Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now lets keep the topic on the intended purpose of the device and nothing over the line or out of bounds.

That is smoke, flare, OC and CS rounds only per the laws of the land. No other discussion. Already read up on the laws. I don't want anything that requires the $200 DD stamp, headaches or worries. Just within the law.

Recently I went through my flares and found they were all expired. In some cases by several years. I had kept all the flares from my boat, when replacing them but also noticed the hand fired rockets and parachutes had been around since before Y2K so they were certainly in need of the water bucket where they are turning to mush and uncoiled paper.

I also have decided to get a little larger stuff than the old olin 12 ga set and an odd ball size that was in with it.

I found these on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113574138
30,000 psi all steel and can take any length of round.

37mm launchers and after doing a little looking around found they make 26.5mm and 12 ga adapters. The whole shmear for around 200 bucks. Sounds like a lot but the plastic 12 ga launcher in the olin set and the rest of it was about 129 to meet CG standards for the boat so its starting to make a little bit of sense to be able to shoot any size flare you may have as well as be able to play with the smoke, and keep OC rounds around if needed.

Plus the 26.5 rounds are super cheap compared to 37mm and even being able to use 12ga meteors in a pinch all seems to make sense. I am aware its big and bulky and would likely be kept in the vehicle. I think the ability to purchase and dispose of the flares and rounds that were the cheapest may be a very good investment, so having the ability to fire all three is good.

Couple questions though. I doubt I would ever reload any rounds. I may however build one to four 'line thrower rounds' which can serve a valid purpose for emergency response. More so around rivers, cliffs, etc. (would use the .38 blanks to power those. No reloads.) This part peaked my interest, as it stops being a toy and can serve a very valid purpose protecting life.

1. How long is the average shelf life for the various rounds?

2. Is the slam fire style (non gun) worth what they are asking for them, or can you pick up used ones of this style at gun shows for about half that?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i work at bass pro shop all of our flares shelf life r 10 years
Those are 12ga right? Just the idea of sticking a 12ga meteor round into that little plastic olin launcher and having to fire it in an emergency scared the crap out of me.

I can imagine if all of the people that had those were to actually shoot them the hospitals would be overflowing. Plastic guns of any kind always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Anyone know the life on the 37 and 26.5 rounds?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no one has one of these? Anyone?

Is this model a good deal at the price?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
So no one has one of these? Anyone?

Is this model a good deal at the price?
A buddy of mine had a 37mm flare launcher. He bought it as one of those spur of the moment buys. After he got it home and showed it to all of his buddies, the "wow" and "cool" factor was gone.

He wound up selling it a few months later. I think he shot it once or twice.

The same question I asked him, I am going to ask you - what are you going to use it for?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flares, Gas and Smoke, (ok it will have some toy use)but primarily as a replacement for the plastic Olin launcher and the stick launchers.

The goal is to be able to put up the larger military size parachute flares and light up several acres at one time. The smaller 26.5mm parachute flares don't do a real great job of giving off light. My old ones were stick type and when we tested one it made a short arc and fell on the ground about 30 yards away without lighting. They were on the ocean for several years before I got them home and had a decade after that in storage.

Second use is CS rounds if there ever came a time when it was required. Hence the importance of knowing shelf life.

The third use would be the toy factor which everyone says wears off quick, so the first two actually the first one is the primary purpose. Not interested in the cool factor so a rifle mounted one is out, and it needs to be a cost effective replacement for equipment that has expired.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick follow up on these. I signed up on Grogs forum, and all of the answers you need to stay safe and within the law are available there and some good folks from newbies to manufacturers to help point you in the right direction.

If you are interested in 37mm or 40mm launchers, everything that you need to know is there. More important they can help you stay legal and avoid safety issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts