went to the movies. I had seen the news that evening and had told them I was worried about the storm warnings. My soon to be uncle and father assured me that it was no big deal.

I was 6 years old,so I believed what adults said. Much later that night the people who ran the center stormed into the big room we were all sleeping in. They snapped on the lights and gathered all the girls and took them into a storm shelter. They told us boys, all 4 of us that there just wasn't enough room below ground for all of us. Only years later did I remember this fact and realize the total BS of the situation. Anyway the man who was married to the woman who ran the daycare center told us to scoot to the corner and he threw a mattress over us.

I was on the outer edge of the mattress and lifted it up to see what was going on. Just as the man cleared the kitchen to go out the back door we could hear the sirens start up. A few moments later a low rumble mixed with a sharp howl started getting louder and louder. Two of the boys with me started to cry, the other boy started to pray. I however was exhilarated. I kept the mattress propped up so I could watch what was going on.

As luck would have it the area that house was in only took a glancing blow from the twister, although I was treated to the spectacle of a large Pecan tree crashing through the roof and cutting their house in half. It landed about nine feet from where I lay under the mattress.

Soon thereafter my mom and company picked me up. We made a circuitous journey back to the house due to all the debris in the road, mangled cars, parts of houses etc .... A ten minute drive took over an hour. After we got home the guys said goodnight and left. I was up early the next morning checking things out. My house suffered some fence damage and nothing more. My friend Ricky across the street and two doors down lost most of his roof.

Later the next day we went through the closets and got together a bunch of stuff to donate. As we drove to drop it off I couldn't believe the level of destruction. Most memorable for me were the big lights at the Texas Tech Stadium folded in half, some hanging inside the stadium and some outside and the church that was all destroyed except for the altar and the cross hanging above it.

A few days later when I went back to school all the kids who knew about my rain dance cut me a wide berth, and nobody gave me lip for the rest of that year.

So what did I learn?
1. Adults don't always know what's going on or have all the answers.
2. There's no rhyme or reason when a disaster strikes. Things that look fragile come through unharmed and things that look tough shatter easily.
3. Danger can be exciting.

Well that's about it for now. Check out the link to the article about the storm. There's an old home movie showing the destruction at the bottom of the page.
http://www.lubbockonline.com/lubbock_tornado/

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Awesome story.

I've been within 2 miles of several tornadoes, my friends call me a "Tornado Magnet".
However, all this time I have never actually seen the twister with my own two eyes, it was just confirmed by damage or the NWS afterwords.

Last year we had an F2 destroy a few houses less than a mile up the street.
I actually went outside on our deck to try and see it, at that point I had no idea how close it actually was.
I distinctly recall what sounded like fireworks, actually as I found out, it was the sound of trees and 2X4s snapping.
A few weeks earlier I was in downtown at the Civic Center during the tornado that hit the CNN Center and Georgia Dome.
Before that it was during Hurricane Charlie in '04.
And a couple that actually damaged out house both times before that.

Bad guy to bug out with huh? lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great story and a hell of life lesson .

I was in country on my second tour
that year but we did hear about it
in the Stars and Strips .

That was big event in 1970.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My first experience was with a tornado as well. In Marietta Ga, as a matter of fact. At the time we lived in a small, split level home. There was no decent place to hide in that house. I remember looking out the basement window with morbid fascination. The branches and debris flying by the window were amazing to me.
As far as adults not understanding situations, I received a first hand lesson a couple of weeks ago. We were planting our garden and prepared to head back up to camp. My son and daughter had been wading in the creek and were soaked to the skin. We hopped on our four wheelers, due to trail conditions we all had to make 4 point turns to get moving in the direction desired. Somehow, when my brother in law put his machine in reverse my daughter fell right off. She immediately screamed that her arm was broken. Naturally my wife hauled ass to camp nearly dumping me {I was riding on back of her machine} off in the process. The long and short of it is her arm was broken. I could see that her forearm was bent in such a fashion that X-rays were not really required.
Lessons learned? Kids are smarter than we give them credit for and my wife has some panic issues that I have to resolve. Oh, and tornado's suck!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Well my grandmother comes to visit a bizzard hits the day befor like clock work and were she lives the snow melts and they have warm weather for the time she is away she gets back and is like the snow is gone.. Bam billazard the next day... Happens everytime and it doesnt snow normally here just when she comes it sets a new recored..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts