Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://safecastleroyal.com/item_172/35-Cases-Mountain-House-Food-210-cans.html

I want it, problem is it would go on a credit card. I don't have cash on hand and the sale ends in two days. It seems to be the best deal on bulk mountain house I can find. I would'nt have a problem paying it off in a year or so but it would be hard to choke down the price. Is the price of this stuff ever going down? I have other food stores but this is hard to resist. It's even harder because my wife seems to think the stuff is cool and wouldn't mind ordering it. She tried a pouch for dinner tonight and thought it tastes pretty good for what it is. One one hand I know I could buy much more other stuff for this price, on the other it's very convenient and wouldn't need to be rotated/eaten for a very long time. What are your thoughts? Is this sale the best I'm going to find on Freeze dried food these days?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that mountain house is still on sale at beprepared.com and maybe at epicenter as well 20-25% off. theepicenter.com has gourmet reserves as well 10% using the code 337312

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Actually ...

Our current sale prices for Mountain House food is the lowest allowable (as enforced by Oregon Freeze Dry)--25% off.

In addition, right now we are also issuing rebate vouchers for bulk purchases that our buyers club members make. (A one-time $19 membership fee.) A 35-case purchase gets a $500 voucher back for subsequent purchases in our store--use it toward anything except for MH cans. An 8-case purchase gets a $120 voucher.

Lastly--everything in our store always ships free to the lower 48.

Nice forum here, by the way. I'll have to hang out from time to time. :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Our current sale prices for Mountain House food is the lowest allowable (as enforced by Oregon Freeze Dry)--25% off.

In addition, right now we are also issuing rebate vouchers for bulk purchases that our buyers club members make. (A one-time $19 membership fee.) A 35-case purchase gets a $500 voucher back for subsequent purchases in our store--use it toward anything except for MH cans. An 8-case purchase gets a $120 voucher.

Lastly--everything in our store always ships free to the lower 48.

Nice forum here, by the way. I'll have to hang out from time to time. :thumb:
whoa! we got a celebrity here!

at least what we on this forum seem to qualify as celebrities.

i mean tom cruise doesn't do much for me...

·
Registered
146 Posts
http://safecastleroyal.com/item_172/35-Cases-Mountain-House-Food-210-cans.html

I want it, problem is it would go on a credit card. I don't have cash on hand and the sale ends in two days. It seems to be the best deal on bulk mountain house I can find. I would'nt have a problem paying it off in a year or so but it would be hard to choke down the price. Is the price of this stuff ever going down? I have other food stores but this is hard to resist. It's even harder because my wife seems to think the stuff is cool and wouldn't mind ordering it. She tried a pouch for dinner tonight and thought it tastes pretty good for what it is. One one hand I know I could buy much more other stuff for this price, on the other it's very convenient and wouldn't need to be rotated/eaten for a very long time. What are your thoughts? Is this sale the best I'm going to find on Freeze dried food these days?
I'm going to take the contrary view. I'd say putting 5K on a credit card during an economic recession that could turn into a depression is a bad idea. That's why I'm buying beans and rice.....

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
While I have been extremely tempted to grab some cases of MH for their simplicity, I would not advocate spending money you don't have. The ONLY advantage I see to pre-packaged stuff like MH is simple convenience; you can put it in deep storage and forget about it. I don't think that's worth the cost of going into debt.

IMO the most likely incidents that would require food reserves (blackouts, etc.) only put you a few days to a week without store access. I'd hate to have to crack open pricey, 30-year space food because of a week-long blizzard or a two day blackout. Since you mentioned you already have some food stores, why not compromise and buy a case or two now? You won't get that 25% deal, but how much interest are you going to pay while dealing with that $5000 bill? And that puts a strain on your finances, leaving you with less financial flexibility.

Buying something on credit at a discount just means you are going into a little less debt when you buy it. You don't save money by spending money. I will likely get a case or two of MH for the convenience, but not until I have a stash of conventional food built up first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts