Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Anti-Communist
718 Posts
I'd like to start off by saying that this is NOT another one of those pointless "which is better" threads (whew :cool:) I'm just going to ask which would be better for my needs. I realize that with a .357 Magnum you can shoot either for more versatility, but I really only intend for it to be a self defence weapon, maybe to go in the glovebox and temporarily as a home defence "nightstand" gun until I can get a Mossy 500 Field/Home combo. Also as a fun gun to punch paper with and blow crap up with, but hey, all my guns do that :D:

I intend on using it as a backup weapon for SHTF, because IMO in a SHTF scenario really a handgun of any kind should only be used as a backup weapon if your rifle or shotgun malfunctions or for some odd reason, it isn't on your person (which it probably should be at all times. I don't intend to use it for hunting. Although loaded with snakeshot it would make a good snake gun... but I already have my Rossi .410 for that.

So what i'm really asking is, do I really need to save up the extra money for a .357? Or would a .38 Special suit my needs? Well actually, it'll probably end up being a Christmas gift, but since my family's kinda broke, money is still an object.
The mossberg combo is cheaper, if you want a mean-time gun get that instead.

·
Registered
780 Posts
stay away from the mossy and go for the 870. It is probably only about an extra $75. and it wont fall apart.

Most agencies in the us with the exception of a very few, probably because of budget issues, will not ever touch a mossy. Also read the shotgun boards. Eventually the thumb safetys all fall off when riding in a patrol car and then the safetys and their retaining screws end up getting vaccuumed up by accident at the motor pool.

Also go for a .357 4" and you will have no buyers remorse. If you have $$$$ issues go for an old Ruger Security Six and you will probably never get rid of it!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'd like to start off by saying that this is NOT another one of those pointless "which is better" threads (whew :cool:) I'm just going to ask which would be better for my needs. I realize that with a .357 Magnum you can shoot either for more versatility, but I really only intend for it to be a self defence weapon, maybe to go in the glovebox and temporarily as a home defence "nightstand" gun until I can get a Mossy 500 Field/Home combo. Also as a fun gun to punch paper with and blow crap up with, but hey, all my guns do that :D:

I intend on using it as a backup weapon for SHTF, because IMO in a SHTF scenario really a handgun of any kind should only be used as a backup weapon if your rifle or shotgun malfunctions or for some odd reason, it isn't on your person (which it probably should be at all times. I don't intend to use it for hunting. Although loaded with snakeshot it would make a good snake gun... but I already have my Rossi .410 for that.

So what i'm really asking is, do I really need to save up the extra money for a .357? Or would a .38 Special suit my needs? Well actually, it'll probably end up being a Christmas gift, but since my family's kinda broke, money is still an object.
Aren't you 13 years old? How exactly are you going to buy either of these firearms?

·
Anti-Communist
718 Posts
stay away from the mossy and go for the 870. It is probably only about an extra $75. and it wont fall apart.

Most agencies in the us with the exception of a very few, probably because of budget issues, will not ever touch a mossy. Also read the shotgun boards. Eventually the thumb safetys all fall off when riding in a patrol car and then the safetys and their retaining screws end up getting vaccuumed up by accident at the motor pool.

Also go for a .357 4" and you will have no buyers remorse. If you have $$$$ issues go for an old Ruger Security Six and you will probably never get rid of it!
How many of us are cops. Mossberg 590 quality far better than anything remington puts out lately. New Remington =junk, absolute junk

·
Registered
8 Posts
A S&W Model 681 .357 lives in my night stand. I take 38 rounds with me to the range, shoot a box or two, then shoot a handful of the real deal so I stay accustomed to the big boy boom. There is no question, if you can afford it, buy the .357.

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
have you considered the S&W 915's on gun broker for less than $300?

They're the value version of the S&W 59 used by the Illinois State Police for years. They're a 15 round DA/SA 9mm or as the late Col Cooper would say 'crunchentickers'

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Also something to consider. If you are lazy about cleaning your firearms... then get a .38 Spcl. If you shoot .38's out of a .357 you will build up a carbon ring that might bind the shells of a .357 when you shoot those. Might make the .357 shells harder to eject. I have seen some get stuck pretty good.

·
Consciously Optimistic
1,003 Posts
It's also probably worth stating that since you're 13 you don't have much choice in the matter. You're a minor and from the sounds of it your pops is pretty set in his ways. Even if you scrounged up enough scrap metal and odd job money you couldn't buy anything.

I applaud your interest in guns, but I'd recommend shifting your focus to working on preps that you can actually purchase. It doesn't sound like you'd be outgunned if SHTF tomorrow, when you're older you can buy all the expensive guns you want.

I'm also really impressed with your grasp of the written language and near perfect grammar. Maybe you should focus on being a writer or something along those lines, it could be a lucrative income for you. Or maybe you're actually 35 and you're just having fun. ;)

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
.38 handles most things you want a revolver to handle. I shoot an elderly Colt Official Police, and can put a 150 grain lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint downrange at about a thousand feet per second out of the six inch barrel. That loading will handle most varmints (two-legged or four), and can be built with a swaging die and a minimum of fuss.

The .357 pretty much requires a jacketed bullet to get top results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I say go for 357 just for the versality of it, but carry 38 in it for SD I don't know if any of you have ever shot a 357 without hearing protection, especially out of a short barrell gun, but it will make your ears ring so bad it can make you disoriented.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I vote 357. I have two, a S&W M-19 6" and a Ruger SP101 3". I also have an air-light S&W 38spcl (wife's gun). Shooting full power 357's out of a small barrel is rude on the ears. I would suggest buy a 357, stoke it with 38 spcl +P for personal defense and save the 357's for the woods. I am looking to buy a Ruger 77/357 rifle to compliment my pistols.

While I prefer shooting my semi's for fun, I appreciate the simplicity and versatility of a 357/38 revolver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry to ask a question on someones thread, but i have seen a 38 special police service six, for 350. I have wanted a service/security/speed six for a long time but i wanted it in 357. Should i buy it and if i do should i leave it as it is or conver it to 357. ruger built its 38 sixes on the same frame as the 357s. It is stainless and has a four inch barrel.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
The Problem your dad/uncle is probably based partly on not wearing ear protection, and partly running hot .357s in a medium frame . the Model 66 is a medium frame- the K frame, designed for .38s originally. I run a lot more .38s thru my GP ( and other magnums I have owned) than I do magnums. When I do run magnums, they aren't loaded full house either- more like really hot .38s.

Part of it could also be a matter of trigger control. Ammo could be another part of it.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Since most people can't even shoot a 38 Special with Plus P loads, it doesn't really matter. If you find a good deal on a used 38 in a name brand, buy it and practice with it until you become a decent shot. Using hollow points in the 38 will get the job done. All things being equal, buying a pistol that shoots 357 and 38 is also a good way to go.

If you want to get the job done withoug wquestion do what Dirty Harry did and get a 44 Mag.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.