Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this question off youtube, does anyone have any input or suggestions??

Just wanted your input on a Marlin 1894C Rifle. I was thinking to about buying this rifle(which is chambered in 357 magnum)and using it for a backpacking rifle. I live in South Car Just wanted your input on a Marlin 1894C Rifle. I live in South Carolina and there are no real predators to be afraid of other then the occasional black bear. I have a 357 Rossi revolver but I looking for a great range of distance.
In my opinion, the 357 through a rifle should be good for 100 yard shots on deer and hogs.

The muzzle velocity between a 18.5 inch barrel and a 6 inch barrel:

110 grain bullet:

18.5 inch barrel - 2415 FPS
6 inch barrel - 1682 FPS

So you can gain about 800 FPS with the same bullet by shooting it from a rifle.

In comparison:

357 - 18.5 inch barrel - 158 grain bullet - @1200 FPS

30-30 - 20 inch barrel - 150 grain buillet - @ 2100 FPS

7.62X39 - 18.5 inch barrel - 130 grain bullet - @2100 FPS

When the 357 magnum is fired through a rifle, it is about 800 FPS slower then the 30-30 and 7.62X39.

If the 357 is reduced to a 125 grain bullet, the muzzle velocity increases to @1800 FPS (1700 - 2200) FPS.

All of this data was taken from Speer reloading manual Number 11.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't give you any tech stuff on them, but I love my 1894C. Funny thing is I bought a Rossi 2" to go with it at the same exact time. Since then I have added a S&W 686 4".

It shoots great, doesn't have a lot of recoil, and holds 10 x .357 round. For under 100 yards it works great for me. Not to mention its really light, as I carry it as a back up rifle while hunting using a 30-06 bolt action.

Oh - it is really fun too - gotta love a lever action.:D

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Kev...
1200 fps for a 158 gr. from a .357 revolver sounds about right, from a carbine that figure seems a bit low.
I clock loads with a chronograph and regularly see velocities in the 1700 fps range from a marlin 1894.
Then again maybe I need to slow them down a bit...LOL
Peter

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kev...
1200 fps for a 158 gr. from a .357 revolver sounds about right, from a carbine that figure seems a bit low.
I clock loads with a chronograph and regularly see velocities in the 1700 fps range from a marlin 1894.
Then again maybe I need to slow them down a bit...LOL
Peter
The data I posted was quoted from a Speer reloading manual #11 - not actual loads.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Kev
I dug out my Speer #11 manual and you are right...Thats odd...they are listing velocities that are that low.
Soooo...
I checked the Speer #13 manual and it is more in line with what I getting velocity wise from a Marlin in .357 Magnum...Wonder why the difference...
Peter

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
since it feeds from a reed magazine does that mean it can take any .38 ammo as well?

·
Registered
345 Posts
since it feeds from a reed magazine does that mean it can take any .38 ammo as well?
Sometimes. Marlins can be picky about cartridge overall length. For the .357 carbines the Marlin OM gives a minimum required length of 1.400 inches. Many .38 Special loads will meet that requirement, but some do not, especially the older style jacketed semi-wadcutter style bullets.

The Model 92 clones do not seem to suffer from this issue. I had a Rossi that would happily digest .44 Mags, .44 specials and/or .44 Russians.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
FWIW...
If you are going to shoot .38's in a .357 chamber it's a good idea to thoroughly clean the chamber before switching back to .357's.

What may happen if you don't, is that the longer .357's case mouth can become wedged into the fouling in the forward portion of the chamber left behind by the shorter .38's.

When the .357 is fired under such conditions the case mouth has no where to expand to and release the bullet. Which often results excessive chamber pressure...
Peter

Reactions: catdaddy

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Marlin 1894C

Great rifle, But if one really wants know his rifles strenghs and weakness one needs to go over to both Marlin owners board and Leverguns both first class levergun sites. Do read the sticky about the Marlin jam (its a minor fix) and your in business!

Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Marlin 1894c

I just purchased this wonderful lil Marlin:D and I have to say that it's the funniest rifle I own. I'm using Magtech ammo, cause the local store has plenty, and I just love it.:)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've always liked the idea of the .357 revolver/rifle idea, but sadly, I never bought the rifle. In evaluating some of my "working" guns, I think a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel and a Marlin 1894 would be a good combo for the trail and usage around the old homestead.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
The 1894 in .357 Mag is a sweet little rifle, problem is the price on them just keeps going up and up and up...
Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kev,

I have had one for about 15 months. They are a handy rifle for about 50-80yards . I have handloaded the hornady 180grn XTP JHP for it and have been getting approx 1600 f/s on the chrony.

This is a great hunting projectile and has been quite effective on small to medium pigs at about 50-80 yards (tops) might be stretching it at 100 yards.

Having a revolver of the same calibre (using the same round) would be a good match up.

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always liked the idea of the .357 revolver/rifle idea, but sadly, I never bought the rifle. In evaluating some of my "working" guns, I think a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel and a Marlin 1894 would be a good combo for the trail and usage around the old homestead.

me too. i have the 3" Sp101 but i went with a Rossi model 92 in stainless. it has a Nate Kiowa Jones action job on it and feeds .357s and .38s with equal aplomb.

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 with a 20in barrel. I normally get 1750 fps with a cast gas checked Lyman 358156 SWC bullet. Groups run about 2in at 100 yard with iron sights. Match that with my 6in S&W 686 L-frame and you have a very versatile, fun and practical combination. The only real limitation is that bullet drop is such that you really don't want to try to go out past 125 yards.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,248 Posts
A marlin lever gun in 357 is a nice handy little rifle that shoot cheap reloads. The only thing better is the same gun in 44M.
The shell carrier can be easily modified to allow the action to cycle non standard loads. Necessary if you are loading loads to max revolver cylinder length.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts