Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Nothing is going to change. In the real world that is. When you push a 150 grain bullet that’s 35 caliber with 15,000 more psi than another 35 caliber 150 grain, it’s going to go faster.

I’m also aware your little trying to fit in thing you got going in this cyber world isn’t going to change either. You win the internet, and I know how ballistics work when I’m not reading asinine it’s the same thing posts.

If you take a car and run full speed into it with your body it is giving it a lot of pressure in a short time. It may even “surge” the car briefly. But if you take the same energy and push over 10 seconds then the car is going to go farther. Has the amount of energy changed? One had more pressure and went a shorter distance.

Using that analogy, you are correct that if the same powder was used and more of the same powder was used it would create more pressure and more velocity. But you can use a slower burning powder and create a longer “push” and the bullet gets a slower acceleration but a higher peak speed than if you have it a quick short burst of energy and higher pressure.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,821 Posts
Nothing is going to change. In the real world that is. When you push a 150 grain bullet that’s 35 caliber with 15,000 more psi than another 35 caliber 150 grain, it’s going to go faster.

I’m also aware your little trying to fit in thing you got going in this cyber world isn’t going to change either. You win the internet, and I know how ballistics work when I’m not reading asinine it’s the same thing posts.
completely dependent on the pressure curve, not the max pressure.... slower burning powders can sustain moderate to high pressure longer and will achieve the same velocity at the muzzle as faster burning powders that dont yield as much gas volume.

example 1:

we cannot really compare two different cartridges without comparing the two powders used first. does anyone know what powders they are using the the 350 legend factory loads, ball rifle, stick rifle, ball pistol, flake pistol?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I wouldn't say no to a 350 legend, yet there seems to be some issues over its bore diameter. Some say it's .355 some say it's .357 and nobody is saying it's .358. Until I know for certain that I'm not getting sucked into using a proprietary bullet and all that entails, I'll bide my time..

Reactions: Offrink

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I went to the Ruger site. They list the 350 as having a 9mm bore. That eliminates 38 cal projectiles and pretty much eliminates it for me. If it took 357 projectiles it would be fun to play with and reload.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I went to the Ruger site. They list the 350 as having a 9mm bore. That eliminates 38 cal projectiles and pretty much eliminates it for me. If it took 357 projectiles it would be fun to play with and reload.
That tiny difference in diameters won't matter.

Ruger Mini 30's are bored for a .308 bullet, while most foreign 7.62 X 39 uses a .311 bullet.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
That tiny difference in diameters won't matter.

Ruger Mini 30's are bored for a .308 bullet, while most foreign 7.62 X 39 uses a .311 bullet.

Apparently it does, if you'd taken the time to read the link I provided on the previous page you'd know why.

The listed variance for the bore specs is .354-.357, what I don't get is why they used a .355 bore instead of a .357 bore? I doesn't make any sense. Unless they are looking to shrink the options available to the hand loader or limit the bullet selection to just a few which they'll gladly sell to those looking for the correct bullet in the correct diameter. As far as I'm concerned they screwed the pooch on this one by going with a .355 (9mm) bore.

Reactions: goat daddy

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
completely dependent on the pressure curve, not the max pressure.... slower burning powders can sustain moderate to high pressure longer and will achieve the same velocity at the muzzle as faster burning powders that dont yield as much gas volume.

example 1:

we cannot really compare two different cartridges without comparing the two powders used first. does anyone know what powders they are using the the 350 legend factory loads, ball rifle, stick rifle, ball pistol, flake pistol?
this is the correct answer

max pressure is something that happens for only a small portion of the time the bullet is in the barrel. and the spike or curve is dependent on powder burn rate, barrel length, bullet weight, caliber, etc.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

max pressure is something that happens for only a small portion of the time the bullet is in the barrel. and the spike or curve is dependent on powder burn rate, barrel length, bullet weight, caliber, etc.
7.62 Soviet and 30-378 Weatherby aren’t being compared where this would make a difference. We are talking about two 35 caliber cartridges that are .1” difference in case length where one has a pressure spec 15000 psi less. The 350 can hold more powder in the rifle burn rate instead of being stuck with a couple choices of fast rifle or extremely slow pistol powders. The internet crowd could load up some “identical” to 357 max loads to stave off the imagined pain with their imagined same thing rifle cartridge. Everyone else with 357 mag/max rifle loading experience will know exactly what to do to squeak out 55k psi spec loads and enjoy them when they aren’t being told on the internet “it’s just the same thing” lmao.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts

And semi auto rifles are sensitive to that curve, bad things can happen when there is too little or too much pressure at the barrel port. Makes sense to me, honestly I don't know what DB in on about.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
And semi auto rifles are sensitive to that curve, bad things can happen when there is too little or too much pressure at the barrel port. Makes sense to me, honestly I don't know what DB in on about.
All the rifles I've seen are bolt action. These internet shooters will never see or buy a fake M4 in 350 legend. If one needs to look cyber Kool online to fit in with the electricaly created personalities online then so be it, go get one and shoot factory ammo. You'll find the hunters and shooters enjoying full spec ammo in their bolt rifles. Besides, they'd (the internet shooters) rather have a single shot rifle and a round with 15k less psi to prove to the internet it's "identical" LMAO.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
All the rifles I've seen are bolt action. These internet shooters will never see or buy a fake M4 in 350 legend. If one needs to look cyber Kool online to fit in with the electricaly created personalities online then so be it, go get one and shoot factory ammo. You'll find the hunters and shooters enjoying full spec ammo in their bolt rifles. Besides, they'd (the internet shooters) rather have a single shot rifle and a round with 15k less psi to prove to the internet it's "identical" LMAO.
How many times will you repeat that, continuing to think the end results will be different this time?

You also seem to have forgotten you're the one claiming one of the "advantages" was how it would work in semi-autos

180 grain max loads are 1900fps in 14” barrels. It’s max psi is 40,000psi. Legend hits 2100fps and has a max psi of 55,000psi.

Maximum is significantly lower in SAAMI max psi. It can’t be made to work in semi auto actions. Falls short on ballistics. It don’t matter if it’s been around since the 80s. The 350 legend is not anything near the weaker potential of the 357 maximum.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,186 Posts
Ruger Mini 30's are bored for a .308 bullet.
That has not been true since 1990.

See the response from Roger customer support line:
“Response:
The first production Mini-30 had a bore size of .308-.309, after several years of production; the .310-.311 bore size was manufactured in 1990 on the Mini-30. With factory ammunition, it is ok to shoot the .310-.311 ammunition through the first production .308-.309 bores. Your gun has a bore size of .310-.311.”

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
How many times will you repeat that, continuing to think the end results will be different this time?

You also seem to have forgotten you're the one claiming one of the "advantages" was how it would work in semi-autos
You and your clone troopers can lead the way with getting one that looks like a soldiers M4.
The internet is already aware you have to shoot any cartridge from a cloned rifle or it will purely unacceptable when you log into the web shooting range. The only people who will invest in 350 Legend clone rifles are the ones who will corner prop it and take pictures to post online.

And to the idiot about to make the mini 14moa comment, I beat ya to it. I wouldn't get a mini in that caliber. It's not a general purpose cartridge so it would be a waste when my one rifle is in a general purpose caliber already. So think of something else. Like come back with it's identical to xxx again. Seems to work great impressing the village full of idiots so far, better stick to what's tried and false than go down the 14 moa path.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Well anyway, I'm disappointed they bought it out in .355 instead of .357. It seems like going with a .357 bore diameter is a no brainer, but then again, I'm not the one doing the making and selling, I'm just the one with the pocketbook doing the buying...or not...LOL

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Found a reamer for this cartridge today. That and six boxes of brass ought to give me at least some notion what it's good for. Can get a .357 spud for the reamer if I decide to go with cast lead bullets. This ought to be an interesting cartridge for a paper patched cast lead slug.

Couple fellers over at the Reloading Bench took down some of the ammo. It's a ball powder, and the charge runs from 21 grains on the FMJ to the 22.5 grains and 24 grains on the light bullets. Fellow they talked to at Winchester said it's a custom blend, so no info on canister powders yet.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Well anyway, I'm disappointed they bought it out in .355 instead of .357. It seems like going with a .357 bore diameter is a no brainer, but then again, I'm not the one doing the making and selling, I'm just the one with the pocketbook doing the buying...or not...LOL
You just classified yourself as novice. Haven't even hit your rookie year yet.

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/mercha...oduct_Code=BRD-1-S_355&Category_Code=Specials

Yes, shooters will buy and use that. I know it is so impossible when all you do is repeat what you want to hear. Then think everyone else in your club will follow you, don't worry, they will still. I'm just letting you know shooting in the real world isn't limited to what you read online or copy paste that other uninformed like yourself posts.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Apparently it does, if you'd taken the time to read the link I provided on the previous page you'd know why.

The listed variance for the bore specs is .354-.357, what I don't get is why they used a .355 bore instead of a .357 bore? I doesn't make any sense. Unless they are looking to shrink the options available to the hand loader or limit the bullet selection to just a few which they'll gladly sell to those looking for the correct bullet in the correct diameter. As far as I'm concerned they screwed the pooch on this one by going with a .355 (9mm) bore.
Your link only tells you .357 bullets won't chamber in one particular brand of barrel.

SAAMI says that the Legend can have bullets ranging from .354 to .357.

But PRC tells me .357 bullets won’t chamber in the match-accurate X-Caliber .355 barrels. It therefore has a maximum bullet diameter of .356 and not the more common .357. Bullets for the .358 Winchester won’t work, which is disappointing considering that there is a well-established
That just means the throats are too tight or too short.

It doesn't mean you can't use .357 bullets to load the round.

SAAMI says they are fine.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
So.. If i put the 21" barrel on my contender in 357 max and I will have the same thing as a 350? the key with the 357 max is using a projectile that will stay together on big game. Anything below 160 is supposed to fragment. I load 158 gr cast SWC, 180 gr jacketed or a 140 gr barnes. All are loaded below Max loads. The 350 no longer temps me. Rifle deer season is a couple of weeks away. I'll just sight my current rifles and go from there.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
You just classified yourself as novice. Haven't even hit your rookie year yet.

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/mercha...oduct_Code=BRD-1-S_355&Category_Code=Specials

Yes, shooters will buy and use that. I know it is so impossible when all you do is repeat what you want to hear. Then think everyone else in your club will follow you, don't worry, they will still. I'm just letting you know shooting in the real world isn't limited to what you read online or copy paste that other uninformed like yourself posts.

So just tack another 179.00 bucks onto the price of the rifle for a bullet swedge and you are good to go? Not happening. You are simply pointing out what should have been a slam dunk...isn't. I'm calling it, the 350 legend is on the same trajectory as the .357 max and we all know where that went.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
That has not been true since 1990.

See the response from Roger customer support line:
“Response:
The first production Mini-30 had a bore size of .308-.309, after several years of production; the .310-.311 bore size was manufactured in 1990 on the Mini-30. With factory ammunition, it is ok to shoot the .310-.311 ammunition through the first production .308-.309 bores. Your gun has a bore size of .310-.311.”
Those early guns can still use the .311 projectiles, which is the entire point of what I stated about the .357 bullets in a .356 bore.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts