Survivalist Forum banner

$33 Schrade Bowie knife, lowest price in 4 years

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Trip Wire 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
I stopped buying schrade stuff when they moved out of the USA. Agree on the cold steel.
The Schrade is a better deal on sale right now at $33 and free shipping. The Cold Steel is cheaper price $24 but after ($12) shipping works out to be similar priced, or actually almost 10% more than the Schrade. Steel is equivalent. Handle is better. Sheath is better. And as to where it's made, apparently the Cold Steel is made in S. Africa. So pretty much any knife in this price range is imported. Spent 10x this amount and get an American made blade.

#6 ·
Just because someone charges more it doesn't mean it is 10X better.
That would be hard to quantify. That sounds like some of the elites I came against in BushcraftUSA.
I have taken that "cheap South African" blade to Alaska and back and it worked as it was supposed to. Before that I took it out back and hacked and chopped my way around my back woods and abused it a lot on purpose and it just worked. That is why it went to Alaska. Unless it was a light saber it would have been hard to improve the performance. Then again I do not use it for skinning out T-Rexs on a daily basis so I don't know what the life will be.
BUT
I have used the CS Bushman knives made by the same folks for a very long time. You cannot break them and I have been using one for a thrower for years. It was never meant to be a thrower but what the heck... Nothing is harder on a blade than throwing.

The last Schrade I owned was carried a lot and used a little but it did suffer blade failure on me so I cast Schrade aside. I know, shouldn't judge a whole line by one failure, but with so many to choose from.. I just stay with my cheap out of country made CS knives that have never failed me and given me more value than any other blades I have found and used through my 60+ years of camping.

#12 ·
I bought a few of their Ireland made knives on a crazy clearance years ago, pretty nice.

I really liked one model so I bought another after they moved to China...OMG such complete crap. But I've handled some of their newer Chinese knives, and China isn't all crap anymore.

But I would be suspicious of the quality of this much steel at this low of a price. Something has to give, and I'd rather it not be the knife's edge or temper.

#13 ·
+1 for this beast.

After watching glowing reviews on this, I placed an order and got it in the mail. It's an impressive tool. It feels almost "short sword" sized. Very glad I ordered. I watched probably 5-10 online abuse tests and saw it perform very well, so was confident in the inexpensive Chinese steel used.

Overall, my unboxing impressions are that it is well made with minor imperfections in that the blade is not perfectly straight and off by a hair. Blade is otherwise perfect, gorgeous, and razor sharp. The balance and weight are excellent. The handle is very ergonomic and comfortable. I was disappointed that mine did NOT have the lanyard hole beneath the blade, it just had the hold at the base of the pommel. The kydex sheath is very well constructed. My only complaint is that it is not set up for a left handed user. It seems a better ambi design should be made.

I'm very confident this knife is up for the designed and intended tasks.

I assume it will perform as I've seen in many videos. For the $33 I paid, I'm very happy.

#18 ·
We have Cold steel (lots of them) and Ontario. The last few years I was on active duty I used a Marine raider bowie. When I got out, I gave it to my sister who still uses it for search and rescue. I have an SP8 wood processor to replace the bowie.

Mrs Wire has her Cold Steel Kukrui machete, next to her bed. It is lighter than most, and cheap $17 bucks. Its only job is to repel entry form the bed room window. She also has a 357 mag, but the paper work to keep her concealed is not worth it. Besides, she prefers blades.

I told my Bro to by one, but he is trying to compare every knife to the K-bar he has carried for 3 decades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.