Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to standardize on .22's, and EITHER .357, OR .45 Colt. Note that I'm NOT speaking here about the ACP, but rather the old "long Colt" as associated with the Peacemaker.

I would want to standardize on revolvers (both SA and DA) and a lever action rifle, same caliber as the pistols. Intended purposes would include plinking, home protection, and hunting critters as big as a whitetail deer or wild pig.

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts about which caliber would be better. :)

And yes, I realize that ".30/30 or .243 or .308 etc. would be better for deer" and that some will prefer "a high capacity 9mm pistol and an interchangeable caliber carbine for home protection"....but I'm really just interesting in your thoughts as to whether the .357 or the .45 Colt is the better choice for these purposes.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Banned
630 Posts
Smoothbore,

I own a ruger blackhawk(3 screw) with a 71/2" barrel, the 45 colt can be handloaded up to .454 casull power...all loads from the major manufacturers are anemic pushing a 250 gr bullet around 700-750 fps. the "olde" blackpwder load pushed a 250 gr bullet at a 1000fps out of a 71/2 IN BBL.

·
Registered
428 Posts
tarus makes a revolver called the judge that can take the .45 long colt and .410 shotgun shells. might be an option for you. if it was me i would probably go with the .357 mag. you can get some really nice long barreled jobs that could be used for hunting and shoot .38 special out of it like fish pointed out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have and prefer the .357 combo. I have a ruger GP 100 and a marlin Lever gun between the two you can protect yourself and shoot any deer sized game out to 100 yards easy. Plus, both work with .38 special. No recoil to speak of in the rifle and with the proper ammo for what your hunting it should cover all the bases..357 comes in so many different configurations ...more is better.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
45LC is a wonderful round but for general use ie: survival/hunting I would go with the 357 mag good for hunting, cheaper to reload and you can use 38 sp in it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 357 is the more versatile, and with 38 spl. the easiest to find ammo and components for. Both are fine calibers, and able to take deer out to 100 yards or so. The 45 Colt has slightly more potential, _if_ you handload for it,but in factory loads the difference is negligible.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Well one has to consider a few things here. Are you a reloader? For if you are then it changes the whole ball game.

On WWW.leverguns.com there is an artical on loading the the .45 LC up to .454 Casuall pressures. Making the rifle a 800+ yard rifle with after market sights and practice.

The .357 magnum off the shelf is a but shelf of it's former self unless it's handloaded unless one goes to WWW.Customcartridge.com or WWW.Buffalobore.com for full charge ammo. The max the .357 can do with sights and practice is 500 yards and by that time we're talking only .38 Spl hittting power with a 170gr bulliet.

Now many of you are already questioning the distaces were quoting here your proably saying it's only a 100yard gun and ..... Not true. it depends on what your shooting . You see some gunwriters and state gamelaws state that your weapon and ammo has to give 1000 FPE at 100 yards in order to kill game cleanly. Truth is are lots of obsolete cartridges that our grandfathers and great grandfathers used that produced a lot less energy than that and were still consider excellent game cartriges for their day.

So if one ever had to engage a bad guy at distance on shouldn't give up for according to the US secret service a gun only needs 58 FPE to induce a casualty. So just like a well trained shooter with a full size service revolver he can shoot to 100 yards and beyond with his 200 FPE cartrdige yet still kill someone if he hits them in the right spot. There been many casualties of intensional and or stray handgun rounds being fired to much longer distaces than thought possiable by many "experts"

So as far as making the choice between .357 Mag and .45 LC isn't easy unless you reload then it's obvious.

If you don't reload then I'd say go with the .357 Mag or if you want bigger and more powerful go .44 Mag. For it has more commercial loaded heavy loads available because the ammuntion manufacters don't have to worry about forcing cone cracking in Smith and Wesson K frame revolvers (thus the lower charged .357 loads versus their 1935 charge pressures). and thus load the .44 magnum closer to their potential of the shelf.

Either way I'd go for a Ruger Hawk in .44 Mag or 45LC and a Marlin 1894 in the same caliber to do my work for me.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am quite pleased with my Ruger GP100 and Winchester 94 combo in 357 mag. If I had to get up and go and could only take one handgun and one long gun this would be the set I would take. A lot of that is personal preference, but a lot is effectiveness also. The 357 magnum is an awesome killing round, deer, hog, bad guy... doesn't stand a chance.

I do some 38 special shooting, but prefer the full house magnum rounds and find that both weapons seem to like them better as well. I think it takes getting used to for some. Buddies of mine that are used to 9mm or even 45 semi auto''s are not comfortable with the magnums.

Next up for me is a Ruger redhawk and a Marlin 1895 stainless, both in 44 magnum.:cool:

John

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
.357 hands down, plenty of power, more common and cheaper ammo and reloading components.

Reactions: Brew

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The 357 is the more versatile, and with 38 spl. the easiest to find ammo and components for. Both are fine calibers, and able to take deer out to 100 yards or so. The 45 Colt has slightly more potential, _if_ you handload for it,but in factory loads the difference is negligible.
not so There are full boat 45 LC factory loads available from multiple manufacturers that make .357 loads look like they were shot from an airgun,

·
Registered
215 Posts
not so There are full boat 45 LC factory loads available from multiple manufacturers that make .357 loads look like they were shot from an airgun,
A little hyperbolic there, aren't we ? Yes, there are specialized heavy loads available, and I should have been more specific. In _readily available, factory ammo over the counter_, at most gunstores, the selection is limited enough that my statement is functionally true, _in my area_.
Obviously, YMMV.....

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
The .357 combo, hands down, tho I hope standardization doesn't mean selling off the latter...since the .45 colt is such a great cartridge...
Peter

Reactions: Brew

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
My vote is also for the .357 magnum/.38 special combination. The .45LC is a nice round and it is an effective manstopper but the .357 is a better all round, more practical and cheaper way to go. Both rounds will work to stop a bad guy but all things considered, the .357 is the better choice.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
.357/38 is my choice. Only the .357 an 44 magnums defeated the frag vests. .45 auto did not penetrate through.

Lever guns are available in either, and are both fine for deer, pigs etc. being able to load .38s is a big bonus though.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
.357/38 is my choice. Only the .357 an 44 magnums defeated the frag vests. .45 auto did not penetrate through.

Lever guns are available in either, and are both fine for deer, pigs etc. being able to load .38s is a big bonus though.
hmmm, a .44 special did not?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Smoothbore:
1. I know exactly how you are thinking. Been there, done that.
2. We both know .45 cal vs. .357 is not the issue. Which GUNS can you do without.
3. I sold a Henry .45 cal. and Ruger Vaquero, and kept a .357 66, .38 snub and .357 lever action Marlin.
4. I'm happy with my choice. Kids can easily use the Marlin.
5. .357, .38 ammo a LOT cheaper than .45 LC.
Hope this helps. You are doing the right thing. If things go bad, once you have a certain minimum level of protection, guns will be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

the question isnt about the .45 acp it refers to the .45 Long Colt... which has more power than the .357

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I'd go 357. As for alot of reasons already stated, plus in a SHTF situation, if you had to scrounge for ammo, your odds of finding 38 or 357 will be alot better than 45LC.

Reactions: Smoothbore
1 - 20 of 36 Posts