Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the 32/20? It was passed down from my grandpa, to my dad and now to me. Need info!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the 32/20? It was passed down from my grandpa, to my dad and now to me. Need info!
Well first off what kind is it? make model barrel length..?

Mine belonged to my grat grandfather, a Winchester 73

It has a long heavy barrel and crescent buttplate. seemed a bit overbuilt for a low power round, but then I realized it hangs perfectly for offhand shooting.

As a black powder load it isnt very powerful, may have about filled the role that a .22 LR or mag does now as a small game / varmint round

Hotter loadings are only suitable in newer guns of course. A book from the 1930s mentions that the bp load gave 1400 fps, and the smokeless about 1700. he complaiend they'd pretty much ruined the round because the higher veolcity tore up a rabbit or other small game too much. Faster isnt always better!

You can find plenty on line about the round. Type in .32-20 winchester and off youy go. A very similar round is the .25-20, both were quite popular at one time and plenty of deer were taken by each, tho its not legal now for that.

I also have a DA revolver in that caliber, and it seems like a pretty decent handgun round.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts