Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Old Skool
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new cartridge from Winchester called the 350 Legend. Straight wall, rimless and uses 357 caliber bullets. Ruger has an American ranch rifle chambered in it and I'm wondering what's everyone's thoughts on this caliber in this rifle?

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26981.html

The rifle is available in compact and standard version and I believe if you reload it might be a good round to tinker with, just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Not what it seems to be
There are good plug and play options for the AR15
This one is not plug and play.
You can always incrementally increase ballistics
But, if it ain't broke it will endure
30/30 whatever
For me and the AR15
.223/.556
.300 BO
.458 Socom
All true Plug and Play and cover everything I want/need

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Kinda neat, shame it doesn't work in standard AR15 mags.

I've been thinking about something similar, but 308 based.
The new 375 stuff based on the 308 case is interesting also.

·
Old Skool
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I preordered a bolt rifle in this caliber, the Ruger American ranch compact. I found a dealer taking orders and put my name on the list, hopefully soon I'll have it. I also found some very reasonably priced 350 legend ammo, $8.99 a box for 145 gr. I bought 140 rounds and if the rifle shoots well, I'll use this brass to reload for it.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have a 357 max. 180 gr projectile seems to work well. I use a 140 grain barnes for hunting. I would hesitate to use a lead projectile less than 180 gr. for deer. When you get your rifle do some serious penetration testing. The lighter projectile expand rapidly and may not give you the penetration you need on some shots.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ever since I learned how to make .357" bullets from scrap .223 cases, I've been expanding the number of 35 caliber rifles I shoot. The 350 Legend should give me another outlet for the shoulder region bullets I make. I've just attached a 350 Legend upper to a lower receiver I built last year, and now I'm just waiting for a scope to arrive.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,821 Posts
i just found out about the 350 legend... as a reloader it seems pretty fun since its straight walled and takes .357 projectiles, but as a round specific for the AR platform, i'm not sure i need yet another magazine in addition to 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc.

outside of reloading i dont really have a use case for a 357 caliber hunting round since there are so many other options... would be a fun handload experiment.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Aren’t the projectiles actually .358? Wouldn’t that mean there would be an extremely limited amount of projectiles for this round since .357 projectiles couldn’t be accurately used? Also you can’t use modified 223 brass. It would have to be 350 legend brass only.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Aren’t the projectiles actually .358? Wouldn’t that mean there would be an extremely limited amount of projectiles for this round since .357 projectiles couldn’t be accurately used? Also you can’t use modified 223 brass. It would have to be 350 legend brass only.
Wrong on both. I'm really not overly impressed or excited. There are a bunch of other calibers for the AR platform I'd take before this one.
`

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/winchester-legend-350-straight-walled-cartridge-shot-show-2019/

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/

https://winchester.com/350-Legend

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2019/01/31/350-legend-specifications/

https://www.range365.com/winchester-350-legend-birth-legend/

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The base of 223 brass is .3759. The base of 350 legend brass is .3900. While you might not care there IS a difference. Also from the SAAMI drawing states the bullet diameter can be from .3570 - .0030. If I read the drawings correctly that means .3570 to .3600. Not saying that you can’t use .3570 bullets but you can use a tiny larger probably due to variation. I know 450 bushmaster guys regularly use .451 and .452 bullets.

·
Retired and luvin it!
927 Posts
For those in the in the .35 cal camp it looks pretty interesting and a potentially useful addition. From some of the reviews and forum posts on reloading it seemingly provides an option for a lighter recoiling option (like the 6.5CM does) as well as a straight-walled case (albeit slightly tapered) for those in states/counties with straight walled rifle case limitations.

For those in (and out) of the .35 cal camp it also seems a modern option for those with a hint of nostalgia for the older .35's that are still very popular in places like PA and AK. Given the state cost of a box of shells (1/3 to 1/2 compared to a box of 35 Whelen/35 Remington)!

Their use of "Legend" seems to be a tip of the hat to the older .35s. Nostalgia is a one of multiple reasons we've seen a resurgence of the 45-70 as well as some of the items noted above (except for recoil in full strength loads). Our group is heavily invested in the 30 cals along with a number of .45 rifles (45LC, 45-70, 450BM) so it isn't something we're looking at but for many it is an option for both bolt & Stoner-based rifles. Wonder if Henry or Marlin will put a lever gun out in the caliber?

A quick check on the NOE site shows a good variety of .358-.360 molds throwing 165-230gr bullets and a few on MP-Molds up to 220gr (including HP). To me it seems to be about 10-20 years too late but that is just my take on things...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've always been a fan of the .35 Remington. It's everything the .30-30 is expected to be with a wider slug. As a teenager in 1957 I lusted over a Marlin 336 in that chambering.

Twenty years later I lucked into a Remington 141 with a 4X Command Post scope, and it's a favorite.

Tried the Remington 81 and a different, more worn 336, but the 141 has kept its place in my heart.

The Legend in an AR is the last rifle I can think of that makes me smile. Gives a harder smack than the 7.62X39 which I beleve to be a better anti-personnel round than the 5.56 within about 150 yards, what I consider the most likely range of engagement for me.

The thought of a 150 grain SP pistol bullet at 2000 FPS sounds great within 75 yards and good for plinking, too.

I'll want my AR to be seven pounds or so, adjustable gas with a shut-off, threaded muzzle and full length Picatinny rail.

I can still dream.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I've always been a fan of the .35 Remington. It's everything the .30-30 is expected to be with a wider slug. As a teenager in 1957 I lusted over a Marlin 336 in that chambering.

Twenty years later I lucked into a Remington 141 with a 4X Command Post scope, and it's a favorite.

Tried the Remington 81 and a different, more worn 336, but the 141 has kept its place in my heart.

The Legend in an AR is the last rifle I can think of that makes me smile. Gives a harder smack than the 7.62X39 which I beleve to be a better anti-personnel round than the 5.56 within about 150 yards, what I consider the most likely range of engagement for me.

The thought of a 150 grain SP pistol bullet at 2000 FPS sounds great within 75 yards and good for plinking, too.

I'll want my AR to be seven pounds or so, adjustable gas with a shut-off, threaded muzzle and full length Picatinny rail.

I can still dream.
Why not get a 450 bushmaster. Takes a 300 grain hollowpoint to 2000+ FPS and it is accurate to 200 yards easy. Or a 250 groin FTX at 2800 FPS. Or a 200 grain FTX at even faster! (No published reloading data but from what I’ve read of others attempts it reaches a nice 3200fps). Way more kick though.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It sounds like yet another answer to a question no one asked.
Unless you hunt in a limited rifle caliber area like lower MI. it answered the question there of when will someone make a perfect deer cartridge that works within the new laws.

I’m not interested in it but plenty in MI got the answer to the actual question.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Take the 1907 .351 Winchester, repackage it as the 350 Legend (with a few tweaks), and now you have the new hotness. Marketing is an amazing thing...

·
Bear Fighter
1,493 Posts
Take the 1907 .351 Winchester, repackage it as the 350 Legend (with a few tweaks), and now you have the new hotness. Marketing is an amazing thing...
hmm . . . flies faster, hits harder, larger diameter bullet, and almost a half-inch longer case . . . yeah, just tweaks and marketing.

·
American by Choice
555 Posts
I was intrigued when I first saw it. Sufficiently compatible with the AR-15 platform that it only seemed to need a barrel change on an AR, same bolt, would even work with .556 stripper clips and chargers. More up-front industry support than I can remember any new caliber having in the past 30 years, meaning that ammo should be readily available, and very quickly should also be affordable.

Then I realized that mags wouldn't be compatible. Nope. That killed it for me; suddenly I had no interest in it. There are other caliber conversions for the AR-15 platform that offer projectiles of substantially larger diameter than .556, which don't require anything more than a barrel change, AND which still work with STANAG magazines.

But I guess it's still a nice thing for those folks with straight-wall cartridge requirements for hunting. But not for me. It's nice to see continued innovation in the marketplace though.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts