Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I I’ve been planning on doing this for A while. I’d like to pick up a revolver and a lever action rifle in 357. I was shopping today and I held a Smith & Wesson seven shot 357 and it just felt great in my hand then I started to look at the lever action guns and got woefully confused so I need some guidance I want a 10 shot magazine I prefer sideloading and side ejecting. So that kind of rules out Winchester and Rossi? The Henry is really nice but I’m not that crazy about loading from the tube which leaves me with a marlin unless somebody else can think of something else I mean I looked at Taylor’s and Cymarron and all kinds of fancy Italian stuff.

So my dilemma is this the later Marlins seem to have a pretty bad reputation for not being very smooth and the 357 that I looked at was like 1100 bucks .
the gun store where I shop told me they have a gun smith he and smooth it out pretty much but that would add another 150 or so.

So what your collective recommendations? Oh and the pistol is a s&w 7 shot revolver. 4 inch barrel. Felt very good in my hands I also like the idea of a Ruger 8 shot. What are your thoughts on these?

Home defense and shtf

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I can not believe that Marlins are $1100 now, that is crazy, check another source. I bought mine for $500, but it was a few years ago. If there are any Cowboy action shooting matches being held in your area I'd go to one and watch and ask questions. They like to talk about their guns. Probably even let you shoot a few rounds if there was time and room.

When I was shooting Marlin was KING. I kind of think the bad rap they are getting now is mostly a whiner fad. Also the guns are supposed to be getting better since the Remington take over is in the past.

When I was shooting the Wins were so bad some dealers wouldn't carry them. Also they are a real pain to clean, a Marlin is easy. Henrys are REALLY over priced, and Rossis were a new untested off brand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FYI- I have read, but haven’t seen, that the newer Henry levers have side gate loading. Hank

·
reluctant sinner
17,584 Posts
Maybe consider a bolt gun instead of only a lever. There was a pump action in 357 but they are hard to find and expensive. The TC or H&R single shots could work. The Savage over/under 20 or 12 ga with a 357 is an option.

Lever guns are not known as tack drivers. Most folks can shoot a rifle better than a pistol. However, with enough practice you could learn to do about as well with a good long barreled pistol as you can with a short barreled rifle.

I have a 94 AE trapper to go with my 29's. Its broke again, has been a POS the whole time time I have owned it (It was a gift). There are no parts so I will need to make/fix them to get it fully operational again. In reality it has 10 shots and weighs as much as both my 29's which will hold 12 shots.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i carry an sp101 3 inch and a 1894 marlin 1970s era and also have a rossi mudera 92 in 357.i never feel under gunned with either combo.both levers are fine shooters.the marlin has a leupold m8 2 power scope and the rossi has a marbel peep sight.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The Marlin CSBL or SBT can be had for less than $1,100if you shop online. Saw a CSBL for about $900 not long ago. Understand your requirements. Just want to toss other there the Ruger M77/357. Bolt action and mag fed. So not as fast to top up as a side loading level. I find that rifle lighter and handier than similar levers. At $700, bit more affordable than a Marlin. -K

·
American by Choice.
511 Posts
GP100 3inch, SP101 2.25 inch and a Rossi large lever model 92 carbine. But with prices being what they are now, I'd also be looking at the Ruger m77/357.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My pairing is running a Taurus Tracker (7 shot) 627, .357 magnum with the 4" barrel, Taurus 605 Protector (snub nosed .357), and a Rossi R92 lever action .357. The Tracker is awesome and Rossi just as much so.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I have a winchester 94 AE. It is functional, accurate at 50 yards and will do the job. I just don't like lever rifles. I have double action pistols. 4" is easier to carry than 6" but 6' is not difficult. The Ruger 77 bolt in 357 is my go to deer rifle. It is accurate out to 100 yards, and more if you are. Smith and ruger make good pistols. I have friends who like colts. I have heard many complaints about taurus. I have one, it is a piece of garbage. What ever direction you go, take your time, do your homework and shoot several before you purchase. remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

·
Start up the rotors
7,656 Posts
My pairing is running a Taurus Tracker (7 shot) 627, .357 magnum with the 4" barrel, Taurus 605 Protector (snub nosed .357), and a Rossi R92 lever action .357. The Tracker is awesome and Rossi just as much so.
As for lever guns, the Rossi M92's are great. Seriously.
I have Marlins, Winchester, and Rossi. The Rossi is just fine, don't be afraid of the name. This is a well made little carbine.

Don't get me wrong, a Marlin is a good choice, but at almost twice the cost, it's not twice the firearm.

My Rossi 357/38 is one of my favorite guns. Light, reliable, fun to shoot. Think Red Rider that kills deer. Shoot light 38's and it's almost the same recoil.

I have a Winnie for historic reasons, great rifle, but I'm not as much a fan of the '94 action. (no disrespect to JMB)
Levers are addictive, you'll probably get more than one. A Rossi is a great place to start.

Reactions: Nikos01

·
Hunter/Survivor
1,038 Posts
I would like to back up the previous posts on the Rossi M92, my Rossi eats up any ammo I feed it. I consider myself lucky and smart to have purchased it 7 years ago. The wood is nothing to write home about but thats ok.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think a 4 inch barrel for a 357 is a sweet spot for length. Nice accuracy and feels balanced, and not to long to get in the way (at least for my Ruger Security 6). I have a six inch Ruger Blackhawk in 357 and sometimes it feels a bit to long but accuarcy is better.

I have a Rossi 92 in 357 it runs ok and I like it. It is a bitty picky on ammo. No .38 specials, and it only likes two kinds of .357 bullet projectile types in 158 grain. That is even after we worked on making it run better but for the 200ish dollars I spent on it I can't complain.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Please, tell me more.

(You aren't limited to current production Marlins.)
As I have stated
I have two Rossi 1892s which were turned by the best SASS gunsmiths
They run good but
The made in Japan Winchesters are really nice out of the box
Nothing is slicker than a tuned Urberti 1873
For a $1k I would spend more and get one of those two
I had to wait months to get in line with the gunsmiths
Adding in the cost of the gun and you are pushing $1k again
Have have had many JM Marlins, 10 or so, and they are a good choice, but are not cheap
New production Remington seems OK

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had good luck with Rossi 1892 puma, but I did have to remove burrs an smooth it up a bit to get it reliable. Very nice little rifle for the money.

I would have no issue buying a new marlin IF i can see it before and run snap caps through it. There are good and bad there. Just have look it over well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts