Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer, and why? I'm thinking my next handgun will eat one or the other, and I'm trying to decide between the two. What are, in your opinions, the strengths and weaknesses of each? I know it isn't that hard to convert between the two, but I guess the point at issue is which caliber to start with. When I get a gun, I usually shoot what it came ready for and don't mess with conversions. Hehe I'd just rather get another gun!

I'm just curious to hear what you all think.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I own a SIG 229 with both barrels. It is a crap shoot as to which I like better. I would recommend you get a gun with both barrels since the extractors and mags are the same. I tend to carry it more with 40 cal due to cost of rounds. The 357 Sig has some unreal numbers and when you shoot the jelly off the table in tests it is impressive. Again buy one gun and both barrels.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I used to own a .357sig. I liked it alot, recoil was much of a 9mm, however ammo was slightly expensive and was difficult to find at times. All reviews and stats I have read say the .357sig is an excellent defense gun, several federal and civilian law enforcement agencies are currently using the .357sig. However, I think if you were going to use it as a SHTF gun, I would either get the 2 barrels or go with the .40, because ammo is more readily available.

·
Registered
187 Posts
FWIW I have done a few polls on other sites about favorite carry pistols. I also helped design an appendix carry holster for Raven Concealment Systems. In the polls the Glock 19 has been the winner by far. Raven tells me for every other holster they make they make 6 for the Glock 19.

I don't get caught up in the caliber debates because I was involved in a shooting where I shot someone with four rounds of OO Buck, and believe it or not he did not burst into flames and took a very long time to expire.

It is all about shot placement and continuing to better your position with movement and angles.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
In my opinion, for reloaders, .357 SIG is the way to go. Why? 0.357 bullets are cheaper than 0.40 S&W, but you can get bucket-loads of .40S&W Brass for free at whatever range your local LEA trains at.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I really like my Glock 32 (357 Sig), but I have .40 S&W barrel and a 9MM barrel for it.

I re load all 3.

The .40 & 357 mags are the same and use Glock 17 or 19 mags for the 9MM.

I have shot 9MM out of the 357 mags, just for grins, but it has a tendency to double feed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Sig 229 that I bought as a .40 and later picked up a 357sig barrel for it. The 357 barrels are hard to find though so keep that in mind. Of all things I ended up finding a 226 length ported barrel at my local shop for $150. With the porting it has about the same kick as the 40 does. Although it is a bit snappier if you know what I mean.

If it was me, I would plan on having both barrels for the pistol. I think I would actually buy the 357sig model and pick up the 40 barrel later since most places have the 40 barrel in stock but not the 357sig barrel.

·
Registered
645 Posts
seriously, for a SHTF gun, the 9mm trumps it all in a hand gun. There is a lot of awesome ammo out there for the 9mm and you will never have a problem finding the caliber in general. If you want a fun gun or a "I'm not worried about the future" gun for carry-pick what ever you want.

SHTF came up, I can't help it.....It's just the truth!

There are alot of great calibers out there but only one that you can depend on when SHTF/TEOTWAWKI........and this is becomeing more of a reality every year, prepare smart!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts