Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you 38 snub guys and girls , what defensive ammo do you carry ?

Been doing a little research . Looks like most defense ammo underperforms out of a short barrel .
Problems with rounds not expanding like they were designed to do because of lower velocity out of short barrels .

Most manufacturers tests are preformed with a 4 inch barrel .

I tried the Remington Ultimate Defense 125 grain +P that is designed for compact handguns .
The flash it produced was huge and this was in daylight . I didn't like that !

My snub is the Ruger LCR 38 +P .

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Refer to:ONE SHOT STOP DATA COMPILED BY EVAN MARSHALL

38 SPECIAL (2 inch barrel)
67 % 125 gr Remington JHP +P
67 % 158 gr Federal LHP +P
67 % 158 gr Winchester LHP +P
65 % 129 gr Federal Hydra Shok JHP +P

·
What hell, pay attention
7,851 Posts
I wouldnt put a lot of faith in Marshall and Sanow's info. First its pretty old (early 90's), and second, they've been pretty much discredited over the years.

There are a couple of makers making "short barrel" loads for things like the snubbies. Speer's 135 grain SB load was the one I was using towards the end, when I was using my J frames. These days, I think Id just go with the load I practice with, and fairly warm, 158 grain LSWC.

Youre best bet, and really the best chance at getting good results, is to practice regularly and make sure you can realistically shoot the gun, and make the hits you need to make.

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
Personally, I keep Glasser Safety Slugs in my Ruger LCR.
But when I'm in the woods, I carry a J frame with the first two chambers loaded with Speer shotshells & the remaining three with plain old wadcutters & you know what?
At close range, which is the only range for a snub, I'll bet either one would so the job.
The shotshells will act like a solid projectile at close range ( & don't retain markings from the lans & groves BGW) & the old target wadcutters xut a nice round hole in flesh just like they do on paper.
Including blood vessels, arteries, nerves, etc.
Not a reassuring as a nice expanding hollow point, but not a .25 FMJ either . . .

·
Golfer
4,095 Posts
I have Hornady Critical Defense in my .38 spec Ruger snubbie. According to the literature it only expands to like .42" but does it every time, even with rounds as low powered as a .380, so I use the non +p version

·
2,187 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't like the idea of a .380.
The cartridge is so much smaller that .38 spl so it simply can't match the ooomph.
No matter what kind of wonder bullet design they come up with, the .380 is always going to have an upper limit of performance, which is always going to be lower that what I can accept.
Just like with the old .25 auto, I swear I think I'd feel safer armed with a nice ball peen hammer . . .
To each their own.

·
2,187 Posts
"I wouldnt put a lot of faith in Marshall and Sanow's info. First its pretty old (early 90's), and second, they've been pretty much discredited over the years."

True, but OMG, this makes me feel OLD.
Back in the Jurassic Era, I actually met Sgt. Marahall at a Survival Seminar.
Very bright guy, rare combo of education & street smarts.
Way back then, Detroit did not allow hollow point ammo. His solution? A Mod 29 .44 mag with .44 spl loads.
His best advice that week? Even L.E. has the same rights as everyone else, so stay silent til you talk to YOUR Lawyer.
Pressured to provide a statement? "Tell em you have chest pain & need to go to the E.R. Even IA can't budge a good Nurse".
I guess I'm as dated at their data, LOL.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
My pistol is sensitive to light projectiles. Major elevation issues and it has fixed sights. I find a cast 150 grain hollow point loaded on the warm side hits where I point it. I have never done social work with it, so I can't give info on performance. My gut feeling is that it will work. In the '70s is used a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter seated backward over 3 grains of bullseye. Never did social work with that round either.

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
My load is Dead Soft copper flash-plated 148 gr DEWCs from Rainier Ballistics. I load em HOT with Bullseye, so not much flash. They actually clean and burnish the barrel, and they mushroom nicely.

Way cheaper than Buffalo Bore Short Barrel fodder - promotes practice.

·
Retired, Uncommon Drunk
1,394 Posts
Chalk up one more for the Short Barrel Gold Dots.....They exhibit very low flash from my snub .357 Magnum S&W, and recoil is manageable for fairly quick follow-up shots.....

I've also used the FBI load from time to time, but prefer the Gold Dots when they're available. Wadcutters ain't no slouch from a snubbie, either:

DocZeus
AKA
The Gold Dot One....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts