Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local gun shop the other day and they had a Savage .223, with a scope for $329 New In Bow (NIB). I was told that I could get the same gun in a variety of different chambering such as 308, 30-06, 270, 25-06 (maybe), etc all for the same price. Does anyone know of which model I am speaking? I did not ask at the time but now I can't do further research.

If you know anything about this gun, please tell me so I can do some research as this will be my first center-fire rifle.

I would really like to find a some guns chambered for NATO rounds, so I guess that would be 5.56mm for the .223 or 7.61x51 for the 308. Would this make sense as I could then use the .223 and .308 winchester loads in addition to any NATO loads? I look at it similarly to buying a 357 when you intend to shoot 38spl's.

So, any ideas on what model this gun may be? Is it a decent model?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's probably an edge/axxis. (good) Scope is junk, probably simmons (bad).

Get an Edge/axxis for $269 then get a decent scope like a Nikon Prostaff, Burris fastfield, or Redfield. I'd also later add a Rifle bascis adjustable trigger for it.

My edge with Burris Zee rings, Nikon 3-9x40 prostaff. I get very good results and through plently of ammo have yet to have a single issue.

One thing to note, the Axxis ONLY comes in long action. If you want a short action rifle (NATO calibers) I'd get a Stevens 200 and then top it with above reccomended scopes. If you want lots of tacticool doo dads the Stevens also wins out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pass on the Edge/Axis...when you get more money down the road, you will want a better stock and barrel and the Edge/Axis is not going to allow you to upgrade.

On the Savage rifles, you are going to see the model on the barrel on the left side of the barrel near the receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts