Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 308 cal rifle, I currently already have a long range rifle capable of 800M engagements, (Rem 700 Police tactical) I also own an AR- (carbine) set up just like an M4. I'm planing on building a mini-SASS in 5.56. so i will have 2.

However I'm looking for a semi-Auto rifle that I use as a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Something that is capable of 500M engagements.

Here are my requirements:

Must be capable of adding optics (scope), preferable by way of a rail.

Semi Auto

Magazine fed (hopefully mags are cheap)

1-2 MOA Accuracy (1"-2" at 100yds)

Reliable

18"-20" barrel (prefer 20")

$1500 or so.

AR-10
I was specifically looking at the AR-10 SASS but they are way more than what I want to spend. I thinking possibly buying the upper i want then buying the lower seperatly but idk.

PTR-91
Are HK parts 100% interchangeable? Also Are HK lowers swapable, can i get a select fire hk lower and swap it on there for 3 shot/ full auto capability (I know ATF rules apply, I'm wondering for SHTF purposes)

FN/FAL
???

M1A
???

Any insight or help deciding would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just went through the same dilemma and chose the PTR-91.

However, for your requirements, i might lean towards the m1a scout.

I highly recommend you grab a copy of "boston's gun bible" and read his extremely thorough categorical break-down on all of the above. It was very useful in helping me with my choice.

The final pebble that tipped the scales towards the g3 for me was ruggedness. I haven't fired a single round out of it yet though, so as always i reserve the right to change my mind later and try something different.

God Bless America eh? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best buy on 308 right now is the PTR GI form CDNN at $900 + shipping and transfer fees. Mags are cheep is the understatement and around 2 min of angle is within reason with any ammo that I shot out of mine.

The auto lowers are pinned and the semi's are cliped and pinned. As far as conversions go others will be able to say.

I should add that I have a PTR, M1A1, and SCAR.

·
Ready?
136 Posts
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents. I love my new Rockriver lar-8 elite operator:D:. I truly in love with this weapon, it is very accurate I'm damn near driving tacks at 500 yrds. Ive got a hundred or so rounds through it now with not even one miss feed. Read the reviews on this gun. The reviews are great and I think its actually better than the reviews. I got mine for $1,480 plus tax:thumb:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with any of the three - ptr91, m1a or the fn/fal. I dont see where ar10 is an option due to the magazine issue.

However, there are a lot of cheap fn/fals on the market, if you get one, buy the DS Arms

·
Ready?
136 Posts
My Rockriver takes fal mags. Rockriver sells recon ones for $30. Don't sound like a problem to me.
Oh ya when I talked to Rockriver last week they said that in two weeks they're going to have brand new mags for $50

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I was in the same boat as you are now several years ago. Requirements were the same as yours, plus a few more to boot.

After trying out the FAL, and HnK91 for myself,(among others) I ended up going with the M1A/M14S for a DMR, which is also my general purpose rifle.

My .02 below.............

1500 bucks = Springfield Armory Inc (SAI) rifles. Either a standard (22in bbl), or a Scout (18in bbl)....... and possibly a Loaded model if you find a good deal on one. Either should meet your precision/distance requirements if you do your part. I prefer the 18's myself.

Optics mounts: I always suggest going with a good quality mount, such as SEI, Sadlak, ARMS, or Bassett. I personally like the last two types mentioned, and really am coming around to the Bassett mount, the more I use it. It doesn't require removal of the cartridge clip guide, is very solid for retaining zero, and once zeroed, it can be removed with optic left in place, and installed later without loss of zero. Also very simple to use, and would meet your requirements for a rail, along with 20MOA built in as well.

www.bassett.com

Semiautomatic/magazine fed means good quality magazines if you like reliability. Current production CMI magazines are very reliable from my experience with them with several different types of M14S/M1A, and M14 service rifles.

44mag.com sells the real thing, and are exactly the same as my issued M14 mags at work. $25 bucks each for the 20rd mags with NSN.

The rifle at top is an M1A-A1 Bush rifle

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you eventually decide upon.

11B

·
Registered
99 Posts
AR-10. In my opinion the best option available. With a plethora of mods, including a match grade barrel / upper you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
AR 10 or a Remington R25 due to the capability of changing the barrel or the whole upper.
As far as magazines go Pmags 18.99 or C-Products SS mags 15.99

One point of consideration is straight line recoil from the barrel through to the stock on the modern weapons. Unfortunitly the M1A has a good sized offset that produces more rotational force that ends up as more muzzle climb

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 308 cal rifle, I currently already have a long range rifle capable of 800M engagements, (Rem 700 Police tactical) I also own an AR- (carbine) set up just like an M4. I'm planing on building a mini-SASS in 5.56. so i will have 2.

However I'm looking for a semi-Auto rifle that I use as a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Something that is capable of 500M engagements.

Semi Auto

Reliable

$1500 or so.

You've just described the perfect rifle, It's an M1A, get a Socom or a Scout Squad. You won't regret it.

Buy an MIA and then save up and get a SAGE EBR stock. It improves the accuracy big time!

·
East young man, go East!
618 Posts
I just sent off a M14 parts kit to be assembled on a new forged reciever. All parts except for the reciever will be USGI. Total cost, $1865.95 with a spare bolt headspace to rifle. It would be closer to $1600 without the extra bolt.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Hey all,

Semi Auto

Reliable

$1500 or so.

AR-10
I was specifically looking at the AR-10 SASS but they are way more than what I want to spend. I thinking possibly buying the upper i want then buying the lower seperatly but idk.

PTR-91
Are HK parts 100% interchangeable? Also Are HK lowers swapable, can i get a select fire hk lower and swap it on there for 3 shot/ full auto capability (I know ATF rules apply, I'm wondering for SHTF purposes)

FN/FAL
???

M1A
???

Any insight or help deciding would be greatly appreciated,

DMR?

semi-auto at 500 meters (5 football fields)

why?

I'm looking for a rifle that can reach out to 300-400 meters but also be useful short range (20-100 meters)

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DMR?

semi-auto at 500 meters (5 football fields)

why?

I'm looking for a rifle that can reach out to 300-400 meters but also be useful short range (20-100 meters)
Why not? Because I'm a law abiding American. I'm in the military and I've served as a sdm, I've also been to sniper school. I own an m24 clone and have engage targets out to 800m with it. Thanks for letting me know how far 500 meters is, however you are incorrect, 500m actually is equal to 546.80yds.

As to your question of why? One word capability. I have long range capability, I have short range capability, but I want something for in between, that can do short range with more knock down power. With a 3-9x40 you can deffiniatly
Handle short range.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts