Survivalist Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
357 vs 38 special

well I've been shooting pistol for over 30 years and if I was in your shoes I would buy a 357. either a Smith model 28 27 model 586. 686 or a Ruger security six or a GP 100 . if you fire too many 38 specials out of a 357 you will get a ring in the cylinder if you don;t clean it properly.

it's so easy to reload for a revolver . you can make barn burners or power puff rounds . I like it when flames come out the end of the gun or I get bord fast . as for the others that said some new Remington shotguns were garbage I have heard the same . and someone said the safety's on new Mossberg shotguns are falling off well that would'nt stop me from buying one .

the first thing your susposed to buy after buying a new gun is to have some fun with it to see how it functions and then strip it down and check it over. and if you afraid something is going to fall off or a screw is going to back out and render your firearm out of service at the most inopertune time which makes me crazy then for heavens sake put some lock tite blue on the treads to keep things together.

clean all the oil off the treads with lighter fluid first. good luck on your choice my friend and most of all when you go to buy something stick to your guns- no pun intended cause some people at gunshops will try to talk you into buying what they can't sell .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Youngprepper77

Archlight610: Thanks. I think the .38 will be enough for me. And I understand your point about concealability, but I don't plan on waltzing into town when the SHTF. I plan on bugging in, even though info have a last ditch bugout plan. I still can't see a handgun being used as a main weapon.
Hoplite69: I'm looking for practicality for my uses. Not sheer stopping power.
9mmParabellum: Thank you so much, but if I get a .38 it'll be a Taurus 82.
UncleHenry: I have no problem with single actions, and that would probably be the ultimate survival revolver. But as I said cost is a huge object.
ballpeenhamster: Thanks!

Now with that done, I need to clarify a few
things.

Alright. I'm 13 and I'm the only true prepper in the family. I have assembled a complete SHTF arsenal minus a centerfire handgun (Stevens Model 200 .308 for long range, Type 56 SKS as MBR, Ruger 10/22, Remington 870 express mag until I can get the mossberg 500 combo, Browning Buckmark). Of coarse I'm also stockpiling Food, water, ammo, survival gear, etc but this is a firearms thread.

There seems to be a general dislike of the .357 in my family.
My uncle had a S&W Model 66 and said it was too loud and he couldn't hit crap with it.
My dad had a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and said the same thing.

If coarse I know both of their opinions are unjustified, as no one in my family wore any hearing protection back then (the 80's is when they had them) and neither ever shot .38 special in them. The noise probably made them flinch leading to the accuracy problems.
Neither of them are really the kind of shooters you and I are. They don't go to the range (I've never even been to one) , they don't go out and shoot for fun, etc. They really just shoot to practice and line up their guns. And to hunt, of coarse. And no matter what I try I can't convince my dear old dad to give the .357 a chance. I'm in a bit of a stalemate here and I don't know what to do.
Youngprepper77 I don't want to school you, you seem like you know and how to handle your firearms. As far as so called bug out bags and preparing for when SHTF and if you do have to leave your home or if you are away from home and armed, remember, you don't want to be carrying a huge bag of goodies you will be a target. You want to blend in and look scummy like you have already been robbed. Buy some BDU's or some britches with pockets you can carry MRE's and what you need and able to carry lightly. Having a huge bug out bag will slow you down and you will be a target. Same with a vehicle, someone with a huge 4X4 all decked out and loaded will be a target. Blend in that is one key to surviving. Some may disagree. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Youngprepper77 I don't want to school you, you sound like you know your firearms. As far as so called bigout bags remember you don't want a huge backpack. It will slow you down and you will be a target. Even though you are armed you don't want to have to fight for what you have. You want to look scummy like someone has already robbed you. Buy some britches with a bunch of pockets and stuff your clothes you are wearing with what you need. I am not saying a bugout bag is wrong what I am saying is be careful when SHTF. Any kind of people I don't care how good they are now they will do anything for water and food etc... Blend in and carry what you can without being noticeable. Some may disagree. Any thoughts? I know I got off subject about the topic what I am saying is even if you are armed you don't want to have to use it.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
357 is completely underestimated IMHO.
I know you're talking about a pistol, but a decent 4"-6" revo can hold up to 8 rounds, not shabby. SD/HD you won't be under gunned.
357 in a lever gun can defeat body armor, take a deer, kill pretty much anything you need to kill. It's the real deal, esp in a 158gr hardcast.

Now I would say that if you're going to need a pistol SHTF, you might want to get something that has higher capacity, and is easy to conceal. No pistol round is a great 'man stopper,' so you'll need more than one. Or two, or even five.
Having 15-17 rounds on tap is a good feeling...

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,772 Posts
Buy the .357, for long term versatility and sue 38's if you want...you always have the option but if you buy a 38, that's all you have...you are aware that the 357 shoots 5 different calibers?...the 38 doesn't..I outfitted all four of my family members with 357's and load 38 +P in the kids guns....SHTF, you can shoot whatever you pick up...JMO

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.