Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,192 Posts
Those early guns can still use the .311 projectiles, which is the entire point of what I stated about the .357 bullets in a .356 bore.
Yes you can. You just have to watch for pressure signs as you work up the load. Back before you could readily source cast 9mm bullets for hand loading one of the guys in the group used 110 grain lead round nose cast bullets for the 38 special in his 9mm. They measured at .358 to .359". Later he bought a sizing die. After sizing he found he could increase the powder charge without showing signs of excess pressure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I’ll confess to being pretty much totally unfamiliar with .351 Winchester and didn’t realize it was a straight wall cartridge. I was thinking it was a bottle neck, so shame on me.

As to being legal for deer in Ohio, when they first allowed straight wall cartridge rifles a few years ago, they permitted only specific named cartridges. This year they’ve simplified it a lot:

This is the allowed guns for hunting in Ohio for the 2019/2020 season

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season
Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition).
Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.
Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.
Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger. The barrel is measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel.
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Pretty sure this is a .357 cartridge else it would fail, at least one state requires .357 minimum. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive, brass, ditto. I suppose you could find a straight wall caliber, loaded with light bullets, that would be faster. BFD, there usually are exceptions. There's no doubt in my mind that this was designed to fit in the AR from the git. That it can't use regular AR magazines is not that big a deal. Many states limit capacity of semi-autos to 5 rounds. The only drawback I see is Winchester. They tend to give up early and stop making brass readily available. At least they didn't do another .375/38-55 CF.

·
That'll be the day...
3,463 Posts
Swung by the gun desk at Walmart yesterday to find the ammo shelves nearly empty. The exception was 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30..... and 350 Legend.

There was probably more 350 Legend on the shelves than any other cartridge.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Swung by the gun desk at Walmart yesterday to find the ammo shelves nearly empty. The exception was 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30..... and 350 Legend.

There was probably more 350 Legend on the shelves than any other cartridge.

I was very happy to see lots of .350 Legend ammo available even at these times, and at very reasonable prices too.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
So Winchester want's to create a straight wall cartridge for a small select group of hunters in rifle cartridge restricted midwest states and people that want another option in an AR.

More power to them. I'm not sure if enough of them will buy in. But if ammo keeps going the way it is, who know it might be all that is available.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts